Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - by Joshua Rogan 16 minutes ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by gallicrow 35 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - by Sam Flynn 51 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - by Sam Flynn 1 hour and 20 minutes ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by NickB 1 hour and 22 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - by Sam Flynn 1 hour and 23 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - (29 posts)
Witnesses: Mizen's inquest statement reconstructed - (11 posts)
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - (10 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (6 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Mary Kellys Inquest - (2 posts)
Letters and Communications: I'm not a butcher, I'm not a Yid...... - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > "The Royal Conspiracy"

Old 03-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Inspector

Default How far they could have gone?!

Hello you all!

I think, that the "Royal conspirary" is a kind romanticising nonsense.

Though, Eddie was gay. One of the weaknesses is, that he was on a trip in Scotland at the time of at least one murder.

It would have been too expensive even for The Royal Family to bribe hundreds of people, I think.

Or would they have done anything to hide, if he had been involved in the case somehow?!

All the best
Jukka
Old 03-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Chief Inspector

Hi Jukka,

I think stories about a Royal being JTR are highly fanciful. Most of the evidence points to Prince Eddie being hundreds of miles away when most of the murders were committed.

As for the idea that Gull and others cooked up the murders to cover up an illegal Royal marriage and baby - well how did that happen? How did a minister of the church manage to marry a leading Royal without being aware of it? And if, as you say, Eddie was gay - why would he fall in love and marry a woman? More to the point, why did the conspiritors choose such an extreme method of killing the ladies involved? Gull could have disposed of them more efficiently than spreading them across the pavements of London. They could then have been neatly dissected by his medical students at Guys.
Alternatively, they could have been weighted down and drowned in the Thames.

No, I don't favour a Royal JTR or a Royal conspiracy at all.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Assistant Commissioner

How the hell could a common street-walker 'blackmail the British Government' anyway? What would she do - knock on the door of No 10 Downing Street and ask for whoever is responsible for interviewing potential blackmailers?

The biggest mystery is how Stephen Knight was ever taken in by this nonsense in the first place. Joseph Sickert changed his story about as often as Mike Barrett.

But on the other hand, I thought Knight's book was a damn good read, to be honest! You just didn't have to believe what he was saying!

Cheers,

Graham
Old 03-31-2008, 12:49 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
How the hell could a common street-walker 'blackmail the British Government' anyway?
Prince Albert Victor was apparently blackmailed by two (female) prostitutes in 1891 - for which he stumped up a few hundred quid in "hush money", in return for some letters he'd written. Perhaps that was the original grit in the Royal Conspiracy oyster?

Story here.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 03-31-2008, 01:05 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Prince Albert Victor was apparently blackmailed by two (female) prostitutes in 1891 - for which he stumped up a few hundred quid in "hush money", in return for some letters he'd written. Perhaps that was the original grit in the Royal Conspiracy oyster?

Story here.
Blimey, if it's that easy to make £12K, I think I'll have a bash meself!

Cheers,

Graham
Old 03-31-2008, 07:55 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limehouse View Post
More to the point, why did the conspiritors choose such an extreme method of killing the ladies involved? Gull could have disposed of them more efficiently than spreading them across the pavements of London. They could then have been neatly dissected by his medical students at Guys.
Alternatively, they could have been weighted down and drowned in the Thames.
I suppose the thinking is that the Royal Family ok'ed the killings but Gull was, in fact, deranged. Which is why they eventually had him silenced.

Not that I believe it.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:10 PM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
The biggest mystery is how Stephen Knight was ever taken in by this nonsense in the first place. Joseph Sickert changed his story about as often as Mike Barrett.
Hmmmmm. Well better men than Knight are still regularly taken in by Mike Barrett's nonsense about having written a certain diary.

"Go figure" (as I think the appropriate expression would be - there isn't a translation our side of the pond that quite hits the spot ).

Love,

Caz
X

Old 03-31-2008, 08:21 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post

Story here.
An interesting story Sam, which only goes to show that the Royal Conspiracy is bunkham because if true, then surely these two ladies would have ended up being JRTs victims number 6 and 7 (or twelve and thirteen, depending on which score yoy believe).
Old 05-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Detective

Playing devil's advocate for a theory I absolutely have no belief in, the idea is the prostitutes who were blackmailing Eddy with compromising letters were not posing a threat to the throne, because nothing they had would call into question Eddy's right to rule, but fathering a child with a commoner, and a Catholic to boot, would negate Eddy's legitimacy to the throne. And some feared it would be the end of the monarchy itself, since this was a time ripe for revolution. At least those in power were afraid it was. I do find this unlikely, since England already went through a revolution led by Oliver Cromwell, and it didn't seem to go so well. After two years of Cromwell's son trying to lead the country they restored the monarchy, and it's been there ever since. But it's the threat against the monarchy that separates the letter blackmailing prostitutes from the baby blackmailing prostitutes. Hope that helps.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:54 PM
Superintendent

Hi all-
Well to be honest I reckon that Mr Knight was responsible for a lot of us who had an earlier interest in JTR thinking.....Uh Oh ....this is interesting....Quirky and more than likely a little lacking in reality though it was!...Then of course Mr Fairclough came cantering up behind with 'The Ripper and the Royals' and we all thought Ooooh yes...mad Royals closeted away that could be a point....

Then we took a deep breath and more water with it and read 'proper' books...The A-Z,Fido,Sugden,Begg et al and took up the back seats to sneak a giggle at the very thing that may have got us going in the first place!

Joseph Sickert and all of that semi truth is probably just that- but it did tweak our curiosity I reckon......Unlike Patsy who just IMHO discredited a superb artist (Odd he may have been ....but not THAT odd!)

And-------- then there's the Barrett nastiness....but I'm NOT going there!!!

Suzi x

Last edited by Suzi : 05-21-2008 at 11:56 PM.