Dissertations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dissertations

Is there a way to ascertain what dissertations are the most recent?

It would be useful if we were able to view the Dissertations page by the most recent dissertation posted.

Failing that, does anyone have an index of the dissertations by date?

If not, I might have a go at compiling one myself.

Does anyone, apart from me, think that this would be useful?

Please do so

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
    Is there a way to ascertain what dissertations are the most recent?

It would be useful if we were able to view the Dissertations page by the most recent dissertation posted.

Failing that, does anyone have an index of the dissertations by date?

If not, I might have a go at compiling one myself.

Does anyone, apart from me, think that this would be useful?
    If allowable, it would be so much of a help for newbies like myself who are so green & have so much to wade through before sounding like a fool on a thread.
    From Voltaire writing in Diderot's Encyclopédie:
    "One demands of modern historians more details, better ascertained facts, precise dates, , more attention to customs, laws, commerce, agriculture, population."

Comment

Having checked the Dissertations page, there appear to be no dates appended to each individual dissertation.
      As such there appears to be no way to produce an index of the dissertations arranged by date.

Would Admin have this info?

Any advice/comments would be welcome.

Do people think this would be a useful exercise?

Comment

It's a detail that I always thought should have been included.
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Nothing wrong with an old dissertation, but certain info - e.g. genealogical - inevitably tends to need updating. So I think the giving of a date, if possible, would help both the readers and the writers, who are not to be blamed if certain resources weren't available to them at the time of writing.

Comment

I too think it would be very helpful. If the admins aren't eaten by bears, perhaps it could be suggested when (if) they return.

Comment

Admins are still alive and well and checking in when they can. As for the dates, unfortunately I am not sure what the possibility is of this. You have to remember that Casebook was started by a college kid 20 years ago and I don't think it ever crossed his mind that people would be reading some of those dissertations 20 years out. The ones that were submitted by the authors that were also published in magazines are of course, easy, but I am not sure what to do about the individually submitted ones. If someone wanted to compile a list of the ones that WEREN'T in magazines, and therefore have no date attached, and email them to me, we could attempt to do a "best guess" date, but it might be the difference between "published in October 2010" and "published sometime between 1996 and 1998". Anyhoo, it's 4 am here and we are off on an 11 mile hike to hopefully not be eaten by bears, or head butted off a cliff by randy sheep. An actual possibility apparently....

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
                Admins are still alive and well and checking in when they can. As for the dates, unfortunately I am not sure what the possibility is of this. You have to remember that Casebook was started by a college kid 20 years ago and I don't think it ever crossed his mind that people would be reading some of those dissertations 20 years out. The ones that were submitted by the authors that were also published in magazines are of course, easy, but I am not sure what to do about the individually submitted ones. If someone wanted to compile a list of the ones that WEREN'T in magazines, and therefore have no date attached, and email them to me, we could attempt to do a "best guess" date, but it might be the difference between "published in October 2010" and "published sometime between 1996 and 1998". Anyhoo, it's 4 am here and we are off on an 11 mile hike to hopefully not be eaten by bears, or head butted off a cliff by randy sheep. An actual possibility apparently....

Enjoy.

Do you mean there is more than one 4 o'clock per day??????
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I firmly believe that this is all a scam by Ally to exhibit poor Stephen as "The Wild Man Of The Woods." She's probably making a mint selling tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
                    I am happy to have a go at this as per Admin's suggestions.

It may not pan out the way we hope, but at least we can say we tried.

Comment

Merci from the bayou

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
                      I am happy to have a go at this as per Admin's suggestions.

It may not pan out the way we hope, but at least we can say we tried.
                      From Voltaire writing in Diderot's Encyclopédie:
                      "One demands of modern historians more details, better ascertained facts, precise dates, , more attention to customs, laws, commerce, agriculture, population."

Comment

Working...
                      X