WS1888 Short Story Competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WS1888 Short Story Competition

The Whitechapel Society have put together a Short Story Competition based on the Whitechapel murders.

- The entry costs just £5

- The prize is £100

- The winning entry will be published.

- The competition will be judged by the award winning author, Brian L. Porter.

- The length of the short story should be no more that 3,000 words maximum.

- The closing date is Saturday 3rd October 2009.

What are you waiting for. A potential £100 for a £5 entrance fee! Brilliant value.

More details: www.whitechapelsociety.com
    ADRIAN.
    (Editor: Whitechapel Society Journal).
    Hello

The Whitechapel Society Short Story Competition as outlined above IS "Where Legend becomes history.

Remember, for an initial £5 entrance fee you can get published and get a £100 return.

Credit crunching busting or what!!!!

Details: www.whitechapelsociety.com

ADRIAN.
    (Editor: Whitechapel Society Journal).
    Hello

Comment

I'll up the prize by the donation of a first edition 'Jack the Myth' by that rogue AP Wolf... and if you cut out the entry fee I'll sign it, making it only the 3rd signed edition in the world.

Comment

Hi AP Wolf

I think you might be missing the point here -as good as your offer is - it does not raise any funds for the WS by cutting out the entrance fee

Comment

Hiya Coral,

Just to slake my own curiosity, though I am stymied by the first line requirement, if the stated goal is to raise money for WS1888 what happens if you only get ten submissions? Or less than 20? Is the contest off or do you proceed with what you have?

Let all Oz be agreed;
          I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Okay, Coral, I'll take over the £100 prize as well, as long as you drop the entry fee.

Comment

But AP, the WS still wouldn't get anything out of it that way.

Comment

Damn! You foiled my cunning plan yet again, Robert.

Comment

Just thought it ought to be mentioned, before anyone gets scribbling for nothing - one of the rules is that you can't enter if you are a published JtR author.

(I think that should make me eligible. But I won't be entering anyway.)

Love,

Caz
                  X
                  "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Here are the details of our competition - so get writing & support the WS!

Whitechapel Society 1888
                    Short Story Competition 2009

The Whitechapel Society invite you to take part it their Short Story Competition 2009.

WINNING PRIZE - £100.00!
                    Competition Judge, Brian L Porter
                    (Author of the award winning ‘A Study in Red’, soon to made into a feature movie!)

Your story must use the following sentence at the start of your entry:
                    "The day after the murder everyone was talking about
                    Jack the Ripper...."

RULES
                    The rules are simple and straightforward (no entry form required):

1) All work must be unpublished.

2) Length: 3,000 words maximum (submissions exceeding this length will be disqualified). Only one entry per person.

3) Closing Date: Saturday October 3rd 2009 (last entries will be accepted at the Whitechapel Society Meeting that is also held on that particular day)

4) Entry Fee: £5 per entry by cheque only. Cheques to be made payable to: The Whitechapel Society and sent to; Adrian Morris, 35 Claremont Road, Cricklewood, London, NW2 1AG

5) Entries should be sent as an email ‘Word Document Attachment’ (or in the body of the email itself) to: adrian.ap.morris@talk21.com Please confirm in your email that the entry fee is on its way. Alternatively, send a hard copy of your story, plus entry fee to: Adrian Morris,
                    35 Claremont Road, Cricklewood, London, NW2 1AG
                    You may also present your entry and cheque at any official WS meeting before the competition closing date on October 3rd 2009

6) The copyright will remain the property of the author. All entrants give the Whitechapel Society permission to publish their work for future publicity - promotional - media usage.

7) Authors who have had books published on Jack the Ripper and members of the Whitechapel Society Committee are excluded from entry.

8) The winner will be announced at the Whitechapel Society December 2009 meeting and also in the February 2010 Whitechapel
                    Journal.

The winning entry will win £100, have their story published in the Whitechapel Journal and given full publicity on our website. Good luck!

Comment

Hi Frogg

Just a quibble about the sentence that must be used at the start of the entry : by my reckoning, the only murder about which this could be true, would be Kelly's. According to Sugden, the police didn't publish facsimiles of the Dear Boss and Saucy Jacky till Oct 3rd. So are people meant to start their stories with Nov 10th?

Comment

I do declare that this thread is off topic and off thread.
                        It should be under 'creative writing and expression', surely?

Comment

It's about a competition run by the WS1888, AP - so it's well at home here.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi Robert,
                            We just wanted to start the competition off with a sentence that contained Jack the Ripper to make it more appealing to a wider audience.

You don't have to start your story with Kelly's murder although if you want to then fine!

We're looking forward to receiving your entries - £100.00 awaits.....

Best wishes,
                            Frogg.

Comment

OK Frogg. Well, I doubt if I'd win but as the deadline is still some way off I might try my hand at it.

Comment

Working...
                              X