Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Update: Not Good

Hi Monty.

I'm sorry to say Don is not doing well. I was told a couple days ago he has Shingles, which can be excruciatingly painful. (I have Chronic Shingles, so believe me I know.)

Don has the blistery rash and nerve pain on one side of his body, which is how it usually presents. I'm not sure if it's on the paralyzed side or not; I'll ask.

His brother, sister and I are very upset that Don is suffering so much. Because I've had chronic shingles since right after Linda (Celesta) passed away in the fall of 2012, I've asked repeatedly if Don got the Shingles vaccine. Me getting shingles was kind of a fluke; I'm not old enough to be eligible for the vaccine. Don however is very high risk due to his age, the stroke, diabetes, nerve damage, weak immune system, bed sores, etc.

Don assured me over 7 over that he'd gotten the shingles vaccine, as did his brother.
      His doctor specifically told Don, his brother and his sister that he was given the Shingles vaccine at the same time he received 2 other vaccines. Because I kept saying "Are you sure?" they asked the doctor more than once and each time were told Yes, he got the vaccine.

But after Don was struck by Shingles a few days ago his doctor reviewed his medical records and discovered that Don was NOT given the Shingles vaccine. They somehow "forgot" to give it to him.

We're all mad as hell over this "mistake". Don is suffering horribly.

For those who don't know, Shingles is caused by the Chicken Pox virus. If you've ever had Chicken Pox as a kid or an adult, the zoster virus is already inside you. It's sitting dormant deep in your nerve pathways. It may stay dormant your whole life, but in times of great stress, a weakened immune system, or when your system is under attack by other serious illnesses like cancer the virus can suddenly reactivate. Shingles is infinitely worse than Chicken Pox. It presents as a painful blister-filled rash with intense nerve pain that feels like electric shocks.

It used to be older people with compromised immune systems that got Shingles, but now younger people and sometimes even kids are getting it. Usually it lasts a few weeks and doesn't recur, but some people like myself end up with the chronic form that hits over and over. I strongly advise everybody to get the Shingles vaccine even if you have to pay for it out of pocket.

Don is in a great deal of pain. He's on prescription pain pills as well as antiviral medications. Being bedridden as he is makes it even more awful because when you have active Shingles your skin can become super-sensitive so you can't bear anything to come in contact with it, even clothing or bedsheets. It burns like red-hot coals.

Don's sister said he's very depressed and she has asked that his friends please send him cards, postcards, anything to help cheer him up. He has no access to email, it must be sent by regular mail.

I have to say this. I think there's a tendency for people to believe that "others" are sending Don cards, but I have to tell you they're NOT.

Don told me it's been a long time since anybody but me sent him anything, even a postcard.

If you care about Don please send him a cheerful card or postcard now so he knows he hasn't been forgotten by his friends.

Here's his address:
      Fairview of Fairfield
      930 Mill Hill Terrace
      ATTN: Donald Souden
      Southport, CT
      O6890
      USA

I will post updates as I get them. Please keep Don in your prayers.

Thank you,
      Bunny

Comment

• Oh My Goodness, Just what he doesn't need.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Hi Bunny

I will write to him.

Is the phone still playing up?

What is the legal situation vis-à-vis the shingles?

Comment

• Hi Gut, you're right. Shingles on top of pre-existing nerve damage is a catastrophe.

Hi Robert.
            I'm afraid there is no phone.

If you remember some jerk stole the new battery out of it, and after it was replaced Don kept dropping the phone. He basically forgot how to use it.

I only get to speak to Don once in a blue moon, and only when his brother is there with his own phone & dials me.

Medicare was supposed to get him some kind of free Trac phone but that hasn't happened either.

Don's brother and his wife are very upset that Don wasn't vaccinated against Shingles. They realize how serious it is and are trying to find out how this "mistake" happened.

I suggested they write a formal letter of complaint as well as make a lot of phone calls. I'd volunteer but due to Health Privacy laws I can't.

Even with Health Privacy laws, if I didn't live 3,000 miles away I'd march in there myself and raise holy hell! There need to be better safety checks in place so this doesn't happen to any other patient. Don was already suffering so much.

As it we all have to hope and pray that the Shingles outbreak stops as soon as possible, and that Don doesn't suffer additional nerve damage or develop a chronic case that can last months or years.

Send him stuff that will cheer him up and distract him - jokes, gossip, forum scuttlebutt, Ripper news, your current research, 'Shawl' updates, conspiracy theories, a description of what you cooked for dinner, an article or book you read, vacation news, anything.

Invite Don to come visit you when he does his world tour, he'll love that! Suggest places to visit & sites to see. Offer a local itinerary, you have no idea how much he'll enjoy that.
            - Remember, money, logistics and all practical concerns don not apply. Assume everything is possible.

Let's try to help Don escape that place, even if it's only in his mind.

