A Intresting find?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Debra A View Post

Thanks Jurriaan, I do remember the summary that was posted. I was under the impression that there was no other information available so it would be great if something turned up due to your request.
    I think Joseph Fleming aka James Evans was admitted for a leg injury once, pre 1888? But also there was a Joseph Fleming b c 1859 was admitted to the Infirmary in 1908 with an injured leg, and was sent on to Banstead asylum.
    Alright, thanx Debs.
    I think I should change 'little hope' into 'no hope' regarding the case notes-request by the way. I was scanning through some older Fleming-related threads on Casebook and discovered Ben (Holme?) had also requested such materials more than a decade ago and received the following reply from Redbridge Central Library:

"I am sorry to tell you that we have no record of Mr Joseph Fleming, alias James Evans. Although we do hold such records as have survived, these are very few and random, and do not include the ones of interest to you."

After Ben came up empty, Chris Scott however did receive the one-line summary already mentioned, but that appears to be all there is. So unless something new has been unearthed in the Redbridge archives after Chris and Ben put in their requests, I'm afraid these Claybury case notes on Fleming/Evans may turn out to be lost forever. In another thread on Fleming, Scott mentioned he consulted directly with a Redbridge archivist who apparantly told him that asylum records are subject to a 100 year disclosure rule, so that's what got my hopes up initially.

Comment

Originally posted by Jurriaan Maessen View Post

Alright, thanx Debs.
      I think I should change 'little hope' into 'no hope' regarding the case notes-request by the way. I was scanning through some older Fleming-related threads on Casebook and discovered Ben (Holme?) had also requested such materials more than a decade ago and received the following reply from Redbridge Central Library:

"I am sorry to tell you that we have no record of Mr Joseph Fleming, alias James Evans. Although we do hold such records as have survived, these are very few and random, and do not include the ones of interest to you."

After Ben came up empty, Chris Scott however did receive the one-line summary already mentioned, but that appears to be all there is. So unless something new has been unearthed in the Redbridge archives after Chris and Ben put in their requests, I'm afraid these Claybury case notes on Fleming/Evans may turn out to be lost forever. In another thread on Fleming, Scott mentioned he consulted directly with a Redbridge archivist who apparantly told him that asylum records are subject to a 100 year disclosure rule, so that's what got my hopes up initially.
      I wouldn’t give up hope just yet, Jurriaan.

When I enquired about another inmate in 2019 they explained their delay in responding by saying they had “been waiting for the transfer of several historical volumes from Goodmayes Hospital, which included some Claybury material.”

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

I wouldn’t give up hope just yet, Jurriaan.

When I enquired about another inmate in 2019 they explained their delay in responding by saying they had “been waiting for the transfer of several historical volumes from Goodmayes Hospital, which included some Claybury material.”

Just received a response from the Redbridge collection officer to my request for any Claybury Asylum records. Unfortunately, the records appear not to have survived. There should be a law against the destruction of documents.

Here's the response I received:

"Dear Mr Maessen,

Thank you for your enquiry, and please accept my apologies for the delay in replying to your email. We have been operating under reduced opening hours with our staff part furloughed until last week, so it’s taking longer to respond to enquiries.
        As far as I am aware, the majority of Claybury records were destroyed when the hospital was closed. We hold a small collection, and there are others at the London Metropolitan Archives, however I believe these only cover admissions between 1915-1928.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...?id=32&page=13

We did receive a small number of Goodmayes Asylum records from the North East London Foundation Trust in early 2019, amongst which was a single Claybury Admission Register, but this was for female patients only.
        I was successful if finding records for a James Evans in two of our Claybury volumes:
        Male Admission Register (covering admissions from May 1893 - December 1898)
        List of Male Patients (covering patients admitted between 1893 and 1907)

Please note that list of male patients simply repeats the information in the admission register. Whilst we do have some male case notes for 1895, the case note books only covers male patients admitted up to mid-January 1895.
        I can provide you with a typed transcript of the records for James Evans (for a fee of £10), however I note the details of Mr James Evans’ admission have already been published on the following forum:

https://forum.casebook.org/forum/rip...laybury-asylum

Kind regards,

Collections Officer

Redbridge Museum & Heritage Centre

Redbridge Central Library, Clements Road, Ilford, Essex IG1 1EA

Comment

Just received a response from the Redbridge collection officer to my request for any Claybury Asylum records. Unfortunately, the records appear not to have survived. There should be a law against the destruction of documents.

Here's the response I received:

"Dear Mr Maessen,

Thank you for your enquiry, and please accept my apologies for the delay in replying to your email. We have been operating under reduced opening hours with our staff part furloughed until last week, so it’s taking longer to respond to enquiries.
          As far as I am aware, the majority of Claybury records were destroyed when the hospital was closed. We hold a small collection, and there are others at the London Metropolitan Archives, however I believe these only cover admissions between 1915-1928.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...?id=32&page=13

We did receive a small number of Goodmayes Asylum records from the North East London Foundation Trust in early 2019, amongst which was a single Claybury Admission Register, but this was for female patients only.
          I was successful if finding records for a James Evans in two of our Claybury volumes:
          Male Admission Register (covering admissions from May 1893 - December 1898)
          List of Male Patients (covering patients admitted between 1893 and 1907)

Please note that list of male patients simply repeats the information in the admission register. Whilst we do have some male case notes for 1895, the case note books only covers male patients admitted up to mid-January 1895.
          I can provide you with a typed transcript of the records for James Evans (for a fee of £10), however I note the details of Mr James Evans’ admission have already been published on the following forum:

https://forum.casebook.org/forum/rip...laybury-asylum

Kind regards,

Collections Officer

Redbridge Museum & Heritage Centre

Redbridge Central Library, Clements Road, Ilford, Essex IG1 1EA
          That’s a pity. It was worth trying, though.

It’s quite encouraging to hear they received new material as late as 2019. There may still relevant stuff out there.

Last edited by MrBarnett; 10-08-2021, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Great archiving requires lots of shredders.

But thanks for trying, eventually more material will be uncovered

Comment

Working...
            X