No announcement yet.

Greatest hoax of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry guys but I have to disagree. There’s no such thing as a ‘militant’ atheist. Richard Dawkins (who tends to come in for a ridiculous amount of unjustified criticism) is the first to admit that science cannot disprove the existence of god (like every other scientists.) Rigid certainty comes almost exclusively from the religious side I’m afraid.
    You don’t get Humanist/Atheists trying to stifle free speech, trying to ban books, trying to introduce Bronze Age blasphemy laws etc. I have nothing against anyone with a religious faith as long as it causes no harm and that those people don’t expect others to change their behaviour/lives to accommodate those beliefs. Most religious people just get on with there lives, practice their religion and treat people who don’t have the same beliefs equally. Some don’t though.

The irony is that if you see a religious person preaching/moralising (possible on tv or even in the street) people have no,problem with it. They can be preaching hellfire, telling people how sinful they are and how everyone should follow the same beliefs as them, and it’s fine. They can have armies of religious conmen on tv helping people part with their hard earned cash and no one bats an eyelid. Yet someone like Richard Dawkins goes on tv (occasionally) and says “science proves evolution as a fact (backed up by all reputable scientists on the planet by the way) and that he believes that the facts point away from their being a ‘creator’ and he’s labelled ‘Militant.’ I genuinly don’t get it. Im a member of a Humanist group and I know no one who is militant, dogmatic or intolerant. Most religious people aren’t either but there are infinitely more on the religious side I’m afraid.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
        Sorry guys but I have to disagree. There’s no such thing as a ‘militant’ atheist. Richard Dawkins (who tends to come in for a ridiculous amount of unjustified criticism) is the first to admit that science cannot disprove the existence of god (like every other scientists.) Rigid certainty comes almost exclusively from the religious side I’m afraid.
        You don’t get Humanist/Atheists trying to stifle free speech, trying to ban books, trying to introduce Bronze Age blasphemy laws etc. I have nothing against anyone with a religious faith as long as it causes no harm and that those people don’t expect others to change their behaviour/lives to accommodate those beliefs. Most religious people just get on with there lives, practice their religion and treat people who don’t have the same beliefs equally. Some don’t though.

The irony is that if you see a religious person preaching/moralising (possible on tv or even in the street) people have no,problem with it. They can be preaching hellfire, telling people how sinful they are and how everyone should follow the same beliefs as them, and it’s fine. They can have armies of religious conmen on tv helping people part with their hard earned cash and no one bats an eyelid. Yet someone like Richard Dawkins goes on tv (occasionally) and says “science proves evolution as a fact (backed up by all reputable scientists on the planet by the way) and that he believes that the facts point away from their being a ‘creator’ and he’s labelled ‘Militant.’ I genuinly don’t get it. Im a member of a Humanist group and I know no one who is militant, dogmatic or intolerant. Most religious people aren’t either but there are infinitely more on the religious side I’m afraid.
        Hi Herlock
        my point was that no one knows for sure there is a "God" (or some form of it, or related-an afterlife) or not. Whether your an atheist or theist to me its ridiculous to say the other side is wrong and the more obnoxious or fervent you are about it the more ridiculous it is IMHO. we just don't know. no one does.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
          Hi Herlock
          my point was that no one knows for sure there is a "God" (or some form of it, or related-an afterlife) or not. Whether your an atheist or theist to me its ridiculous to say the other side is wrong and the more obnoxious or fervent you are about it the more ridiculous it is IMHO. we just don't know. no one does.
          Bertrand Russell posited a scenario where you replace god with an invisible purple teapot which no can see but the believer.

The believer also receives messages from the teapot, which no one but the believer can hear.

Sound like a belief system????????

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
            Hi Herlock
            Hi Abby,

Can’t argue with that
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

You don’t get Humanist/Atheists trying to stifle free speech, trying to ban books, trying to introduce Bronze Age blasphemy laws etc.
              This is a pisstake, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                This is a pisstake, right?
                ?? Can you think of a single occasion/example??
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

?? Can you think of a single occasion/example??
                  Yes, every radical leftist ever?

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                    Yes, every radical leftist ever?
                    What? So, firstly everyone on the left is an atheist? New one on me.

Secondly, I did ask for an example or examples, not a baseless generality.

And if you’re criticism of Humanism/atheism sites the tired old, well discredited examples of Hitler (a Catholic by the way), Stalin and Mao etc you really need to do better.
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                      Hi Herlock
                      Well I think that there are very few atheists who say that they are certain there is no God. To me, that is a very foolish position and one that would require proof. I think that the vast majority of atheists simply say that they have not seen sufficient evidence to support a belief in God. That is certainly the position of well known atheists like Hitchens, Dawkins and the amazing Randi.

It would be like saying that leprechauns might exist somewhere since I have not examined every forest and cave on the planet but until I have hard evidence that leprechauns do exist I am simply going to withhold belief in their existence.

c.d.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                        I’ve always been staggered that anyone could come up with that one. I’ve even heard Peter Hitchens (whois an exceptionally intelligent man) say that some people use atheism to allow them to sin. What! So someone says “ I want to live a life of sin but I’m scared of being tortured horribly for all eternity so I’ll pretend that god doesn’t exist (even though I’m certain that he does). Then I can sin all I like and, because I’m pretending god doesn’t exist, i can’t get tortured. Brilliant. Oh......errr hold on....I think I’ve missed something here?.”
                        Exactly. Like jumping out of a plane without a parachute and saying I will be okay if I just don't believe that the ground exists.

c.d.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                          We don’t like our beer too cold so we can drink it quicker
                          I have to admit that I never thought of that. I may have to reexamine my position.

c.d.

P.S. Being an American, I have never been able to figure out when soccer fans pee if they are in a stadium. I mean isn't it risky. A one score game and you can be in the men's room and miss it entirely.

Comment

• Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                            I have to admit that I never thought of that. I may have to reexamine my position.

c.d.

P.S. Being an American, I have never been able to figure out when soccer fans pee if they are in a stadium. I mean isn't it risky. A one score game and you can be in the men's room and miss it entirely.
                            It’s a big risk c.d.

It’s a family joke with my dad. He loves football (soccer) and you can almost guarantee, even in a game where neither team looks like scoring, as soon as my he goes to the bathroom there is a goal. We even suggested that he offers his services to the local team! Just sit on the bench watching the game and just when they need a goal......
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• [QUOTE=c.d.;439298]I have to admit that I never thought of that. I may have to reexamine my position.

c.d.

To be honest most people, especially younger, prefer cold beer. Lagers being the most popular. I prefer real ales myself which I drink cold but not ice-cold. Nothing wrong with an ice cold one on a hot day though.

Trouble is that the last hot day we had was July 12th 1976!

Ahhh....I remember it well.
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                                Exactly. Like jumping out of a plane without a parachute and saying I will be okay if I just don't believe that the ground exists.

c.d.
                                Exactly.

And they say it with a straight face!
                                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                                X