Finding Israel Schwartz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Maybe it was just a cultural difference Simon, someone maybe who had over exaggerated speech and mannerisms (not common to the british).

Or could they have meant somebody who appeared gay? Or the clothing?
    Hard to say.
    What were London theatrical men like back then I wonder?

Pat.......
    This is what I had previously suspected on here but the idea was dismissed. I have an amateur interest in Shakespeare. I remember reading that Shakespeare's ear-ring signified roughly what ear-rings do today; a bit flamboyant and fashionable. I think Schwartz may have worn Victorian equivalent of a bit of bling, and perhaps a few frills on his clothing too. Im imagining Schwartz looking part gypsy, part dandy. Perhaps with a fetching looking hat.
    Last edited by jason_c; 06-11-2017, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
      Flamboyantly, I suppose, but I don't think we're talking Quentin Crisp here.
      This made me laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
        My guess would be, for the period, somewhat loudly Simon. Mismatched patterns, dramatic moustache, that kind of thing. Attention seeking.
        Schwartz being in "the theatrical line" must surely mean in an official capacity; managerial staff or official.

Henry Irving was not only a leading man, but a theater manager.
        His street attire reflects his position in life. Here he is seen leaving the Lyceum (in top hat - center).
        Apologies for the size of this pic, didn't have the means to reduce it.

Victorian Britain being the distinctly class-based society it was expected everyone to dress according to their position in life.
        Today we find this difficult to visualize, we cannot tell a banker from a doctor, a lawyer, or a clerk. But in the 19th century there were very definite articles of clothing which set one profession aside from another.
        Last edited by Wickerman; 06-11-2017, 06:48 AM.
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
          Hi All,

Israel Schwartz.

How must a person be dressed in order to have the "appearance of being in the theatrical line"? [Star, 1st October 1888].

Regards,

Simon
          I would imagine he would have looked as if he were dressed in theatrical garb: I.e. what a Londoner may have thought when looking at a Haredi man.
          if mickey's a mouse, and pluto's a dog, whats goofy?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
            Hi All,

Israel Schwartz.

How must a person be dressed in order to have the "appearance of being in the theatrical line"? [Star, 1st October 1888].

Regards,

Simon
            ChatGPT:

To give the appearance of being in the theatrical line, a person might consider dressing in a way that reflects creativity, expression, and an understanding of the performing arts. Here are some general tips for achieving a theatrical look:
            1. Bold and Expressive Clothing: Theatrical attire often involves bold, vibrant colors and unconventional styles. Consider wearing clothing that stands out and expresses a unique personality.
            2. Costume Pieces: Incorporate elements that resemble costumes. This could include statement accessories, dramatic headpieces, capes, or theatrical makeup. These elements can convey a sense of artistic flair.
            3. Layers and Textures: Experiment with layers and textures to create a visually interesting ensemble. Mixing different fabrics, patterns, and textures can add depth to your look.
            4. Accessories: Statement accessories such as oversized jewelry, hats, gloves, or even props like a fake microphone, can contribute to a theatrical appearance.
            5. Dramatic Makeup: Pay attention to makeup. Bold eyeshadow, eyeliner, and lipstick choices can enhance the theatrical effect. Consider using makeup to create dramatic expressions or features.
            6. Footwear: Shoes can be an essential part of the overall look. Depending on the character or style you're trying to embody, consider footwear that complements the outfit.
            7. Hairstyle: Hairstyling can also play a significant role. Elaborate updos, wigs, or even colorful hair extensions can add to the theatrical effect.
            8. Character Inspiration: If you have a specific theatrical character or style in mind, draw inspiration from their costumes and looks. This could be anything from classic Shakespearean garb to avant-garde avant-garde performance art.
            9. Confidence and Poise: Theatricality isn't just about what you wear; it's also about how you carry yourself. Walk with confidence, use expressive gestures, and maintain good posture.
            10. Personal Interpretation: Ultimately, the theatrical look is subjective and can be open to personal interpretation. It's about expressing creativity and individuality, so don't be afraid to take risks and have fun with it.

Remember, the key to achieving a theatrical appearance is to embrace creativity and expressiveness. Whether you're drawing inspiration from specific characters or creating your own unique style, the goal is to convey a sense of theatricality and artistic flair through your clothing and overall presentation.
            Andrew's the man, who is not blamed for nothing

Comment

Working...
            X