No announcement yet.

Update on my book about Chapman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about The Southwark Poisoner: Was He JTR?

Best wishes,
    Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Russell View Post
      How about The Southwark Poisoner: Was He JTR?

Best wishes,
      Steve.
      Hi Steve, I am grateful for your interest and suggestion.

The problem with that title is that it suggests that the entire book is devoted to assessing whether he was or was not JtR, and that this aspect of Chapman is the only interesting thing about him.

That is not the case and I am determined never to mislead or disappoint readers.

In fact the part of the book that deals with that question is currently 3% of a 46,000-word book.

Chapman was a serial killer in his own right and (it could be argued) worse than JtR.

I suppose my thesis is: regardless of whether or not he was JtR, he was definitely one of the most sadistic and cold blooded killers ever to be tried at the Old Bailey.

However, unlike Christie et al, because nobody ever made a play/film etc about him, he is entirely unknown today other than for being a Ripper suspect. Therefore I need to put JtR somewhere in the title so people can 'get a handle' on who he was, and also to 'ride on the shirt tails' of the enormous continued interest in JtR. I'd be stupid not to!

Helena
      Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Sorry Helena - I wasn't paying attention - lol

How about making the title appear as if it is a series ie

Jack the Ripper Suspect: The Southwark Poisoner

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo View Post
          Sorry Helena - I wasn't paying attention - lol

How about making the title appear as if it is a series ie

Jack the Ripper Suspect: The Southwark Poisoner
          Oooh that is a good one! Turning the sequence on its head.

In fact, it could indeed be a series (though I don't want to write them all)

Jack the Ripper Suspect: The Mad Doctor
          Jack the Ripper Suspect: The Self-Abuser
          Jack the Ripper Suspect: The Royal Prince

etc...

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

hi
            definitely carry on with the book, because it's still possible that he could've been the Ripper, i guess it all depends on the Hutchinson sighting, was he telling the truth, unfortunately my guess is no.

he fits the profile of the Ripper for sure, but what tends to rule him out is that there are no more ripper style murders after Kelly, either here or in America, plus when he returned later too. Everything else fits but this goes heavily against him.

in fact, when i was studying him in detail, Chapman was almost too good a suspect to be true and maybe it's as simple as this !

but i still rate him in the top 3, because there is something truly sinister about him that goes way beyond a poisoner only, he is definitely evil enough, easily, but maybe too smart/ self- preserving to be the Ripper.

a doctor/ surgeon tends not to mutilate like that, he's more likely to poison and not get himself quite so covered in blood.... the Ripper seems to me to be a Joe Average born and bread local, but then again i'm probably wrong !

in fact, i'm confusing myself again

i can definitely see him as the Ripper and then again i cant and that's about it i suppose

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm X View Post
              hi
              definitely carry on with the book, because it's still possible that he could've been the Ripper... i still rate him in the top 3, because there is something truly sinister about him that goes way beyond a poisoner only, he is definitely evil enough

i can definitely see him as the Ripper and then again i cant and that's about it i suppose
              Thanks for your message and your vote Mal!

There is nothing to rule him out being the Ripper, if it is possible to have such a radical change in M.O.

And you are right - he was definitely evil enough.

Comment

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
                Thanks for your message and your vote Mal!

There is nothing to rule him out being the Ripper, if it is possible to have such a radical change in M.O.

And you are right - he was definitely evil enough.
                his change in M.O is nothing, it's the most sensible thing to do if the killer is hoping to remain undetected, in fact; it is the only way to kill his lovers!

i.e he cant kill them at home and then risk being seen dumping their bodies in crowded Whitechapel.

he can only brutally murder a lover that he occassionally visits (TORSO MURDERS), because Chapman probably wouldn't give a damn if he was seen away from home with an intended victim, simply because witness descriptions are so bad late at night, but his mistake would be to kill a lover with her friends knowing his name and where he lives.... most of this is fairly obvious.

what is important is, he cant stop killing women and for no reason at all, no need to kill them, and of all the top suspects, he's the only genuine Serial killer.

