Goulstan Street Graffito.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goulstan Street Graffito.

Goulston Street graffito. A brick is eight x four inches. Sergeant Halse stated: The writing is in good schoolboys script, 3/4 of an inch.The writing formed three lines ... To fit the bricks, and to scale, it would need to be placed similarly to this :

Jews, Juwes, Jewes, Jeuwes, Juwes, Jeuws, Juewes or Juews? These were the variant spellings according to different author's reports. The mid-line scrawl caused confusion. Writing on a brick wall, with chalk, isn't likely to assist legibility.
    In this drawing I've used letters from Saucy Jack and Dear Boss missives
    David Wilson Professor of Criminology:
    'Connection, connection, connection. There is no such thing as coincidence when you are dealing with serial killers.'

I haven't seen many bricks four inches tall.
    Best Wishes,
    Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

US bricks are typically smaller.
      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
        I haven't seen many bricks four inches tall.
        I think he meant when they’re laying on there side, like how they’re usually stacked to build something like a wall.
        "Is all that we see or seem
        but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
        quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

I live in a house built in 1865. The bricks are 8 x 4 inches, although the length varies from 8-8.5.
          I can't believe I just went outside to measure a ruddy brick!
          Last edited by Callmebill; 02-22-2018, 04:43 AM.
          David Wilson Professor of Criminology:
          'Connection, connection, connection. There is no such thing as coincidence when you are dealing with serial killers.'

Comment

Meh. Next thing you know, you will be writing on them with chalk to see how long it takes for the rain to wash it away
            It will than enter your mind that one side of the house might be more prone .....

Comment

............. and was there chalk dust! Does it really matter? No
              ‘There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact’ Sherlock Holmes

Comment

How does a message written with chalk, and with ¾" tall letters, in a dark passage separating an entrance to building and a staircase inside, with a obvious link to serial killer, lying right under it, become known as 'graffito'?
                Is it part of an attempt to protect Charles Warren's reputation?

PC Long: The apron was lying in the passage leading to the staircase of Nos. 106 to 119, a model dwelling-house. Above on the wall was written in chalk, "The Jews are the men that will not be blamed for nothing."
                In a memo from Warren to Henry Mathews:

Subject: 'The writing on the wall'

'...I accordingly went down to Goulston Street at once before going to the scene of the murder; it was just getting light, the public would be in the streets in a few minutes, in a neighbourhood very much crowded on Sunday mornings by Jewish vendors and Christian purchasers from all parts of London.

There were several police around the spot when I arrived, both Metropolitan and City. The writing was on the jamb of the open archway or doorway visible to anybody in the street and could not be covered up without danger of the covering being torn off at once.....'
                The emphasized text would appear to be a lie.
                Why has Warren been allowed to get away with it?

The purpose of the lie seems obvious; it provides some of the rationalization for having stupidly ordered the message to be wiped off - because it is (supposedly) not in a camera friendly position. There is no other reason for Warren to have (falsely) claimed the writing was in the archway.

There was no excuse for not temporarily blocking the entrances to the passage (outside and in), taking a photograph, or at the very least, having an official version of the message recorded by hand.

Having the coroner attempt to resolve the differences in the notes written by police constables on the night, instead of relying on an official transcript, was embarrassing.
                Andrew's the man, who is not blamed for nothing

Comment

As I'm waiting for a book to be delivered I thought I'd re-read something so I chose Neil Bell's excellent Capturing Jack The Ripper. I saw something that I either missed first time or that I'd forgotten about. I'm not saying that it's at all relevent to the case but...

I wonder why PC Long was suspended from duty in the Autumn of 1888 and was reinstated in December. I'd love to know what he'd done wrong?
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Jews vs Juwes,I suspect.

Comment

Could be. Or could his superiors have thought that he'd missed the apron through negligence when he'd first passed the doorway?

I wonder why we tend to favour 'juwes' over 'jeuws' as the correct spelling?
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

'cos it's closer to iwes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                          Could be. Or could his superiors have thought that he'd missed the apron through negligence when he'd first passed the doorway?

I wonder why we tend to favour 'juwes' over 'jeuws' as the correct spelling?
                          At this point Constable Long returned, and produced the pocket-book containing the entry which he made at the time concerning the discovery of the writing on the wall.
                          Mr. Crawford: What is the entry? - Witness: The words are, "The Jews are the men that will not be blamed for nothing." [Coroner] Both here and in your inspector's report the word "Jews" is spelt correctly? - Yes; but the inspector remarked that the word was spelt "Juwes."
                          [Coroner] Why did you write "Jews" then? - I made my entry before the inspector made the remark.
                          [Coroner] But why did the inspector write "Jews"? - I cannot say.

Comment

Regarding how the GSG became known as a 'graffito' - isn't it merely the singular form of 'graffiti' in Latin? Is too much being read into what is simply a matter of grammar?
                            " Queen Vic lured her victims into dark corners with offers of free fish and chips, washed down with White Satin." - forum user C4

Comment

Originally posted by NotBlamedForNothing View Post
                              The emphasized text would appear to be a lie.
                              Why has Warren been allowed to get away with it?
                              Those in power often protect their peers or those they value (Dominic Cummings is a case in point).

The question which taxes me more is why did Warren do it. Was it incompetence, real concern about violent riots or something else?

Comment

Working...
                              X