Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - by Michael W Richards 19 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - by Michael W Richards 22 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - by Michael W Richards 27 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - by Jon Guy 45 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - by Fisherman 54 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - by Sam Flynn 56 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (36 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - (19 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - (14 posts)
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - (9 posts)
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - (8 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (7 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1511  
Old 09-21-2017, 12:15 PM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
Thank you very much Abby.


Hi David,
I assumed this was coming.
Link working ok for me if slowly. Will read tonight

Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1512  
Old 09-21-2017, 12:37 PM
MysterySinger MysterySinger is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 419
Default

Well I considered for at least 10 seconds splashing out the money for this latest work of fiction. Thankfully I spent the money at a local Wetherspoons which is housed in a former post office - not the Poste Haste but the Penny Black.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1513  
Old 09-21-2017, 12:40 PM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
Well there were some big claims made in the OP of this thread. Questions about the Diary such as "When was it written? Where was it found?" were supposed to have been finally answered. Of course, they have not been answered at all. We just have some more arguments.

My own response to Robert Smith's book would have been too long to post in this forum so I have written an article which I have published on my website. The link to the article, which I have entitled, "Robert Smith and the Maybrick Diary: The False Facts Exposed!", is:

http://www.orsam.co.uk/maybrickthefalsefacts.htm

There is a fair amount of new information in there and, if I say so myself, some groundbreaking research on the issue of the state of Gladys Maybrick's health.

Very interesting David. Some great research.

Wonder how team diary will respond, it's their big day this weekend.

Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1514  
Old 09-21-2017, 12:55 PM
Mike J. G. Mike J. G. is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 546
Default

I'm still reading it. Spot on so far, nice attention to detail, which is something that the diary proponents are sorely lacking.

I imagine all of this will be largely ignored and avoided.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1515  
Old 09-21-2017, 01:03 PM
Mike J. G. Mike J. G. is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 546
Default

Mike Barrett, a writer?! But he was just a mere simple man who enjoyed the ale!



Surely a coincidence, unlike the Poste House reference!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1516  
Old 09-21-2017, 01:04 PM
Mike J. G. Mike J. G. is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterySinger View Post
Well I considered for at least 10 seconds splashing out the money for this latest work of fiction. Thankfully I spent the money at a local Wetherspoons which is housed in a former post office - not the Poste Haste but the Penny Black.
You never know, tbh, it could well have been called the Poste House. I've got it on good authority that some pubs were known by that name, in that unique spelling and presentation.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1517  
Old 09-21-2017, 01:16 PM
Mike J. G. Mike J. G. is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 546
Default

I'd like to add that the Liverpool newspapers required to get the "Gladys" information from are and were readily available in the Picton Reading Rooms of the library. They have an excellent collection of old papers, and a lot of them from the years in question.

Great stuff, David.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1518  
Old 09-21-2017, 01:26 PM
Yabs Yabs is offline
Cadet
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 42
Default

Apologies if already mentioned and I missed it.
It's probably at least worth remembering during your discussion what Barrett had to say about the Post House.

"I should inform you that I actually worked as a Barman in the Post House Public House about 7 years ago and I gained a full know-ledge of the history of the old pub, and I decided when writing the Diary that I would put the name Post House in knowing full well that it had been called the 'Muck Midden' in the 1800's. This fact could actually be established and in particularly by me should I later need to prove what I had done"

Either the truth or it confuses things even further.
Because if he didn't write or know who wrote it, he would have been aware from the off that it was inaccurate when he acquired it.

Did Barrett really work there or was that part of his confession just a ramble?

Last edited by Yabs : 09-21-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1519  
Old 09-21-2017, 01:30 PM
Mike J. G. Mike J. G. is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabs View Post
Apologies if already mentioned and I missed it.
It's probably at least worth remembering during your discussion what Barrett had to say about the Post House.

"I should inform you that I actually worked as a Barman in the Post House Public House about 7 years ago and I gained a full know-ledge of the history of the old pub, and I decided when writing the Diary that I would put the name Post House in knowing full well that it had been called the 'Muck Midden' in the 1800's. This fact could actually be established and in particularly by me should I later need to prove what I had done"

Either the truth or it confuses things even further.
Because if he didn't write or know who wrote it, he would have been aware from the off that it was inaccurate when he acquired it.

Did Barrett really work there or is that just a ramble?
I've no knowledge of where he worked, but I'd hazard a guess that someone may well remember him as having worked there, if it's true, and if he was there long enough to be noticed.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1520  
Old 09-21-2017, 01:35 PM
John G John G is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
Well there were some big claims made in the OP of this thread. Questions about the Diary such as "When was it written? Where was it found?" were supposed to have been finally answered. Of course, they have not been answered at all. We just have some more arguments.

My own response to Robert Smith's book would have been too long to post in this forum so I have written an article which I have published on my website. The link to the article, which I have entitled, "Robert Smith and the Maybrick Diary: The False Facts Exposed!", is:

http://www.orsam.co.uk/maybrickthefalsefacts.htm

There is a fair amount of new information in there and, if I say so myself, some groundbreaking research on the issue of the state of Gladys Maybrick's health.
Thanks David. Excellent analysis of the new book.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.