Is This the Way Forward?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This the Way Forward?

Folks, I have been toying with this idea for quite a while, and I think the time has come to throw it out there.

One of the major problems I have when assessing the case is trying to envisage the murder sites and the outlying environs.

Paul Begg’s book “Jack the Ripper: CSI Whitechapel” included some well rendered illustrations which did help flesh out the layouts of some sites.
    His forthcoming book apparently includes over 30 CGI reconstructions of the crime scenes and other locations. I have no doubt that this book will help me to understand even more the streets and locations that the murderer and his victims walked.

I have no doubt that these reconstructions will greatly assist us all in understanding more about the case, but can we go further?

I have no idea as to how many members are registered on these boards, but I would suspect it is a healthy number.

In short, I am querying whether it would be feasible for all members (or at least those that buy into my idea) to contribute a sum of money to fund a CGI computer generated rendition of all the murder sites and the surrounding areas.

It would therefore be possible for all of us to log on and take a walk up, or down Bucks Row, walk into Mitre Square and consider what would be the murderers probable escape route, walk into Millers Court, and into number 13, and see exactly what logistical problems the killer had in operating in such a restricted space.

Richardh has done some sterling work in this area, and I don't think anyone could deny that he has added to to our understanding of the case.

I thought of running this by the Administrators to see what they thought, but as I am only talking an idea for a walk, I decided to go ahead and post, and see what the reaction was.

Apologies Admin if I have trod on your toes.

So, in short I am suggesting whether we see if this idea is both feasible, and desirable.

My initial thoughts are that a cap would be set on the sum that each member could contribute, £10 for example, and a pro rata sum for foreign members.
    The Administrators would hold the cash and seek tenders from suitably experienced video companies.

I am of course posting this thread with no idea of the costings of such a project, it may be horrendously expensive, and therefore not realistically achievable, but if it is..........

I could go on, but the germ of my idea is laid out above.

If we could make it work, it would surely be a huge contribution to serious research in the case.

Well, what do you think?

Is it desirable?

Is it achievable?

Does anyone know if the forthcoming book by Begg and Bennet is another edition of CSI Whitechapel or is it a brand new book with new CGI graphics please?

Comment

What's wrong with the 3D reconstructions and walk throughs produced by RichardH? The latest one was of Buck's Row.

Comment

Originally posted by MysterySinger View Post
        What's wrong with the 3D reconstructions and walk throughs produced by RichardH? The latest one was of Buck's Row.
        That's what I wondered.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

With help, advice, and feedback from this community, I'm sure I could make much higher quality and 'scientifically' useful 3D scene. I need a small team of advisors!

I've been mulling over the stuff I've done so far and it really is quite poor compared to what I set out to do. But I think I can move forward and start producing some better stuff.

I think I should start over, beginning with the canonical five 'scenes of crime' in order.

The problem producing any 3D stuff like this is level of detail verses useability. Jaakko's stuff is visually stunning but I bet most of his models would be unusable in Unity3D or WebVR because of the very high polycounts.

Gimme a chance and some really good crits and I can try to produce some scenes that we all might consider useful.

I wonder if we could have a JtR 3D forum setup on these forums specially for the purpose of 3D development?
          JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
          JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
          ---------------------------------------------------
          JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

Originally posted by Albert View Post
            Does anyone know if the forthcoming book by Begg and Bennet is another edition of CSI Whitechapel or is it a brand new book with new CGI graphics please?
            Albert, My understanding is that it's a new book.

Paul Begg posts on these boards, so perhaps you could send him a personal message asking him for clarification re his new book.

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post
              With help, advice, and feedback from this community, I'm sure I could make much higher quality and 'scientifically' useful 3D scene. I need a small team of advisors!

I've been mulling over the stuff I've done so far and it really is quite poor compared to what I set out to do. But I think I can move forward and start producing some better stuff.

I think I should start over, beginning with the canonical five 'scenes of crime' in order.

The problem producing any 3D stuff like this is level of detail verses useability. Jaakko's stuff is visually stunning but I bet most of his models would be unusable in Unity3D or WebVR because of the very high polycounts.

Gimme a chance and some really good crits and I can try to produce some scenes that we all might consider useful.

I wonder if we could have a JtR 3D forum setup on these forums specially for the purpose of 3D development?
              Richardh, I hope you don't take my post as any criticism of your efforts.

I am on record on these boards praising your efforts.

My idea is possibly a bit too ambitious.
              I was thinking of nothing less than a full 3D walkthrough of all the relevant murder sites and areas of interest.
              As I say, possibly a tad ambitious!

I would be happy to assist you in any way I can, but I have to confess that although I have a wide and varied interest in art, I have absolutely no artistic, or computer ability.

But as I have said, I would be happy to help you in any way.

Cheers!

Comment

"Richardh, I hope you don't take my post as any criticism of your efforts."
                Absolutely not. No offense taken.

The new game that I linked to in another thread might provide a good 3D experience of Whitechapel. Link here:
                http://www.aurochdigital.com/blog/londonbookfair-2017

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
                Richardh, I hope you don't take my post as any criticism of your efforts.

I am on record on these boards praising your efforts.

My idea is possibly a bit too ambitious.
                I was thinking of nothing less than a full 3D walkthrough of all the relevant murder sites and areas of interest.
                As I say, possibly a tad ambitious!

I would be happy to assist you in any way I can, but I have to confess that although I have a wide and varied interest in art, I have absolutely no artistic, or computer ability.

But as I have said, I would be happy to help you in any way.

Cheers!
                JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
                JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
                JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post
                  "Richardh, I hope you don't take my post as any criticism of your efforts."
                  Absolutely not. No offense taken.

The new game that I linked to in another thread might provide a good 3D experience of Whitechapel. Link here:
                  http://www.aurochdigital.com/blog/londonbookfair-2017
                  Thanks Richardh, I'll check out the link.

Cheers!

Comment

Thanks for the information, barnflatwyngarde. If it is a new one then it will be a 'must have'.
                    Cheers
                    Albert

Comment

Working...
                    X