Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 2 hours ago.
Thompson, Francis: Francis Thompson. The Perfect Suspect. - by Roy Corduroy 3 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by jerryd 3 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 3 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (13 posts)
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - (5 posts)
General Discussion: Albert Backert - did he emigrate? - (3 posts)
Thompson, Francis: Francis Thompson. The Perfect Suspect. - (2 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (2 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Was Ernest Dowson Jack the Ripper? - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Media > Books > Non-Fiction

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #331  
Old 08-04-2017, 12:03 PM
Simon Wood Simon Wood is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,218
Default

Hi David,

What led you to that conclusion?

I thought Leather Apron murdered Nichols.

And no legs were pulled in Millers Court.

Regards,

Simon
__________________
Fidiamo in Legno.
http://deconstructingjack.net/
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #332  
Old 08-04-2017, 12:09 PM
David Orsam David Orsam is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post

What led you to that conclusion?
Your own words from 2005 Simon:

"I firmly believe that the person known as Jack the Ripper committed murders 1, 2 and 4."


Now you say "Three" murders were by the same individual.

It's not rocket science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
I thought Leather Apron murdered Nichols.
Why did you think that? "Leather Apron" was a nickname of Pizer and he was cleared of the crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
And no legs were pulled in Millers Court.
That's correct Simon, it's just your leg that's been pulled.
__________________
Orsam Books
www.orsam.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #333  
Old 08-04-2017, 12:18 PM
Simon Wood Simon Wood is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,218
Default

Hi David,

Over 12 years, I reserve the right to revise my opinion.

Pizer denied he was known as Leather Apron, and then - hey presto - revised his opinion.

My leg was not pulled

Regards,

Simon
__________________
Fidiamo in Legno.
http://deconstructingjack.net/
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #334  
Old 08-04-2017, 12:43 PM
Harry D Harry D is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
All this nonsense about this supposed killer of Five women. The opinions of the contemporary investigators have been taken by so many as some official line drawn in the sand, despite the fact that no-one really knows the sincerity with which these opinions were given and there is zero evidence that links these Five women, or any 2 of these women for that matter, to a single killer.
What constitutes "evidence" in your book, Michael?

Forensic evidence? That wasn't an option in 1888.

What we do have is an unprecedented outbreak of murders in a small localized area over a short period of time, a subset of which include post-mortem mutilation/evisceration/organ removal. Even the contemporary police quickly cottoned on that this was a serial murderer at work, and this was a brand new concept to them!

Let's go with the Turnbullian (emphasis on the "bull") logic that all five were carried out by different individuals. Five different individuals, all independently of one another, decided to go out into the street and start slashing & mutilating prostitutes in the same period of time. All of them had the disposition and the skill to do this and all of them managed to get away with it, but despite these synchronised rippers, the murder series almost completely ceased after a few months? Why?
__________________
Hail to the king, baby!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #335  
Old 08-04-2017, 12:53 PM
David Orsam David Orsam is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
Over 12 years, I reserve the right to revise my opinion.
Okay Simon, I'll play. What did you mean when you said "Three" in your response to John G?

Were you trying to clarify that you meant that the same individual murdered three women or were you being deliberately obtuse and misleading?

If the former, which three women were you referring to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
Pizer denied he was known as Leather Apron, and then - hey presto - revised his opinion.
Yes, that's correct Simon. He wasn't actually aware that he was called this by the locals but was then informed by Sergeant Thick that he was. Once he had been told this, he accepted that this is how he was known.

It. is. not. rocket. science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
My leg was not pulled
People who have been fooled often don't realise it.

Do you think that Mary Kelly was murdered by Special Branch? Is that what you think you were told?

It's a complete joke, Simon, if that's the case.
__________________
Orsam Books
www.orsam.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #336  
Old 08-04-2017, 01:08 PM
Simon Wood Simon Wood is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,218
Default

Hi David,

Read John G's post, and then you'll understand what I meant. It had nothing to do with any number of victims.

Your explanation of Pizer's change of mind is hilarious. It could well go down as one of the great Ripperologisms of all time.

Please do not presume to know better than me regarding something you know nothing about.

Regards,

Simon
__________________
Fidiamo in Legno.
http://deconstructingjack.net/

Last edited by Simon Wood : 08-04-2017 at 01:12 PM. Reason: spolling mistook
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #337  
Old 08-04-2017, 01:23 PM
David Orsam David Orsam is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
Hi Simon,

Thanks for reply and clarification!
Hi John - Did you understand what Simon meant by "Three"?
__________________
Orsam Books
www.orsam.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #338  
Old 08-04-2017, 01:30 PM
David Orsam David Orsam is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
Read John G's post, and then you'll understand what I meant. It had nothing to do with any number of victims.
I've done better than that Simon, I've asked John. He thanked you for your "clarification" so hopefully he will be able to tell me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
Your explanation of Pizer's change of mind is hilarious. It could well go down as one of the great Ripperologisms of all time.
He didn't change his mind Simon. He just found out that this is what he was being called by the locals. He explained it over 128 years ago but you simply weren't paying attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
Please do not presume to know better than me regarding something you know nothing about.
How can I know "nothing" about it? I've read your book Simon (two editions) and you obviously explained it all in there right?

If I remember rightly it was all about someone who knows nothing about Special Branch operations in 1888 telling someone else who knows nothing about Special Branch operations in 1888 about a Special Branch operation in 1888. All very amusing and it certainly did it's job of covering up the complete absence of any explanation as to why the same person who murdered the other women did not also murder Kelly.
__________________
Orsam Books
www.orsam.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #339  
Old 08-04-2017, 01:31 PM
Hunter Hunter is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,683
Default

I believe it was the late Christopher Hitchens who said, " What can be asserted without evidence can easily be dismissed without evidence."
__________________
Best Wishes,
Hunter
____________________________________________

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #340  
Old 08-04-2017, 01:37 PM
Simon Wood Simon Wood is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,218
Default

Hi Hunter,

A valid point.

So there was no Jack the Ripper.

Regards,

Simon
__________________
Fidiamo in Legno.
http://deconstructingjack.net/
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.