No announcement yet.

The Moat Farm Mystery - M.W. Oldridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have just finished the book and can't recommend it enough. Mark paints a compelling portrait of the arch rogue Dougal and his naughty ways, combined with meticulous research, all wrapped up in a writing style that is assured, lyrical and compulsive reading. It's practically poetic in places.

This is the first book in ages that I have read cover-to-cover - it's a fascinating story told brilliantly.

I'm looking forward to whatever 'Mr. Oldridge' comes up with next.

Comment

Hi,

From amazon.com:

I found the author's style prolix, awkward and a little tendentious. A good editor would have helped this to being a worthy title of the genre.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by m_w_r View Post

From amazon.com:

I found the author's style prolix, awkward and a little tendentious. A good editor would have helped this to being a worthy title of the genre.

Well this person won't be winning the Critic of the Year Award anytime soon.
        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Hi Mark,
          I love your writing style and I want to steal it an use it for myself, muaaaah.

I think this book is great. I knew nothing about the case now I know everything.

And I am thinking it would be a neat Xmas present for certain family members too
          Jenni

ps what can i say my family like murders
          “be just and fear not”

Comment

Mark

that reviewer doesn't know what they are talking about.

Your style is measured, articulate, perfectly poised and professional. Your research is erudite and thorough and the book is a pure joy to read. I haven't finished it yet, and I almost don't want to, because I don't want the pleasure of reading it to end.

Your book is superb. End of.

Anyone that says any different is not worth listening to.

Jen x
            babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

Indeed, Mark's prose is impeccable and it leads us through a well-researched and well-told story. Like Jenni, I intend to buy several copies to give as Christmas presents.

Comment

Today I started compiling the index to Moat Farm Mystery. I'm only on page 37 and already Dougal has (possibly) murdered two wives!

I agree with previous commentators: the book is well-researched, and Mark writes with great narrative flair and dry humour.

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                Indeed, Mark's prose is impeccable and it leads us through a well-researched and well-told story. Like Jenni, I intend to buy several copies to give as Christmas presents.
                A true crime book without an index is itself a crime.

Comment

On the above recommendations, I have ordered a copy.

Comment

I had no idea that Mark had a tendentious prolix.

He really should see a doctor!

Helena
                    Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

The Moat Farm Mystery, written by M.W.Oldridge,and published by the History Press, is a brand new example of the classic true crime case, t...
                      babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

I've just come across this thread and thought it worthy of revival...it stimulated me to review the book for Amazon, wherein I've awarded it four stars (it would've easily been a five if David Green's very fine index had been integral).

It's one of those books you never repent of buying...I've read it three times so far and have it down for a further revisit shortly.

It's a truly in-depth investigation, not only into the crimes that resulted in Samuel Dougal being hanged, but remarkably into his whole life - it is fascinating seeing where he starts to "cross the line" and how his crimes escalate until he starts on the biggies...and it's very well written too - the first time I read it, I genuinely didn't want to put it down.

And at the end, the only question remaining is "how did he get away with it for so long?" All the other questions I might've had have been admirably answered by the author.

I really recommend this work to anybody with an interest, no matter how general, in this field.

Every good wish

Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X