Mary Jane Kelly found?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The ear and eyes".

The fact that was all Barnett could recognize is curious and raises a few questions about their relationship.

Surmise her hair would set her apart.
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Well, much of the rest of her was... sort of missing! Apart from her hair I'm surprised he could recognise anything.

I've always wondered why the killer left Mary's eyes open and untouched. So she could 'see' his handiwork perhaps?
      Last edited by Rosella; 08-22-2015, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
        "The ear and eyes".

The fact that was all Barnett could recognize is curious and raises a few questions about their relationship.

Surmise her hair would set her apart.
        though there wasn't a lot to see and could he bear to look
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Recognised her blood saturated hair....really?
          Have you looked at Cathy Eddowes blood saturated hair in the mortuary photos? Bet it didn't usually look like that
          ....and no way on earth would a supposed loved one be able to walk up and look closely enough into her eyes to recognise her.
          'IF' Barnett was genuine then it would have been no more than a fleeting glance towards a body he expected to be Kelly anyway...
          Caroline maxwell...... Our number one eye witness testimony from any of the murders
          Broad daylight,knew her and spoke to her.Testified at the inquest....
          You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

Originally posted by packers stem View Post
            Have you looked at Cathy Eddowes blood saturated hair in the mortuary photos? Bet it didn't usually look like that
            ....and no way on earth would a supposed loved one be able to walk up and look closely enough into her eyes to recognise her.
            'IF' Barnett was genuine then it would have been no more than a fleeting glance towards a body he expected to be Kelly anyway...
            Caroline maxwell...... Our number one eye witness testimony from any of the murders
            Broad daylight,knew her and spoke to her.Testified at the inquest....
            And even the Coroner Didn't believe her it seems by the warning he gave her.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Because the coroner accepted , because of Barnetts say so,that it was Mary Kelly and if maxwell saw Kelly at that time then the body clearly was not Kelly...
              Doesn't make Maxwell wrong,means that the coroner accepted the same as everyone else..there was a body in Kellys room,therefore it was Kelly

Comment

There are no photos of any of the CV5 with blood saturated hair that I am aware of.

Especially Eddowes who wore a bonnet.

My sister found my dead father when she was four years old.
                She tells me although she did not understand,the image is clear to her after over 50 years.
                I still have excellent recall,bring next on the scene.
                My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Hair has always looked distinctly matted to me mate...doubt it's sweat
                  And I dont think identifying Kellys remains can be compared to identifying a body under normal circumstances to be fair

Comment

ALL of Mary's hair, which was very long, wouldn't be matted and/or bloodstained though, would it? There could have been some untouched strands which Joe would have recognised, together with her eyes (or ears!)

Comment

Rosella, just how long do you realistically think Barnett would have spent examining the body?
                      I suspect most of us would throw up faced with a few seconds of witnessing the scene...
                      I couldn't recognise a single strand of my own hair with any certainty so are you saying that you think Barnett stood over her sifting through strands of hair looking for a blood free one??
                      I'd be surprised if he did anymore than peep round the corner, in fact it wouldn't surprise me if Abberline thought 'forget the ID, we know it's her anyway ' and just wrote down, like he would have to,that she was positively identified

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
                        I agree that the book is written in an unfortunate way. Wynne Weston Davies presents as "facts" what we now know (if one has listened to the podcast and read about current ongoing research) is the author's pure speculation. And although the book has many end notes, these end notes are entirely unhelpful if one is looking for any real corroboration of the contents. The end notes are not there to cite sources, they are there to add more fluff. It is very frustrating.

BUT, the whole thing is not made up.

If a Chris Scott or Debra Arif or any other Ripperologist researcher seeking to locate the real Mary Kelly were to have discovered:

A woman from Wales named Davies who had a brother named John and whose father was in a similar line of work, was around the right age, who possibly lied about a former marriage, took to drink, according to a court filing engaged in prostitution, spent time in the West End before going to the East End, and who cannot be traced past 1885...
                        and left it at that, I and many others would have been keenly interested in this discovery.

People reading these boards need to be informed as to what's there as facts and what is not. But I hope no one is turned away from the discovery of Elizabeth Weston Davies by reading such sweeping and incorrect generalizations as I've seen stated on these boards over and over. It is not a complete work of fiction. Even tossing out everything else in the book leaving only what's not made up, a discovery of a potential candidate such as the above would still have created quite a stir around here, and rightly so. The facts that we have about Elizabeth Weston Davies are the closest to MJK that we've yet seen. They are by no means definitive. Far from it. But it is worth looking into and what is there warrants much further examination.

