Charles Lechmere interesting link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheese and winkles - yuk!

I had to look back to the beginning of this thread to remind myself what it was all about. Ed's charity walk, apparently. And from memory that included some fascinating facts about storks, and Stork is a kind of margarine , so I suppose Flora Danica is pretty much on topic.

MrB

Comment

• Pelicans!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
        Yes Christer - Carlton Road in 1910, No 24.
        He moved there from 24 Doveton Street, having moved out of 22 Doveton Street in the mid 1890s.
        Perhaps this is why you thought that the photo was taken 24 years after the Autumn of Terror.

Fisherman

Comment

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
          Pelicans!
          Yup - THAT should bring us straight back on the Lechmere topic! Pelicans - not storks.

Fisherman

Comment

• And pelican is a kind of CROSSing, so we're straight back to the starting line.

MrB
            Last edited by MrBarnett; 08-29-2014, 11:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
              And pelican is a kind of CROSSing, so we're straight back to the starting line.

MrB
              Double reasons for thinking of pelicans, then - so much the better!

Fisherman

Comment

• I am enjoying this thread! Cheers to you Patrick S for brilliant debunking efforts. I can just sit back without having to contribute anything as I agree with all your posts.

Miss Marple

Comment

• Originally posted by miss marple View Post
                  I am enjoying this thread! Cheers to you Patrick S for brilliant debunking efforts. I can just sit back without having to contribute anything as I agree with all your posts.

Miss Marple
                  And they remain unaddressed.

Anyone who knows me personally knows I'll debate anything, so long as I firmly believe my side of the argument. The Lechmere topic falls into this category. As well, the topic of Jack the Ripper is now and has been for 30 years a topic of interest and immense enjoyment for me. Anyone who knows me also, knows I sometimes go too far in my aggressive debate of the topic at hand. Calling Ed and Christer 'hucksters' went to far. Unlike the Lechmeraputians I can recognize an error when I make it. Unfortunately, this gives the Brothers Chuck an opportunity to play victim and not address posts that actually serve to vet this "suspect".

I think it's worth stating again: I love the IDEA of Cross being the Ripper and would pay to see the photo, as well. The issues I'm having - although I'm enjoying their discussion immensely - is that nothing I've heard to date has made sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by miss marple View Post
                    I am enjoying this thread! Cheers to you Patrick S for brilliant debunking efforts. I can just sit back without having to contribute anything as I agree with all your posts.

Miss Marple
                    Speaking of brilliant efforts, we all remember your own last "contribution" to the Lechmere debate, where you severely scolded us for not having spoken to the Lechmere family before going ahead with our theory.

That was very considerate of you.

Of course, we HAD spoken to the family before, and we could and would have informed you about it - if you had asked before raving away, falsely pointing us out as deeply unethical.

What I donīt remember, however, is any sort of apology from you. It just went silent, for some reason ...

Other posters have joined efforts with you and pointed to how nausceous they feel when reading about a descendant to Charles Allen Lechmere speaking to the press, saying that she was the great great granddaughter of Charles.

The fact that this - quite lovely - woman had studied the case for years and was personally convinced that the carman was a very good bid for the killers role BEFORE anyone knew that he was really a Lechmere is of course left totally unconsidered. And understandably so - what you are not aware of, you cannot consider.

The fact that this woman is still very interested in the case, and fascinated by the work done on Lechmere, is left totally unconsidered. And understandably so - what you are not aware of, you cannot consider.

These things are what happens when no knowledge of the facts is around and a wish to puke over other people takes priority instead.

Brilliant indeed. Keep enjoying the thread and the "debunking efforts", miss Marple!

All the best,
                    Fisherman
                    Last edited by Fisherman; 08-30-2014, 04:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patrick S View Post
                      I think it's worth stating again: I love the IDEA of Cross being the Ripper and would pay to see the photo, as well. The issues I'm having - although I'm enjoying their discussion immensely - is that nothing I've heard to date has made sense.
                      I'd second that. When I was first getting into Ripperology, Cross was a tantalizing suspect on the face of things. However, when you actually get down to brass tacks, his legitimacy falls apart.

Comment

• These things are what happens when no knowledge of the facts is around and a wish to puke over other people takes priority instead.

Brilliant indeed. Keep enjoying the thread and the "debunking efforts", miss Marple!
                        Gee Fish, you sure know how to make friends and influence people.

Comment

• Patrick
                          Every single one of your efforts at debunking has been addressed before at length.
                          Going over old ground again and again and again is not a very productive pastime.
                          If you were unconvinced by whatever was said before then you will remain unconvinced by repetition.
                          I have total confidence than none of your objections are significant and would not be seen as such by a disinterested expert in the field. And at the end of the day that is what counts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sally View Post
                            Gee Fish, you sure know how to make friends and influence people.
                            I do, donīt I? Please notice that I rarely choose friends among the ones who lightheartedly accuse me of trifles like moral rot before checking their facts. And I can count to three of them the last week only - you should know.

I could, I guess, instead have opted for going along with the falseties to keep the originators happy. But really, Sally, I am not THAT desperate for "friends".

All the best,
                            Fisherman

PS. Are you absolutely sure that the Lechmere thread bore you..?

Comment

• Pardon my cynicism.I just wonder if the descendant of Lechmere thought he was the ripper before the 'case' was presented to her. Studying the case because you have an ancestor involved is not the same as being presented with a plausible theory and publicity.
                              There is always a book to be published out of ripper suspects.
                              So far you have produced no evidence to suggest that Letch was anything other than a hardworking carman with a family to support who used another name that he could have been known by.

I have been waiting a long time for other evidence to suggest that Letch was a serial killer and the irregularity of his lifestyle.

I wait in vain. All we get is the circular argument. Letch gave a false name to police, so he must be a serial killer. He is a serial killer because he gave a false name to the police.

I don't need to apologise to you Fish for anything. I cannot bear pomposity.

Cheers
                              Miss Marple
                              Last edited by miss marple; 08-30-2014, 07:23 AM.

Comment

• miss marple:

Pardon my cynicism.I just wonder if the descendant of Lechmere thought he was the ripper before the 'case' was presented to her.

I told you so, Miss Marple, didnīt I? Astounding though it may seem, it is the truth. I have known her for three years and I am familiar with the exact circumstances surrounding her work on the carman and her ancestry.

I cannot blame you for being cynical about it all - it sounds extremely odd, I realize that. But it is nevertheless true.

I don't need to apologise to you Fish for anything. I cannot bear pomposity.

I have a lot more problems with people chastising you for low moral standards without having the first idea about the facts, without checking, without asking, without knowing. The Lechmeres were invited to a family gathering very early on, they were told of the theory and the implications, and they responded very generously and overbearingly.

You could have asked.

You would have been told.

But instead, you fired away, calling us things.

I find such things a total disgrace. Apparently you donīt. To you, it is something that I should accept for being "pompous". Itīs seemingly for you, not me, to decide whether you acted correctly or not. And you opted for it being correct and commandable behaviour, apparently.

So much for pomposity!

This will have to stand for you. We set our own standards out here. But I will have nothing to do with it fortwith, thank you very much.

Fisherman
                                Last edited by Fisherman; 08-30-2014, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X