1881 Census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1881 Census

I saw this Police Order of 11th March 1881 the other day regarding the forthcoming census and thought it might be of interest to some:

CENSUS OF 1881 – The Superintendents are to instruct the Police in correctly stating the particulars required in the Schedule left at their places of residence, and that the names of those on duty during the night of Sunday, the 3rd of April, are to be inserted in the same manner as if they had slept in their homes.

Prisoners confined at Police Stations on the night of 3rd of April, are to be described as accurately as possible on the Forms of Schedule sent to Divisions this day (more can be obtained at this Office if required) and the Forms handed to the Enumerators of the District on 4th.

The Police on night duty on 3rd April, are to carefully notice, and report on the morning of the 4th, the following particulars of each houseless person who slept in the open air "Sex" "Apparent age," "Where found sleeping (streets, Parks etc.)", "Parish and locality."

These particulars are to be entered on the Forms and Schedules distinct from the prisoners, indorsed “Persons found sleeping in streets etc.,” and handed in to the Enumerators of the district, who will call on the 4th.

The Police are to give all necessary assistance to the Enumerators, in protecting them and suppressing any disturbance which may occur while they are visiting each house to collect the schedule.

E.Y.W. HENDERSON

i have been doing family history research, and I find it fascinating that they were interested in homeless people sleeping in the open air, as well as everyone else. Thanks for the info!
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

Yes, thanks David. Quite impressive that they managed to accomplish as much as they did, in the more rundown areas.

Comment

1881 census for Leman Street Police Station..........

SMITH, John Lodger Head Single M 29 1852 Sergeant Metropolitan Police Ireland
        FARMER, George H Lodger Single M 24 1857 Constable Metropolitan Police Kings Brompton
        Somerset
        REED, William H Lodger Single M 23 1858 Constable Metropolitan Police Westminster
        Middlesex
        SCOTT, John Lodger Single M 23 1858 Constable Metropolitan Police Milverton
        Somerset
        CASSERLY, Patrick Lodger Single M 37 1844 Constable Metropolitan Police Ireland
        LUXFORD, Jacob G Lodger Single M 24 1857 Constable Metropolitan Police Pelehurst
        Oxfordshire
        CUFF, William J Lodger Single M 22 1859 Constable Metropolitan Police Whitechurch
        Dorset
        WEBB, Edwin Lodger Single M 29 1852 Constable Metropolitan Police Blockley
        Worcestershire
        AINGER, James Lodger Single M 28 1853 Constable Metropolitan Police Mistley
        Essex
        DOUGHTY, George F Lodger Single M 21 1860 Constable Metropolitan Police Plumstead
        Kent
        MARKELL, John Lodger Single M 36 1845 Constable Metropolitan Police Cookham Dean
        Berkshire
        SAMPLE, James Lodger Single M 22 1859 Constable Metropolitan Police Woodhorn
        Northumberland
        GUNTER, William Lodger Single M 33 1848 Constable Metropolitan Police Highly St Mary
        Devon
        WHITE, Arthur Lodger Single M 25 1856 Constable Metropolitan Police Sunbury
        Middlesex
        WOOD, John Lodger Single M 24 1857 Constable Metropolitan Police Dengie
        Essex
        SYMES, George Lodger Single M 30 1851 Constable Metropolitan Police Compton Pauncefoot
        Somerset
        AUSTEN, William H Lodger Single M 22 1859 Constable Metropolitan Police St Nicholas Strood
        Kent
        BRIND, Herbert Lodger Single M 22 1859 Constable Metropolitan Police Woolwich ((Cuddington))
        Kent
        LYNCH, Patrick Lodger Single M 26 1855 Constable Metropolitan Police Woolwich
        Kent
        GWILLIAM, Edwin Lodger Single M 33 1848 Constable Metropolitan Police Salop Clun St Aallingburg
        Ireland
        THURLEY, Arthur Lodger Single M 20 1861 Constable Metropolitan Police Clun (Gt Hallingbury)
        Shropshire
        GRAHAM, Isaac Lodger Single M 29 1852 Constable Metropolitan Police G Hullingbury
        Essex
        VENNELL, Jonathan Lodger Single M 32 1849 Constable Metropolitan Police Cranbrook
        Kent
        BARBER, Richard J Lodger Single M 25 1856 Constable Metropolitan Police Wye
        Kent
        THOMAS, John Lodger Single M 27 1854 Constable Metropolitan Police Cardiff
        Glamorganshire
        Wales
        FAGEN, Christopher Lodger Single M 25 1856 Constable Metropolitan Police Ireland
        HUNT, William Lodger Single M 31 1850 Constable Metropolitan Police Chelsea
        Middlesex
        WICKENS, Horace Lodger Single M 23 1858 Constable Metropolitan Police Hunton
        Kent
        DON, John Lodger Single M 24 1857 Constable Metropolitan Police
        Scotland
        ROSE, Thomas Lodger Single M 31 1850 Constable Metropolitan Police Cuddington
        Buckinghamshire
        HOLDER, Thomas Lodger Single M 26 1855 Constable Metropolitan Police East Grinstead
        Sussex
        BETHELL, John Lodger Single M 21 1860 Constable Metropolitan Police Much Dunchurch
        Herefordshire

Comment

I seem to recall that the 1881 census covering Leman Street, also included all the prisoners in the cells.

Bit depressing to think you're been preserved to posterity as being a prisoner cell.....

Comment

Yes Pcdunn and Robert, I've never actually seen any census records of homeless people but if the PO was followed they must have been created.

Comment

I recall seeing prisoners listed in a Commercial Street census.

One that interested me, and I forget the year, was City DC Daniel Halse, who had his French niece stating with him in a census (91 or 01 I think)

Monty
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Hi Monty

In 1881 at 28 Jewin Crescent :

Daniel Halse, 38, City Police Constable, born Abbotts Langley
                Margaret J Halse, wife, 40, born Taunton
                Virginie Tabourit, niece, 11, born France British Subject

Since people didn't always follow the rule of relationship to the Head, she could have been niece to either of the Halses.

Comment

I also have come across examples whereby the wife of the bobby in question has got younger dispite the passage of time.....

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                    Hi Monty

In 1881 at 28 Jewin Crescent :

Daniel Halse, 38, City Police Constable, born Abbotts Langley
                    Margaret J Halse, wife, 40, born Taunton
                    Virginie Tabourit, niece, 11, born France British Subject

Since people didn't always follow the rule of relationship to the Head, she could have been niece to either of the Halses.
                    Many thanks for clarifying Robert.

It was one of those curiosities which I never got around to look at.

Monty
                    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Monty, I've done a bit of Googling, and from Simon's post #6 it looks like Virginie was niece to Mrs Halse :

Comment

Working...
                      X