Ripperologist 105: August 09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripperologist 105: August 09

For those of you who havent read it, I suggest you do.

John Bennetts The Rookery is one of the best articles this magazine has seen.

And thats quite a feat considering the quality that has been published these last 10 or so years.

Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Originally posted by Monty View Post
    John Bennetts The Rookery is one of the best articles this magazine has seen.
    I wholeheartedly agree, Monty, it is a superb article. Well done, John.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I just read Bennett's piece yesterday and loved it. I find it almost unfathomable that so many lodging houses could fit in such a small space. Imagine the stench just walking down the street. I don't know if I'm as enthusiastic about the subject as Monty and Sam (both of whom I personally think are responsible for a good deal of Rip's best stuff to date!), but I think anyone with a serious interest in the case should become familiar with the East End environs, and Lord knows the doss houses play a big part in Ripper lore.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. John Bennett's a hippie. Whodathunkit!

Comment

I wholeheartedly agree... terrific job, John!

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

I havent read the article so I dont know the context of his piece, but lodging houses were only the formal slums.....private homes, or non designated "Lodging" houses also rented rooms to multiple tenants,...... look at Hanbury....was that classed as a lodging house? Im asking, not telling.

I think the likelihood is the man came from that kind of environment, like in the Lodger movie from the 20's, a private home but renting rooms and run like a flop house.

Best regards all.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
            I just read Bennett's piece yesterday and loved it. I find it almost unfathomable that so many lodging houses could fit in such a small space. Imagine the stench just walking down the street. I don't know if I'm as enthusiastic about the subject as Monty and Sam (both of whom I personally think are responsible for a good deal of Rip's best stuff to date!), but I think anyone with a serious interest in the case should become familiar with the East End environs, and Lord knows the doss houses play a big part in Ripper lore.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

What can I say Tom, Im a dosser.

Think your post puts it across well. Gives an understanding to the period.

Monty
            Monty

Comment

Thanks for the positive comments, folks.

Tom - that picture was taken in 1988. Trust me, there isn't so much hair about these days!

Comment

Got to wait till am back at work and can illicitly print it off and bind it (My one and ONLY work perk!)..Just KNOW it's going to be GREAT!!!

Suz x
                'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Originally posted by perrymason View Post
                  I havent read the article so I dont know the context of his piece, but lodging houses were only the formal slums.....private homes, or non designated "Lodging" houses also rented rooms to multiple tenants,...... look at Hanbury....was that classed as a lodging house? Im asking, not telling.

I think the likelihood is the man came from that kind of environment, like in the Lodger movie from the 20's, a private home but renting rooms and run like a flop house.

Best regards all.
                  Michael,

This issue may interest you as it questions the integrity of one of the City PCs. Something we discussed some months back.

Monty
                  Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                    Michael,

This issue may interest you as it questions the integrity of one of the City PCs. Something we discussed some months back.

Monty
                    I recall the exchange well Monty, I just didnt know this was the piece that was to come. I will make the efforts to get this and give it a read.

All the best to you Monty

Comment

Hi all,

John's and Neil's article are both great, but I'd also draw everyone's attention to "Tthe Clerical Sphinx" by Jonathan Hainsworth in the same issue. He makes the provocative suggestion that Montague John Druitt actually confessed to being the Ripper before committing suicide.

Don.
                      "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Thanks for the kind comments folks. . . .

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post

Ripperologist Bruce Paley as well, in the day. . . .

Chris
                        Christopher T. George
                        Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                        just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                        For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                        RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

I concur. I've subscribed to Rip for quite some time and, occasionally, I admit shame-facedly, have skipped an article or two. But this time I read every word. It is an excellent issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Supe View Post
                            Hi all,

John's and Neil's article are both great...
                            Im sure fatigue has kicked in Don as you missed Rob Clack in your roll call. He is far more important than I.

Monty
                            Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Supe View Post
                              Hi all,

John's and Neil's article are both great, but I'd also draw everyone's attention to "Tthe Clerical Sphinx" by Jonathan Hainsworth in the same issue. He makes the provocative suggestion that Montague John Druitt actually confessed to being the Ripper before committing suicide.

Don.
                              Yes, Jonathan's article is interesting and food for considerable thought. I should point out that this story first appeared in a major London daily, The Daily Mail. Unfortunately, we do not have the text of that original article. The tantalizing bit to me is the possibility that Montie's cousin, Rev. Charles Druitt, could be the informant. Unfortunately, Charles was never a "North Country Vicar," however. In 1899, Charles was serving a parish called Whitechurch Canonicorum in southern Dorset. Rather striking in light of the apparent faux pas of the Northern vicar's tome: "The Whitechurch Murders: Solution to a London Mystery" (not "Whitechapel"!!!).

The whole story may have been a press fabrication. Or there may have really been such a vicar up north, and if so, his tale may be fact, fiction, or a mixture of each. It appears in the same month that another East End attack (a woman named Wood) put the "Ripper" back in the press briefly, Vacher was executed, and the Vienna Ripper was active. This brief resurgence of hype may have spawned a tale. However, the "suspect" in the tale seems to be rather consistent with Montague Druitt and preserves certain traces of both Macnaghten and Farquharson.

I have done some checking into what letters and papers of Charles Druitt are preserved in the archives at Chichester and I find nothing relating to this matter or the Ripper in general.

An interesting speculation, and it is just that, is that Montie confessed to his former law chum and neighbor both in Blackheath and London, John Henry Lonsdale, who in 1888 was curate at the Druitt home parish of Wimborne Minster. We do have evidence that Lonsdale and Charles Druitt were well acquainted. The details of the confession could have been communicated to Charles in confidence with the understanding that he would say nothing for 10 years. Yet the issues with this scenario are twofold:

1. Charles was not a North Country vicar.
                              2. Why would Charles want to reveal that he knew the Ripper's identity given that it was a family member?

It is tantalizing. I tend to lean toward the whole thing being fiction but we should not discount it outright.

PS -- I hasten to add that the photo designated as the stretch of the Thames where Druitt's body surfaced is not. There is no bridge in the immediate vicinity of Thornycroft's Wharf. Numerous photos of the actual site are posted on the casebook in the Druitt section.
                              Last edited by aspallek; 08-06-2009, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X