JM
                        Having stood back from these threads for a week or so now in order for the dust to settle, perhaps I could make a few comments.
                        The book is not 'made up' as Pinkmoon suggests. Of course all the evidence is, at this stage, circumstantial as almost all other Ripper evidence is. Certain things are verifiable fact and these are all referenced in the book - the birth and marriage of EWD, the divorce petition, affidavit and notes of Francis Craig, the facts regarding Craig's life, where he lived, how he died, what others thought of him - all of these are verifiable facts and the sources are given in the book.
                        One point which has bee brought up by some people, including at the Ripper Conference in Nottingham yesterday, is about Francis Craig being on the electoral register for Hammersmith between 1885 and 1888. I already knew that but it does not mean that he was resident there at the time. The Representation of the People Act linked the right to vote to property ownership. FSC owned property in Hammersmith and so that was where he was registered to vote. In the event of an election he would have had to travel there to vote if he chose to do so.
                        On the much vexed question of the exhumation: I am happy to show anyone who asks me privately the email I received from the British Ministry of Justce which gives that permission. I am not going to put it on the public internet as it is a private communication from a government department and it would be a breach of confidence to do so but if Pinkmoon or anyone else would care to email me privately I will share it.
                        I have said all along that the exhumation may not happen, simply because of the difficulty in actually locating her grave. There are plenty of people who are willing to underwrite the cost - indeed I will myself if necessary - but that is not the point, it is knowing where to look which is. Having said that I am now in communication with the person who, in 1970, placed the present headstone and has all the records of how he and the cemetery authorities worked out the position so that might bring the possibility a little nearer. My main objective from the outset has been to find out what happened to my grandfather's sister. Nothing would please me more than someone tracing EWD after 1888, particularly if she had gone on to have children and for there to be living descendants. However I have spent much of my life trying to do that with no success and I genuinely believe that the body in St Patrick's Cemetery is the nearest I've come.
                        I am sorry if people think I haven't laid out te tangible evidence well enough; if that is the case I apologise but what actually occurred between Francis Craig and Elizabeth Weston Davies must largely be speculation, a piecing together of the most likely explanation - call it fiction if you like - but then that has been the case with many of the other suspects from Aaron Kosminski to Montague Druitt. At this distance in time and in the absence of letters or diaries we can only conjecture. If there is any specific piece of evidence that anyone wants and cannot find sourced in the book I will do my best to try to provide it.
                        Prosector

Comment

Originally posted by Prosector View Post
                          Having stood back from these threads for a week or so now in order for the dust to settle, perhaps I could make a few comments.
                          The book is not 'made up' as Pinkmoon suggests. Of course all the evidence is, at this stage, circumstantial as almost all other Ripper evidence is. Certain things are verifiable fact and these are all referenced in the book - the birth and marriage of EWD, the divorce petition, affidavit and notes of Francis Craig, the facts regarding Craig's life, where he lived, how he died, what others thought of him - all of these are verifiable facts and the sources are given in the book.
                          One point which has bee brought up by some people, including at the Ripper Conference in Nottingham yesterday, is about Francis Craig being on the electoral register for Hammersmith between 1885 and 1888. I already knew that but it does not mean that he was resident there at the time. The Representation of the People Act linked the right to vote to property ownership. FSC owned property in Hammersmith and so that was where he was registered to vote. In the event of an election he would have had to travel there to vote if he chose to do so.
                          On the much vexed question of the exhumation: I am happy to show anyone who asks me privately the email I received from the British Ministry of Justce which gives that permission. I am not going to put it on the public internet as it is a private communication from a government department and it would be a breach of confidence to do so but if Pinkmoon or anyone else would care to email me privately I will share it.
                          I have said all along that the exhumation may not happen, simply because of the difficulty in actually locating her grave. There are plenty of people who are willing to underwrite the cost - indeed I will myself if necessary - but that is not the point, it is knowing where to look which is. Having said that I am now in communication with the person who, in 1970, placed the present headstone and has all the records of how he and the cemetery authorities worked out the position so that might bring the possibility a little nearer. My main objective from the outset has been to find out what happened to my grandfather's sister. Nothing would please me more than someone tracing EWD after 1888, particularly if she had gone on to have children and for there to be living descendants. However I have spent much of my life trying to do that with no success and I genuinely believe that the body in St Patrick's Cemetery is the nearest I've come.
                          I am sorry if people think I haven't laid out te tangible evidence well enough; if that is the case I apologise but what actually occurred between Francis Craig and Elizabeth Weston Davies must largely be speculation, a piecing together of the most likely explanation - call it fiction if you like - but then that has been the case with many of the other suspects from Aaron Kosminski to Montague Druitt. At this distance in time and in the absence of letters or diaries we can only conjecture. If there is any specific piece of evidence that anyone wants and cannot find sourced in the book I will do my best to try to provide it.
                          Prosector
                          Thank you for posting Prosector.

I wish you all the best in locating your relative.
                          G U T

Comment

Hi Wynne

FSC didn't own property, did he? Presumably if anyone from the family owned the house in Andover Rd it was his father, although his death doesn't seem to have improved FSC's financial position.

In 1887 FSC was on the lodgers' register, living with his parents but paying his father six shillings for the rent of a room.

Comment

It is true that the [competing] theories proposing Aaron Kosminski and Montague Druitt as the likeliest Jack rely, to an extent, on conjecture and speculation because there are still missing pieces of the jigsaw (albeit less so for Druitt now).

On the other hand, this is not on the same level as theories about suspects who have only recently been discovered/proposed, because Druitt and Kosminski (or Cohen) -- and to some extent Tumblety and Chapman -- were believed, to varying degrees, to be Jack by contemporaneous police figures, though none were a solution that could be tested in a courtroom.

Therefore it becomes a question of the reliability of those police figures who were there; of attempting to justify their solutions, and also providing a credible explanation as to why no police consensus formed around a single contemporaneous Scotland Yard suspect.

Comment

Rosella, just how long do you realistically think Barnett would have spent examining the body?
                                I suspect most of us would throw up faced with a few seconds of witnessing the scene...
                                I couldn't recognise a single strand of my own hair with any certainty so are you saying that you think Barnett stood over her sifting through strands of hair looking for a blood free one??
                                I'd be surprised if he did anymore than peep round the corner, in fact it wouldn't surprise me if Abberline thought 'forget the ID, we know it's her anyway ' and just wrote down, like he would have to,that she was positively identified
                                I don't think anyone expects that Barnet identified the body while at Millers Court. The police will conduct an official identification and bring him to the mortuary to see the body at his leasure - no quick glances through a broken window.
                                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X