Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medals to Officers involved in the Whitechapel Murders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medals to Officers involved in the Whitechapel Murders?

Ladies/Gents,

Does anyone know whether any medals are known to exist in museums or private collections, to any Officers involved in the Whitechapel Murders?

Yes. Although it should be clarified that they received medals for service to the police and to the Queen rather than for their involvement in the hunt for the Whitechapel murderer. A number of policemen involved in the case received medals to honor their service at the time of Queen Victoria's jubilees in 1887 and 1897.

Best regards

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Although there is no shortage of Jubilee medals on the open market, including examples to H,J & City Police. I'm curious to know if any examples named to men actually involved in some way to the case exist, perhaps in the various police museums or private collections.

Comment

I don't know about private collections but an email to one or two of the museums might turn up some information.

Comment

Medals to Sgt. Edward Badham

Comment

Medal to PC881 Edward Watkins City Police

Hello, Police Constable 881 Edward Watkins served in the City of London Police from 15/5/1871 to 28/5/1896. Police Constable 881 Edward Watkins...…. his most famous moment was in the early hours of the 30th of September in 1888 when he discovered the body of Catherine Eddowes in Mitre Square [Jac...

Comment

There is a slight issue with PC Watkins medal.

The bar (97) doesn’t match his retirement date.

Monty
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                There is a slight issue with PC Watkins medal.

The bar (97) doesn’t match his retirement date.

Monty

Certainly a very curious point. I can only assume that he came back briefly for the 97 Jubilee?

I hope we haven't got another Eddowes shrawl here!! Or dare I say it those, dubious handcuffs and other bits and bobs purporting to have belonged to Watkin's that appeared up for auction a few years back?

I do hope it's genuine, really I do!! It's an item that gives us a physical connection to the case.

I see no reason why it wouldn't be (clasp aside), the thing that's niggling at me is, where has it been for the last 130 odd years and why isn't it documented or at least known to Ripperology or medal collecting circles?

It's something tangible that actually belonged to someone involved in the case, that can be proved beyond reasonable doubt, to me that is mind blowing!!

But having said that the Badham medals are just as significant in my opinion but haven't drawn the same attention either, so maybe it is just is me....................?
                Last edited by The Station Cat; 10-08-2018, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Insp. J Helson

On the 24th of October in 1887, Detective Sergeant Joseph Henry Helson was promoted to Inspector and transferred to Bethnal Green or 'J' division. Detective Inspector Joseph Helson was in charge of the Bethnal Green C.I.D.

At 06.45am on the 31st of August in 1888 Detective Inspector Joseph Helson was notified of Mary Ann 'Polly' Nichols murder, examined her body at the old mortuary, in Old Montague Street and then examined the murder site. Detective Inspector Joseph Helson subsequently took charge of the murder investigation. He attended the inquests and liaised closely with Detective Inspector Abberline especially on the murder of Annie Chapman.

Detective Inspector Joseph Helson also had a good team of detectives in Bethnal Green and Detective Sergeant George Godley particularly stood out. This is a relevant point later in this story. There is so much information of Detective Inspector Joseph Helson that it would take too long to list it all so lets cut to the chase.

On the 14th of January in 1895, Detective Inspector Joseph Helson retires on pension from Bethnal Green division and the Metropolitan Police. Joseph Helson was 49 years old and had completed 26 years and 10 days in the Metropolitan Police. Joseph Henry Helson and family return to his place of birth and retired in Devon.

Joseph Helson was recalled to duty with the Metropolitan Police on the 20th of June in 1902 for the Coronation Parade through London. Inspector Joseph Helson was assigned to Southwark or 'M' division and given the temporary warrant number of 1869.

Now somebody will say why did he not serve with Bethnal Green or 'J' division instead of Southwark or 'M' division in 1902. Well there are three reason for this deployment.

Firstly, there was an Inspector's vacancy at Southwark or 'M' division.

Secondly, Joseph Helson's son Albert Henry Helson was a young detective serving in Southwark or 'M' division at the time.

And last but not least, his old colleague and friend Detective Sergeant George Godley, was now Detective Inspector George Godley in charge of the Southwark C.I.D.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X