he almost did use a knife didn't he, but he was wise enough not to.....only out on the streets, if he is JTR that is .

out on the streets it doesn't matter if he's the Ripper, because it's much harder to get caught, but the problem is we have no more Ripper murders while he's back here.... this can be explained away, but it's very shaky.

the weakest with regards to Chapman are :-
                1... no more Ripper murders
                2... it's not the way that an intelligent semi-trained calculating surgeon would kill, he would poison or slit throats only, the mutilations probably wouldn't interest him, that's more anout semi- insanity or imbecilic interest
                3....Chapman was maybe too Cowardly.

but the switch in M.O is nothing, this is similar to Zodiac

Comment

his change in M.O is nothingthis is similar to Zodiac
                  There is a recent 274-message thread about this here: http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=5337

Do you have any ideas for my book title for me

Comment

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
                    There is a recent 274-message thread about this here: http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=5337

Do you have any ideas for my book title for me

1...... was he or was he not, JTR

2......Chapman, was he JTR ?

3.....the Crimes of G.Chapman

4.....the portrait of Evil

you need to leave the story of Chapman open ended.... argue for him as the Ripper, then mention his weak points etc and leave it to the reader to make his mind up.

dont loose heart etc, just make writing an interesting book your main Goal, nobody can name JTR, you're no diffferent from any other author.

Comment

1...... was he or was he not, JTR2......Chapman, was he JTR ?3.....the Crimes of G.Chapman4.....the portrait of Evil.
                      Thanks for your input Malcolm..

"leave it to the reader to make his mind up."

You think there is going to be only one reader!

Yikes! I hope he is worth all this trouble!

Comment

Helena,
                        Given that only about 3% of the book will be concerned with Chapman's alleged connection to the Ripper crimes, and given your obvious integrity, I find it difficult to see how you can mention JtR in the title. Perhaps in a subtitle as I suggested earlier or in the blurb by all means, but not in the title.

Your hard work deserves to be both recognised and remunerated but remember, anything you publish will last forever and you would not want your work, or your reputation, to be associated with misrepresentation.

Just my thoughts and no offence intended,
                        Steve.

PS The very best of luck with the book.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Russell View Post
                          I find it difficult to see how you can mention JtR in the title. Perhaps in a subtitle as I suggested earlier or in the blurb by all means, but not in the title.
                          ...no offence intended,
                          Thank you Steve for your good wishes and interest.

It's not offensive, Steve, because I have said precisely the same thing on this very thread.

But it is equally true that to waste my only 'golden' opportunity to attract readers would be utterly stupid.

And, let's not forget, until the identity of JtR is finally proved, Chapman has as much chance as any other suspect of being the Ripper. He is currently voted 6th out of 22 suspects on this very message board, that is very high.

Just wanted also to reply to: "Your hard work deserves to be both recognised and remunerated". Don't get carried away by the myth that every published book makes a fortune. If I sold, say, 1,000 copies, after deducting all my expenses, I might make £4,000 'profit'. However, by then I'll have worked about 4,000 hours on the book, so my remuneration or "wage" will be something in the region of £1 an hour. The average self-published book sells 300 copies and most don't break even.

Yesterday I found a small gold mine of new material and today will be weaving it into the text as appropriate. The text now comprises 56,000 words and has 235 footnotes and three appendices! Phew!

Comment

.....the Crimes of G.Chapman
                            I think that's a bit harsh...despite some of his bad behaviour, he still left us
                            The Holy grail and Life of Brian as a memorial.
                            http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Update: I have been given this suggestion as a title:

“The Man behind the Face of Jack the Ripper:
                              George Chapman unmasked”

On the front cover, a photo of the e-fit produced by Scotland Yard and a photo of Chapman.

Comment

Yes it's me again.

I'm wondering if you have any specific reason for thinking Chapman isn't the Ripper, as mentioned in this post.

Thanks for your prompt reply to my direct e-mail, by the way.

SW

Comment

Working...
                                X