Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for Truth with a Broken Flashlight

Greetings all,

I have a non-JTR book just out called Searching for Truth with a Broken Flashlight - The Reality of Misconception & Wishful Thinking in the Evolution/Creation Controversy . I have two reasons for telling you. First, I have no humility and I am plugging a piece of work I've researched for nearly 30 years. Second, Phil Carter, a fellow ripperologist, gave me some crucial advice as I was working on my wishful thinking chapters, and I wanted to publically thank him in front of fellow ripperologists. Thank you Phil.

I purposely avoided any comments about ripperology, even though some of it would have nicely fit in. The closest I got was this short excerpt:

An Example of Integration

Taking Dr. Damasio’s discoveries into consideration, human beings often take advantage of both decision-making processes
    [the two discussed earlier in the chapter are the intellectual method of decision-making by using an inductive and/or deductive logical approach – objective and the emotional, or affective, method of decision making by logically justifying a believe – subjective] in order to effectively discover the truth. Take for example a murder case. After the murder, a crime scene investigation ensues. The investigation begins with crime scene recognition, followed by documentation, finding the evidence, collecting the evidence, and then analyzing the evidence. The investigators are using the intellectual method of decision-making in order to make sense of the case. Detectives assigned to the case will also use the intellectual method of decision-making as they create a list of suspects. When the suspects are investigated and evaluated and the list narrows to one probable suspect, decision-making may begin to shift. As a detective finally becomes convinced of the guilt of one particular suspect, his or her attention, time, and energy is now focused upon that suspect. This new motivation and focus is an affective response, meaning it is a product of the emotional method of decision-making. The detective is now attempting to justify his or her belief with the discovery of new evidence. In one respect, the emotional method of decision-making has an advantage over the intellectual method, because of the increased level of persistence and drive associated with it. Tenacity is an excellent quality for a detective to effectively catch a murderer, as long as it is focused upon the right person.

I have more excerpts on my author website: www.searchingfortruthwithabrokenflashlight.com

Again, Thank you Phil.

Sincerely,

Mike
    Last edited by mklhawley; 10-19-2010, 06:55 PM.
    The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
    http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
    As a detective finally becomes convinced of the guilt of one particular suspect, his or her attention, time, and energy is now focused upon that suspect. This new motivation and focus is an affective response, meaning it is a product of the emotional method of decision-making. The detective is now attempting to justify his or her belief with the discovery of new evidence. In one respect, the emotional method of decision-making has an advantage over the intellectual method, because of the increased level of persistence and drive associated with it. Tenacity is an excellent quality for a detective to effectively catch a murderer, as long as it is focused upon the right person.
    Hi Mike,

Well quite. If your theoretical detective is focused upon the wrong person there is a distinct disadvantage for everyone involved if his persistence and drive are such that he will not be diverted from his course.

This reminds me of people who used to say they really admired Mrs Thatcher for her tenacity to go a particular route ("the lady is not for turning") even though they suspected she was hurtling down the wrong one and taking the country with her. I always found that a strange thing to admire in anyone.

Surely the detective who 'finally becomes convinced' of a suspect's guilt and then looks for enough evidence to justify his belief is doing things arse backwards and is in the wrong job. It's a process of elimination (trying to narrow the list, as you say), and it doesn't follow that the guilty party will even be among the suspects, or that the last man on the list will be a strong one.

Love,

Caz
    X
    Last edited by caz; 10-27-2010, 05:31 PM.
    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
      Hi Mike,

Well quite. If your theoretical detective is focused upon the wrong person there is a distinct disadvantage for everyone involved if his persistence and drive are such that he will not be diverted from his course.

This reminds me of people who used to say they really admired Mrs Thatcher for her tenacity to go a particular route ("the lady is not for turning") even though they suspected she was hurtling down the wrong one and taking the country with her. I always found that a strange thing to admire in anyone.

Surely the detective who 'finally becomes convinced' of a suspect's guilt and then looks for enough evidence to justify his belief is doing things arse backwards and is in the wrong job. It's a process of elimination (trying to narrow the list, as you say), and it doesn't follow that the guilty party will even be among the suspects, or that the last man on the list will be a strong one.

Love,

Caz
      X
      Well put Caz.

Mike
      The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
      http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

Working...
      X