Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Mary Jane Kelly: ORIGINAL doors in Miller's court - by richardh 53 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: ORIGINAL doors in Miller's court - by Wickerman 55 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: ORIGINAL doors in Miller's court - by jerryd 2 hours ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: Letter dated 14th October 1896. - by Joshua Rogan 4 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - by sdreid 4 hours ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: Letter dated 14th October 1896. - by Abby Normal 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (20 posts)
Goulston Street Graffito: Letter dated 14th October 1896. - (7 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: ORIGINAL doors in Miller's court - (5 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - (1 posts)
General Police Discussion: PC Richard Pearce and the candle in the window...... - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Police Officials and Procedures > General Police Discussion

Old 09-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardnunweek View Post
Hi Curious,
We have a specific number of mourners 8.
Six women who apparently was was made up of inquest witnesses, and two men, one of them being Barnett.
If we take the women as
Mrs Cox.
Maria Harvey
Lizzie Prater.
Mrs Lewis
Caroline Maxwell?
Mrs McCarthy[ representing the landlord]
We then have to identify the other male.
We have a sketch which depicts the 6 females , and the two males at the grave site, so that is confirmed .
So we can speculate who the other male is.
Dan Barnett[ Joseph's brother] or John
Joe Fleming
George Hutchinson
A male relative[ brother]
The most likely would be Dan or John Barnett, as supporters for Joseph.
Regards Richard.

Hi, Richard,
Thanks for the reminder of just the 8. I was speaking more generally about newspaper stories when I should have stuck more closely to the discussion at hand.

I suppose some of her family could have been in the mob and no one would have known the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
If the reporter couldn't get to talk to them then they had nothing to report. Figures on a landscape, just faces in a crowd, among hundreds at the funeral. And besides, the cemetery gates were guarded, if I recall correctly.
The press wouldn't have even known if any family members were present.

It isn't just a case of a reporter writing something, the story must be accepted by the editor, if he doesn't think it worthy it does not get printed.

Regards, Jon S.
Hi, Jon,
Actually, the difference may be small town, where I live and where we know and have access to all the officials, and large town, where I'm guessing the reporters might have to scramble to get a quote or a word from an official.

However, I disagree with your take: "It isn't just a case of a reporter writing something, the story must be accepted by the editor, if he doesn't think it worthy it does not get printed."

In a story this big that would sell enormous numbers of papers, the editor would be coming up with any angle he could think of and sending reporters out to get the story -- or multiple stories. In that day before telephones, the reporters had to physically chase the stories down.

And it is a story when someone declines to comment, or when the family has requested privacy. Not nearly as good a story as would be produced by talking to someone, but could still find space to let the readers know the paper had thought of that angle and tried.

In my world, enterprising reporters would be camped out at the police station, down on Dorset Street, or buying cops drinks to try to get a nugget or two of information.

Anyway, I feel sure there is a very big difference when you're the only game in town -- as my little paper is -- and when you're competing with a dozen or so other papers in a city the size of London.

But IF there was any member of MJK's family in town, I'm surprised some reporter did not ferret it out.

curious
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:20 PM
Commisioner

Default editor

Hello Jerry. Thanks. Well put.

Do we know whom the editor was?

Cheers.
LC
Old 09-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Regarding Marys possible Welsh background,.....I dont believe that Wales was in the process of planning and executing disturbances in London to draw attention to their desire to be self governing, so the RIC attending that site may well be indicative that they knew something about Mary that we have been unable to prove..that she was indeed Irish.

Cheers.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:53 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious View Post
However, I disagree with your take: "It isn't just a case of a reporter writing something, the story must be accepted by the editor, if he doesn't think it worthy it does not get printed."

In a story this big that would sell enormous numbers of papers, the editor would be coming up with any angle he could think of and sending reporters out to get the story -- or multiple stories.
But what story?
First of all, no-one announced any members of the family were expected. No-one knew what they would look like if anyone turned up. Among throngs of people how does any reporter assume this or that strange face (among hundreds of strange faces) might be relatives of the deceased?

There is no story to cover, and the proof lies in the pudding, which is why we have no reports of any family in attendance.

Regards, Jon S.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:22 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by packers stem View Post
Hi all
I recall reading in an edition of Ripperana about 97/98 a report mentioning officers of the RIC being present in the aftermath at Millers Court.
Can anyone else shed any more light on this?
I'm not sure now whether it was written by Nick Warren or another contributor but interesting none the less.

During the Fenian dynamite war 1881-1885 50 RIC officers where loaned to the Metropolitan Police by Dublin Castle. With several other RIC officers operating elsewhere in the UK. Given Kelly's possible Irish heritage it is not unlikely that some sort of covert operation was being conducted by Special Branch encompassing RIC officers?