No announcement yet.

Help needed deciphering RMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapmans Barbers Shop. The White Hart 2010.

Monty
    Attached Files
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Thanks for sharing those Monty. What a gloomy horrid place. I really cannot imagine what gave anyone the idea to open a barbershop in a basement of a pub, can you?

What's all the "walk alone" stuff, Monty?
      Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Announcement

I have been informed that my first posting isn't strictly within the rules as it is a book in copyright. I had no idea I was breaching a rule but now someone has PM'ed and told me obviously I need to correct my error.

I removed the offending snippet from photo-bucket, but it is still displaying on here and I don't know why and I don't know what to do to remove it as I cannot "edit" that first post. I have reported myself to the admin via the report post button on the post, I don't know what more I can do.

Helena

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
          Thanks for sharing those Monty. What a gloomy horrid place. I really cannot imagine what gave anyone the idea to open a barbershop in a basement of a pub, can you?

What's all the "walk alone" stuff, Monty?
          They are lyrics from a Green Day song Helena. Always reminds me of those who truly matter in this case....the victims.

I do not see what more you can do either. Admin is on leave however Im sure they will pick it up when they can.

Monty
          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Hi Helena,

The only time I ever saw a reference to Chapman having pistols or guns was in the chapter regarding his arrest in Arthur Neil's memoirs of his work at Scotland Yard. He mentions it with reference to knowing about the guns before the arrest (a fact that made the police more careful dealing with arresting Chapman). Of course, Neil makes mistakes (at one point referring to Chapman as a Jew - I believe he was a Polish Catholic). Neil may have also been depending on earlier writings of the Chapman case to pad out his account of his involvement (he lists all the points tha make Chapman a suspect for the Ripper Case).

Oddly enough, now that it may turn out to be a fiction, I have frequently pointed out that Chapman's having guns that he was willing to use would suggest that to just consider him a typical "poisoning only" serial killer is incorrect. Now it looks like I may be incorrect here.

Jeff

Comment

As for the bottom being turned into a "barber shop", at least Chapman did not offer "fresh meat pies" to his pub clientelle.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                Hi Helena,

The only time I ever saw a reference to Chapman having pistols or guns was in the chapter regarding his arrest in Arthur Neil's memoirs of his work at Scotland Yard. He mentions it with reference to knowing about the guns before the arrest (a fact that made the police more careful dealing with arresting Chapman). Of course, Neil makes mistakes (at one point referring to Chapman as a Jew - I believe he was a Polish Catholic). Neil may have also been depending on earlier writings of the Chapman case to pad out his account of his involvement (he lists all the points tha make Chapman a suspect for the Ripper Case).

Oddly enough, now that it may turn out to be a fiction, I have frequently pointed out that Chapman's having guns that he was willing to use would suggest that to just consider him a typical "poisoning only" serial killer is incorrect. Now it looks like I may be incorrect here.

Jeff
                What about the photo of him standing in front of his guns at the bar of his pub?
                Maybe that was faked up too by Abberline or Gosling or Neil.You never know

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post

Jeff
                  Hi Jeff

I cannot find any way the police could have known he owned a gun on the day of his arrest. They'd only spoken to Dr Stoker at that point.

There is no evidence that Chapman ever used a gun on people, only rats.

You are right, he was Roman Catholic.

Helena

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
                    What about the photo of him standing in front of his guns at the bar of his pub?
                    Maybe that was faked up too by Abberline or Gosling or Neil.You never know
                    I think they must have been fake guns because Godley only ever said he had one (American) revolver, which Godley then produced in court.

Best

Helena

Comment

he had an american flag, a rifle, 2 revolvers and a sword in the famous photo,

i expect he brought this lot back from America and told his customers that he was an Indiana Jones style game hunter, you know, bullshitted like crazy to his customers.

no idea if these guns are fully working or decomissioned replicas, is Chapman a ``smooth poisoner`` only, no to me he appears a ``hands on`` violent bully, whose living in a fantasy world, a Walter Mitty type of person.

what is revealing is the way he stares at the photographer, he looks cold and totally evil, and if he's hiding something.

i had lost interest in this guy as a top suspect, but now he's beginning to bother me again, there is something so damned strange about him.

he's clever for sure, and my guess is that he controlled his physical violence as best as he could at home, ( but it still surfaced yes) but out on the street that's different, probably miles worst.
                      Last edited by Malcolm X; 09-17-2011, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
                        I think they must have been fake guns because Godley only ever said he had one (American) revolver, which Godley then produced in court.

Best

Helena
                        Hi Helena,
                        But how on earth would Godley know? Godley simply arrested him when Chapman was nearly 40 years old.As far as we know neither Godley or any other police officer ever took up a floor board in the Crown or Monument pub or dug up a garden in any of the many pubs or places Chapman stayed in.Today this would have been done with a serial killer----as it was with Fred and Rose West and others who have eluded justice for a long period of time.
                        Serial killers are among the most slippery criminals of all.

Norma

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm X View Post
                          he had an american flag, a rifle, 2 revolvers and a sword in the famous photo,

i expect he brought this lot back from America and told his customers that he was an Indiana Jones style game hunter, you know, bullshitted like crazy to his customers.

no idea if these guns are fully working or decomissioned replicas, is Chapman a ``smooth poisoner`` only, no to me he appears a ``hands on`` violent bully, whose living in a fantasy world, a Walter Mitty type of person.

I agree with you and he clearly enjoyed sporting killing machines as evidenced by the photo.

Chapman hasn't yet been successfully 'ruled out' by any means.

For me the reappearance after 30 years of silence of Dennis Rader-the 'BTK' serial killer who had apparently been a respectable citizen,a 'good' husband and father and a pillar of the community who had for years held down a reasonably good job, illustrates how long periods of silence and apparently 'good behaviour' can last between serial killing.
                          There are examples in Broadmoor today of serial killers who have changed both MO and signature.
                          Chapman was a serial killer working in Whitechapel during the Autumn of terror.Murder was rare at this time in Whitechapel according to the statistics
                          Colin Roberts and Dave Gates and others acquired for us for the year 1888---and 1887 and 1889.There were a couple of domestic murders -a husband who had murdered his wife etc that kind of thing but known serial killers there were not.
                          And ofcourse nobody ever dug up the floorboards or back yards of his public houses or any of the barber shops he took out leases on.
                          So Chapman has never been properly ruled out.I agree with Philip Sugden.He is a suspect we need to take seriously.

I don't know whether he was Jack the Ripper but like Fido's David Cohen he can't simply be dismissed on the basis of quoting from what modern day profilers say.

Comment

Working...
                          X