Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unknown Police Sergeant from H Division.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
    From his pension record, George Stoner was transferred from A Division to H Division on 5 August 1882.

From the Times of 17 July 1883:

"The prisoner then tried to strike the husband, and afterwards kicked the woman several times about the head. Inspector Straw, H Division and Police-sergeant Stoner, 14H, came up and took him into custody."

From the Times of 19 December 1888:

"Sergeant Stoneham (sic), 14H, proved a previous conviction against the prisoner and Mr Saunders committed him for trial."

I think it's reasonable to assume that Sgt Stoner and Stoneham are the same person.

But how is that possible, you may ask, bearing in mind that Robert has posted information showing that Sergeant Shoesmith took the number 14H on 26 April 1887?

Well I believe the answer lies in the fact that, on 28 March 1887, Sergeant Stoner was placed on 6 weeks sick leave. He then returned to duty in H Division on 9 May 1887. When Shoesmith transferred out of H Division on 14 May, I reckon that Stoner took his old number back, retaining it until April 1890 (as per Robert's info).

Cracking stuff!!!! But so many variables, I naively thought that it would be easy to put a name to this chaps face, how wrong I was. Perhaps the buyer is a subscriber to this forum and knows something we don't which will definitely solve the puzzle as to who this chap is, once we've done that we can more on to Jack

Comment

Working...
    X