Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Elizabeth Stride: Elizabeth's murder and the double event - by Madam Detective 20 minutes ago.
Elizabeth Stride: Elizabeth's murder and the double event - by Madam Detective 28 minutes ago.
Elizabeth Stride: Elizabeth's murder and the double event - by Madam Detective 38 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - by Harry D 40 minutes ago.
Scene of the Crimes: East End Walk - by MrBarnett 2 hours ago.
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - by Michael W Richards 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (15 posts)
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - (13 posts)
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - (11 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (10 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - (5 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: Elizabeth's murder and the double event - (5 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > General Suspect Discussion

Old 07-17-2017, 11:36 PM
Cadet

I'm always resistant to theories that tie together infamous murderers from different regions, decades, or countries. There is enough liberal connect-the-dots going on already in famous unsolved mysteries.

The style of the series looks to be like most the others they produce on History; garish flashbacks mixed in with researchers who often split up so they can jump back and forth in editing and keep things moving along, then review in replay coming back from commercial. I long for a more thoughtful straightforward presentation from yesteryear that is not sensory overload.

That said, of course I watched it.

Really look forward to the Rippercast on this subject though. Love that program.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:48 PM
Chief Inspector

It looks as if they've merged your thread into this one, Serya, which is fine (the more the merrier!) I agree with you about the History Channel's format (I watched the Amelia Earhart special too-- which has since had a major piece of information debunked, supposedly), but I am watching out of curiousity.

Don't forget, episode 2 is on tonight, everyone!
---------------
Old 07-18-2017, 04:01 PM
Detective

Holmes was a con-artist who killed for profit. Not only is there no shred of proof that he was JtR, there isn't even proof that he did most of the things that he's infamous for. I believe he "confessed" to killing 27 people. At least 5-6 of these were later found to be alive and well. There is no true evidence that the so-called "murder castle" was designed and constructed to aid him in killing people. The claim that he killed "hundreds" through the elaborate construction of this building is fairly ridiculous. It's more likely that Holmes did indeed kill 6-20 people, and all those killing were for monetary profit.

Keep in mind that just last week, the History Channel ran one of those "Amelia Earhart, case closed" shows based on a photograph. A real researcher examined the photo for LESS THAN AN HOUR, and determined conclusively that it was taken before Earhart's last flight. So an documentary you see on the History Channel should be taken with a huge grain of salt
Old 07-18-2017, 09:38 PM
Cadet

So where is that examination re Earhart that debunked the photo? I am always skeptical about photo evidence like that. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:55 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by serya View Post
So where is that examination re Earhart that debunked the photo? I am always skeptical about photo evidence like that. Thanks.
Not sure. Basically the History Channel claimed Earhart survived her 1937 disappearance based on a photo which they claimed was taken afterwards. A researcher reviewed it and determined it was a photo from 1935 and was already previously known. The History Channel had to come out and apologize and with a statement saying they're "looking into" how badly they could have flubbed that. This is the same Channel that has Ancient Aliens.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:10 AM
Chief Inspector

The researcher was a blogger in Japan, from what I heard, who said the photo appeared in a Japanese book published in 1935, so apparently NOT the supposedly secret photo taken by the US military and accidentally found in a declassified file. Other details in the photo concerning the boat and plane are also said to be incorrect. As the "Earnhart" figure only appears from the back, well, you get the drift...

History Channel just said they're investigating what has happened.
---------------
Old 07-20-2017, 02:46 AM
Superintendent

I sometimes wonder why they don't call it the "Pseudo-history and Hype" Channel. I prefer other channels for better documentaries (including PBS and Smithsonian).
Old 07-20-2017, 05:40 AM
Detective

I watched first episode last night and already caught one blatant lie. It said HH Holmes acquired a pharmacy from a couple- the Holtons- who then "mysteriously disappeared". That's a bald faced, outright lie...Holmes BOUGHT the pharmacy from the Holtons and they never "disappeared"...both Holtons lived well into the 20th century and died of natural causes.

I don't mean to sound like Donald Trump, but this is the very meaning of "fake news"...when media outlets are more concerned with ratings than facts. Think about it from History Channel's perspective...HH Holmes is one of the most famous serial killers ever. JtR is THE most famous serial killer ever. So linking the two together is bound to be a cable tv ratings extravaganza, right? Nevermind that their "facts" are completely fiction

Last edited by Pontius2000 : 07-20-2017 at 05:52 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:50 AM
Inspector

The show is based on the fictional character H.H. Holmes that was invented by the press, not the real life Holmes. If you're looking for what you call "blatant lies", well, every time "H.H. Holmes" appears on camera in this show he's bound to be doing something that the real Holmes never did.

JM
Old 07-20-2017, 04:32 PM
Cadet

Thanks for the info on the Earhart photo, how embarrassing.