Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally found Abels Buildings passage today, I read it was by Fenchurch St- was going round in cirles down alley ways, it is of course between Chambers St and Royal Mint St- also photographed the tunnel/bridge by Pedley St...of all my walks around the east-end that is the first place I have felt a little un-safe, coming from Brick Lane way along that desolate path with the barren land to your left. It was a little unnerving..I always do my Jack walks alone too which maybe doesnt help. Anyway got some more pics to upload tomorrow. By the way, The English Martyrs Club opposite Swallow Gardens, google doesnt reveal anything- never seen it open, anyone know much about the place?

Comment

• The English Martyrs Club is the social club attached to the Catholic Church that you get in round the other side, on Prescot Street.

The Chamber Street entrance to Abel Buildings looks like an entrance to a private yard rather than an alleyway –thoroughfare. It’s near the Travelodge if I remember right.

Yes Pedley Street is a bit derelict and surprisingly has a remote feeling. It's where the old Shoreditch tube station was - but on Sunday there should be people about around there. I went passed a few weeks ago and there were grungey couples taking 'atmospheric urban edgy' photos of each other near the footbridge.

Comment

• Thanks for that Lechmere, interesting stuff.

A few more pics for you all. As I said above, we have the Pedley St steps and area by it (very desolate and very creepy) and the Abels Buildings passageway (finally found it after a few attempts - was mistakenly looking for it in and around Fenchurch Street itself) - by the way - what is the origin of the name Abels Buildings as I couldnt find it on any map or google earth etc....
        Also, a shot I took of the old mortuary in St.Georges in The East churchyard.
        Attached Files

Comment

• It's on this old map with Swallow Gardens

Comment

• Had a look at the old Shoreditch morgue tonight, together with three shots of Abels Buildings (top, middle and bottom) and the footbridge from Cheshire Street over to Pedley Street.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Lechmere, thank you so much for posting the building plans for Dorset Street, they're absolutely fascinating!

I work in 3D computer visualisation, and have for some time been thinking of making a full 3D recreation of Dorset Street as it appeared in 1888, but I was begining to despair of ever being able to get access to enough detailed information as to the size and appearance of the buildings.

I wonder if it would be possible for you to say where you were able to find those plans, and whether I might be able to access them as well? It seems very likely that with access to all the plans you mention, a full recreation may well be possible..

Comment

• Board of Works drainage plans held at Tower Hamlets Local History Library, Bancroft Road.

Comment

• Thank you very much Lechmere, it's much appreciated! I can feel a visit to London coming on...

Comment

• goulston street question

Can anyone tell me when the photograph with the caption: Above: A closer view of the area in which the writing was found. The doorway underneath the sign which reads "Orange & Lemon" is in the same position as was the archway in 1888. Photograph courtesy of Mr. John Smithkey III was taken? And what the Orange & Lemon referred to was?
                    My gratitude would be eternal!
                    H.
                    (the photograph is here in the Casebook photo collection under Goulston St.)
                    Last edited by Harry the Hawker; 07-12-2011, 07:19 PM.
                    aye aye! keep yer 'and on yer pfennig!

Comment

• A few views from the top of the car park at Whites Row - to illustrate how close many of the locations were to each other.
                      The Ten Bells, Christ Church and the corner of Dorset street just out of shot by the bus stop.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• A view across the roofs to Wentworth Model Dwellings - above the green gazebo.
                        Also down Toynbee Street. The Victoria Home was at the bottom and just to the left.
                        Also the Convent in Crispin Street.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Lechmere; 07-26-2011, 10:57 PM.

Comment

• Dorset Street
                          In the second picture - could Hutchinson standing near the white car in Commercial Street have heard Kelly talking by the silver van - yes.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• could Hutchinson standing near the white car in Commercial Street have heard Kelly talking by the silver van
                            No.

Obviously not.

Go there and try it yourself.

But let's not have another Hutchinson debate on an unrelated thread, please.

Comment

• I have Ben - I told you that before!

Comment

• A good view of 74 to 82 Commercial Street.
                                With comparison with 1889 Post Office Trade Directory
                                From the left:
                                82 – Champs Hosiery Ltd - which was coffee rooms run by Augustus Ley Beer
                                80 – RNT Jeans- which was a green grocer’s shop run by Alexander Cohen
                                78 – Tip Top Textiles – which was a tobacconists run by William George Clark
                                76 – Dino’s Grill (closed) – which was a confectioners run by Sohatsfske Harris
                                74 – Unnamed but the ground floor is in fact occupied by Melissa Plastic Dreams, which I am informed are a shoe manufacturer of some sort (sorry to disappoint). This of course used to be the Queens Head – proprietor Richard Dipple.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X