The Curtis Bennett Inquiry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Observer View Post
    The thing is Elamarna, it sems double standards are in force here. When certain posters procrastinate, and tantalise, they are shot down in flames. As I said this thread now reaches the half century, and I merely asked what the hell it had to do with the case.
    Piece of advise for you pal. If you wanted to know if davids posthad any bearing on the case as a whole, or if it had anything to do with a suspect, why didn't you just ask politely like a normal person. Like this:

Hi David
    Does this info have anything to do with the case in general, or with a suspect specifically. I would be very interested to know if it does.

But as usual, you just act like an ass right off the bat. But hopefully your done interrupting a thread that a lot of people obviously find interesting. Casebook is not only about who the ripper was, if you hadn't noticed by now, that's why there are sections like" police officials and procedures" etc. LOL.

But please feel free to go back to posting more nonsense on the other threads. Your pretty good at it.
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Remember this, I'm not your pal, and I don't need you to give me any advice, far from it, so keep your nose out. I asked David if this thread had anything to do with the case. As for asking politely, you want to hold your hand over your fat mouth, in many threads in this forum you're anything but polite.

Comment

Originally posted by Observer View Post
        Remember this, I'm not your pal, and I don't need you to give me any advice, far from it, so keep your nose out. I asked David if this thread had anything to do with the case. As for asking politely, you want to hold your hand over your fat mouth, in many threads in this forum you're anything but polite.
        That's because morons, especially rude ones, don't understand how to respond to politeness.

Now either get back on topic and stop hijacking this thread or vamoose you silly chuckle head.
        "Is all that we see or seem
        but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
        quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

So David, are you thinking that perhaps Evans was a sacrificial sop to keep Warren safe?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
            So David, are you thinking that perhaps Evans was a sacrificial sop to keep Warren safe?
            No, but I have considered whether the "war" between the Commissioner and the Receiver is relevant to Evans' resignation. What I'm surprised about is that no-one has asked me why this thread is in the Charles Cutbush forum, but we will get there soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
              No, but I have considered whether the "war" between the Commissioner and the Receiver is relevant to Evans' resignation. What I'm surprised about is that no-one has asked me why this thread is in the Charles Cutbush forum, but we will get there soon enough.
              Well David , I assumed after you said what the investigation was for: payments and contracts, that such would be controlled by someone very high up. Cutbush is often portrayed as being just an admin man; however he had vast power and surely contracts came under his wing too. Maybe I am wrong on that but given his role he must have been involvef?
              that was why I did not ask but said I understood why it was in section it was.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                Cutbush is often portrayed as being just an admin man; however he had vast power and surely contracts came under his wing too.
                My understanding, Steve, is that the Receiver had full control of all police contracts (and, indeed, this is what Sir Charles Warren was complaining about in the strongest possible terms during 1888). But I do see how your mind was working and well done!

Comment

My understanding, Steve, is that the Receiver had full control of all police contracts (and, indeed, this is what Sir Charles Warren was complaining about in the strongest possible terms during 1888). But I do see how your mind was working and well done!
                  David I didn't say he had control just that he was possibly involved. In my experience in the public sector I saw how someone in a position of shall we say influence was able to manipulate those in control. Or alternatively they were in a great position to see wrong doing.

Keep it going, can't wait to see where this leads.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                    David I didn't say he had control just that he was possibly involved.
                    Yes, I think the Superintendent of the Executive Branch probably had a role to play in ordering or requisitioning items so I don't want to say you are wrong here and clearly Cutbush does have some connection with this business, as we shall see.

Comment

All the following correspondence is from HO 151/4.

Letter from the Home Office to Mr Curtis Bennett dated 14 July 1888

I am directed by the Secretary of State to express to you his thanks for the very careful enquiry which you have conducted into certain charges brought against a clerk in the office of the Receiver for the Metropolitan Police District, and for the report made by you thereon.

Comment

Letter from the Home Office to Sir Charles Warren dated 14 July 1888:

I am directed by the Secretary of State to transmit herewith copy of the report of the Enquiry conducted by Mr Curtis Bennett into certain charges made against a clerk in the Office of the Receiver for the Metropolitan Police District. With reference to Mr. Bennett's observations I am to suggest that you should issue a police order prohibiting all members of the Metropolitan Police Department and Force from receiving any gratuity or present from any person whom they have reason to believe to be a Contractor to the Police or from having any pecuniary or business dealings with such persons. I am to call your attention to Mr. Bennett's remarks respecting the conduct of Superintendent Cutbush and to say that Mr. Matthews would wish you to obtain from that officer and forward to the Home Office any observations that he may think fit to offer.

Comment

Letter from the Home Office to Alfred Richard Pennefather, Receiver of the Metropolitan Police, dated 14 July 1888.

I am directed by the Secretary of State to transmit herewith copy of the report of the enquiries conducted by Mr. Curtis Bennett into the charges made against a clerk in your office; and I am to express Mr. Matthews’ satisfaction at the general tenor of this report. It is unnecessary to say that the borrowing from any Police Contractor by a member of your staff is a grave impropriety: but the practice which appears to some extent to have obtained in your Department of members dealing for private purposes with Police Contractors or receiving Christmas presents or gratuities from them is one which cannot be permitted: and the Secretary of State relies on you strictly to enforce the Rule which you have issued on the subject. I am to call your attention to the evidence given before Mr. Bennett by Mr. Cook: “I lent him (Mr. Mills Jr) £10 about last August: his accounts were incorrect he told me” and I am to call for a full explanation of what was meant by the accounts being incorrect. I am further to say that the conduct of Mr. Cook in lending money with little or no expectation of repayment to Mr. Evans and Mr. Mills, appears to the Secretary of State to disqualify him from taking any Police Contract. A separate letter will be sent you with respect to Mr. Evans.

Comment

Letter from the Home Office to Curtis Bennett dated 26 July 1888:

With reference to your recent Enquiry into certain charges against a clerk in the office of the Receiver for the Metropolitan Police District I am directed by Mr Secretary Matthews to forward herewith for any observations you may have to offer a copy of an explanation by Mr Cutbush as to the evidence given by him before you.

Comment

Mr Evans gets his pension after all...

Letter from the Home Office to the Receiver dated 31 July 1888:

With reference to former correspondence I am directed by Mr. Secretary Matthews to inform you that he has now been pleased to grant a Superannuation Allowance of £195:6:9 per annum to Mr. H.K. Evans, late Clerk in your Office, and to signify to you his authority for the payment of the same from the 30th ultimo.

Comment

Mr Evans gets his pension after all...

Letter from the Home Office to the Receiver dated 31 July 1888:

With reference to former correspondence I am directed by Mr. Secretary Matthews to inform you that he has now been pleased to grant a Superannuation Allowance of £195:6:9 per annum to Mr. H.K. Evans, late Clerk in your Office, and to signify to you his authority for the payment of the same from the 30th ultimo.
                                Looking very interesting, do you have an idea of the details of the comments by and regarding Cutbush.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X