Aleister Crowleys Gloves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aleister Crowleys Gloves

Sorry i couldn't find a thread on this but i wanted to tell you all something i heard years ago.

I was enjoying a few drinks with friends in a local pub when a friend of mine introduced me to someone who was the caretaker of Boleskine House during Jimmy Page's ownership. This house on the banks of Loch Ness also once belonged to Aleister Crowley.
    He explained that during Crowleys tenure (1899-1913), he would usually invite his Socialite London friends to dinner and usually some magical ceremony at Boleskine house. Once particular evening the topic of conversation turned to the Ripper. During the discussion Crowley left the room and returned a few moments later with a small wooden box.
    Opening the box Crowley took out a pair of blood stained and dirty white gloves and explained the gloves belonged to none other than Jack the Ripper.

Now! I personally dont hold much into this story, but the telling of it to me was so convincing. It wouldn't suprise me at all if Crowley had knowledge of these crimes! He was a Masonic member and the murders have links; albiet tenious to Masonic practices.
    Last edited by alex_the_droog; 07-19-2011, 06:25 PM.

if it came out of Crowley's mouth I wouldn't hold much value to it... Crowley was in the Thelema, it's related to Kabalistic practice , I'm not sure that was part of the bro's trip.

Comment

Although items supposedly in his possession were neckties, I have mentioned previously that years ago I remember reading that he had JtR's gloves, so maybe your post confirms this

Comment

Crowley loved little games and shock effects, he was an interesting fellow but I wouldn't trust any of his utterances or writings if it's not about Magick.
        ~ All perils, specially malignant, are recurrent - Thomas De Quincey ~

Comment

Originally posted by bolo View Post
          Crowley loved little games and shock effects, he was an interesting fellow but I wouldn't trust any of his utterances or writings if it's not about Magick.
          even his writtings about occultism are not to be trusted... serious **** is bound to happen if you play both on the Kabbalah AND the Kliffoth at once like he did and mixing it with Yezidi occultism... aie aie aie!

Comment

Originally posted by Sister Hyde View Post
            even his writtings about occultism are not to be trusted.
            A number of Crowley's works are very inspiring and show his ability to think outside the box, that's more you could say about some of his like-minded contemporaries.

Comment

A number of Crowley's works are very inspiring and show his ability to think outside the box, that's more you could say about some of his like-minded contemporaries.
              oh yes that... agreed definitely. but his way to proceed were a recipe for disastre. I'm sure he realizes it now

Comment

Of course, Forbes Winslow had Jack the Ripper's boots. It is surprising that with so many pieces of clothing from the guy that no one ever caught the blighter.

Christopher T. George
                Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Is this Jack the Ripper or Jake the Ripper? He seems to have been a three-legged man.

Comment

They aren't outside the box. Most of the beliefs he espoused were complete ripoffs of other religions. His social commentary was interesting but irrelevant, his relevance was limited mostly to showing people what a decent con man looks like, his sophistry trite, and his views on human nature were such that it is surprising that a legion of dead Greek philosophers weren't lined up outside his door waiting to box his ears. Everything he did and everything he wrote could have been effortlessly replicated by anyone with access to decent library. The only reason he had any success was because he was not as vapid as Besant (who really WAS an original thinker) nor was he as unacceptably foreign or female like Blavatsky. Of course being an upper class rich bad boy never hurts a man's popularity, but it doesn't make him meaningful either.
                    The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
                      They aren't outside the box. Most of the beliefs he espoused were complete ripoffs of other religions. His social commentary was interesting but irrelevant, his relevance was limited mostly to showing people what a decent con man looks like, his sophistry trite, and his views on human nature were such that it is surprising that a legion of dead Greek philosophers weren't lined up outside his door waiting to box his ears. Everything he did and everything he wrote could have been effortlessly replicated by anyone with access to decent library. The only reason he had any success was because he was not as vapid as Besant (who really WAS an original thinker) nor was he as unacceptably foreign or female like Blavatsky. Of course being an upper class rich bad boy never hurts a man's popularity, but it doesn't make him meaningful either.
                      he was the La Vey of his time

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
                        Well, I find some of his esoteric works inspiring, if you don't, more power to you. There's a golden (or should I say red) thread running through his combined system which gives lots of food for thought to those well-versed in the old ways.

Okay, the Thelema phase was slightly silly... and yes, sometimes our little sunshine was a con man...

Then again, I highly doubt that the core of his thoughts could be "replicated by anyone with access to decent library", that's a bit preposterous.

Comment

Then again, I highly doubt that the core of his thoughts could be "replicated by anyone with access to decent library", that's a bit preposterous.
                          The whole of the law is do what thou wilt? Hedonism with a dash of Epicurus. But he didn't even steal it from them, he stole it from the Medieval alchemists, who got it from Augustine who stole it from the Greek philosophers.

Even the whole libertine thing I think was patterned very closely after Byron.

There really are no new ideas in the world any more.
                          The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Errata,

"Do what thou wilt" as derived from Liber Al isn't really that clever. I'm more into stuff like Liber 777, Book of Toth and Magick Without Tears. If you closely examine some of his thoughts and experiments in the occult-historical context of their time, they not only make a lot of sense but also paved the way for the aforementioned outside the box thinking.

Let me add that I'm not a practitioner but a scholar with a certain historical interest. No cat sacrifices or anything.

Regards,

Boris

Comment

We do seem to be a tad off topic dont we? Lol. Crowley has always been a fascinating character, but does the story have any creedence with members on here. Has anyone heard this story before? I know there is an essay on here about 5 bloody neckties!

Comment

Working...
                              X