Photographs of Bury?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photographs of Bury?

Any photographs of Bury except the main one we know of, below?

Best regards,
    Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Good luck on this one.
    It was,in itself,a rare hanging in Dundee,but no photo's that i personally know of.

But he is a fascinating suspect Adam so keep an eye open !!

Comment

what about the drawing of him in Beadles new book? anyone seen it? looks alot more sinister without his beard i say - the look of a serial killer if ever ive seen one!

Comment

Here's "proof" that a photo of Bury exists.

From the Express and Star of Wednesday February 13th 1889.
        Attached Files

Comment

Photo

Hi. I appreciate this may sound awfully amateurish but i have the attached photo in my dossiers filed as 'bury ?' but cannot recall where it came from (i think from some thread on the basebook in fact ?).

Therefore I believe that it is William Bury but cannot verify its source - apologies.

I cannot say whether its from his time at Dunstall park (Wolverhampton Races)

Paul
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Paul,

If this photo came from the Casebook, I don't recall it. And if it is a photo of Bury, whoa, what a find! Let's wait til some of the experts in England wake up tomorrow and have a look at it.

Comment

Interesting stuff, but does anyone share my concern that he looks a little too "genteel" to be someone of Bury's standing? It's the bow tie that bugs me more than anything (or should that be "bromley tie" ).
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Geez, don't you guys ever sleep? You make a good point, Gareth, but I imagine (if it is he) that he was trying to look like a toff. Is SPE awake?

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                  Geez, don't you guys ever sleep?
                  I wish I could, Mo!
                  You make a good point, Gareth, but I imagine (if it is he) that he was trying to look like a toff.
                  Why not a nice Windsor-knotted tie, or cravat, in that case? That chap looks like he knows how to tie a bow - and a neat one at that. That's not a skill that comes without a great deal of practice.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Good point. I've been trying to tie a bow tie properly all my life. My wife still has to do it for me. I remember, though, once when I was having a graduation picture taken that involved a bow tie, the photographer tied it for me. Same thing here, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                      Good point. I've been trying to tie a bow tie properly all my life. My wife still has to do it for me. I remember, though, once when I was having a graduation picture taken that involved a bow tie, the photographer tied it for me. Same thing here, maybe.
                      Maybe indeed, Mo... but he still looks a bit too "refined" overall for me, and he wears it well. Perhaps not so much a sawdust merchant suddenly come into money, as a clerk from a family of modest, but comfortable means?
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Pity you can't verify the source.... looks like a possible though and I don't recall seeing the picture before anywhere.

If this is Bury... you're the man!!
                        Last edited by johns; 11-02-2009, 11:04 PM. Reason: I'm half asleep

Comment

Well, i certainly hope i am not guilty of leading us all up the garden path (and the wrong one at that !!). i'll have to dig and try to verify how this got into my files.

I have to say that i disagree with the general consensus - it has always struck me that this is exactly how i expected Bury to look after having acquired his newly found wealth - see newspaper report recording how he was 'sprucely' and 'flashily' dressed..

If we are looking at Bury here, he is obviously a) showing-off b) confident c) demonstrating sufficient ability/education to dress fittingly and carry off such a 'show' at a social gathering (distributing calling/business cards).

Does that fit with your image of Jack?

Paul
                          Attached Files

Comment

I don't really know what I expected Bury to look like in a photo, but the image isn't a million miles off the Dundee Courier sketch we all know.

And don't let looks fool anyone when it comes to murdering scumbags. Bury killed his missus at least, so we know he's a killer never mind him being Jack.... which he was...

Take a look at ...

Peter Sutcliffe... mmm seems like a nice boy.
                            Ted Bundy... Mr Handsome
                            John Wayne Gacy... Looked ordinary enough for him to be a clown at kiddy parties.
                            And so on...

Comment

Originally posted by johns View Post
                              I don't really know what I expected Bury to look like in a photo, but the image isn't a million miles off the Dundee Courier sketch we all know.

And don't let looks fool anyone when it comes to murdering scumbags. Bury killed his missus at least, so we know he's a killer never mind him being Jack.... which he was...

Take a look at ...

Peter Sutcliffe... mmm seems like a nice boy.
                              Not so sure about that one, John.
                              Ted Bundy... Mr Handsome
                              John Wayne Gacy... Looked ordinary enough for him to be a clown at kiddy parties.
                              ... both middle-class.

Anyway, forget serial killers for one moment - they're just "people" after all - but does anyone know of non-murdering scumbags who could carry off a look like that, unless they were born into it?
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Working...
                              X