Thanks,
            Bunny

Comment

• Although I don't know Don myself, I had been reading about his situation with interest. It occurred to me recently that there haven't been any updates. How is he doing? I hope he recovered from the shingles he apparently had in June. Anybody have any information?

Comment

• Update on Don

Hi Penhalion, thank you for asking about Don.

I was able to talk to Don the other day for the first time in ages.

He sounded terribly congested with a bad chest cough and said he wasn't feeling very good, but his mind was sharp. Don said the Drs thought he had pneumonia but sent him for chest x-rays & said it's not, so that's good.

Don wanted to talk about the new book which presents the theory that James Maybrick's brother Michael was the Ripper. (I haven't read the book myself, but I read an article about it so sent Don a postcard about it.)

Don is a huge Baseball fan & historian. He said he had watched every game of the World Series and enjoyed it very much.

Don had some new ideas for the "World Tour" he's been planning.
                He thought it would be fun for us to drive through Connecticut & New York following Revolutionary War troop movements and battles. I love Revolutionary War & Civil War history so of course I agreed.

Penhalion, if you want to send Don a postcard he'd really love it. It doesn't matter a bit that you've never met, honest. He's so desperate for more contact with the outside world.

Please feel free to drop him a line & introduce yourself.

Talk about anything - Don loves gourmet cooking, all eras of history, books magazines newspapers, travel, sports, you name it.

If you've read a good book or article, ever read one of Don's magazine articles or posts, if you've visited someplace interesting or cooked a good dinner he'd dearly love to hear about it.

Don saves his postcards & cards in a drawer near his bed so he can re-read them. (Reading also doubles as post-stroke therapy.)

If you try to write large and legibly it will help him. (I happen to write like a maniac so try to use block printing.)

Here's Don's address:

Fairview of Fairfield
                930 Mill Hill Terrace
                Southport, CT
                O6890
                USA

Best regards,
                Archaic

Comment

• Thanks for the update Archaic.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Update on Don

Hi guys. I have a small update on Don. Haven't been able to speak to him but am in touch with his sister.

I sent Don a box of miniature French raspberry tarts for Christmas. Individually wrapped so he could share or hoard. Apparently he enjoyed them very much.

The nursing home had a little Christmas party and Don's brother & sister-in-law attended.

Don watches a lot of sports and his nephew was amazed that he's so up to date on everything.

On December 28 I had to put my German Shepherd to sleep due to a spinal injury. I was dreading telling Don, because one of the first things he always says to me is "How's Bucky?" I'm thankful that his sister told him for me. She said Don is very upset and is hoping to be able to call me soon.

I'm not the most cheerful person these days, so if some of you can send Don some upbeat chatty postcards I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
                    Bunny

Comment

• I'm so sorry to hear about Bucky, Bunny. That very same day my niece lost her cat Billy.

They always leave an unfillable hole.

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                        Hi guys. I have a small update on Don. Haven't been able to speak to him but am in touch with his sister.

I sent Don a box of miniature French raspberry tarts for Christmas. Individually wrapped so he could share or hoard. Apparently he enjoyed them very much.

The nursing home had a little Christmas party and Don's brother & sister-in-law attended.

Don watches a lot of sports and his nephew was amazed that he's so up to date on everything.

On December 28 I had to put my German Shepherd to sleep due to a spinal injury. I was dreading telling Don, because one of the first things he always says to me is "How's Bucky?" I'm thankful that his sister told him for me. She said Don is very upset and is hoping to be able to call me soon.

I'm not the most cheerful person these days, so if some of you can send Don some upbeat chatty postcards I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
                        Bunny

Sorry about Bucky, I know how much it hurts.

Thanks for the update on Don.

Sounds like those tarts may have been neither shared nor hoarded but gulped down.
                        G U T

Comment

• tart reply

Hello Bunny. Thanks for the update.

Don and his tarts. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                            I'm so sorry to hear about Bucky, Bunny. That very same day my niece lost her cat Billy.

They always leave an unfillable hole.
                            Hi Robert.

I'm very sorry to hear about Billy; I know how fond you were of him.

You and I talked about Buckwheat and Billy so often, it's incredible that they passed on the same day 5,000 miles apart. Bucky always loved kitties. If they had to go I'm glad they went together.

I'm having a rough time, but I know my grief is for me, and that he's fine. I'm sure he's keeping Linda busy throwing the Frisbee for him!

I'll always picture Bucky running on the beach, full of joy.

Bunny
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Name of Don's Nrsing Home Has Been Changed

Hi everyone.

Don's address has been modified. Same location but the name of the nursing home changed again.

Regal Care
                              930 Mill Hill Terrace
                              Southport, CT
                              O6890

I'd love to hear Don make one of his sardonic remarks about such a silly pompous name.

Don would sure appreciate some Christmas cards, New Year's cards and postcards.

Take care,
                              Bunny

Comment

• Bump up.

Comment

Working...
                                X