Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supreme Court to Hear Case of Bakery That Refused to Bake Cake for Same Sex Marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

. Many who are cite the Old Testament, about "a man should not lie with another man as with a woman", if I remember it right.
    Sadly though the Old Testament also says that if a woman doesnt scream loudly enough while shes being raped she should be stoned to death as an accessory to her own defilement. The OT is not the best guide to morality im afraid and of course youd be hard pressed to find a Christian who believed this horrible nonsense today.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

I’m Christian, Episcopalian, but of the main branch, not conservative.
      Our pastor is a woman, our former pastor was gay, we have several openly gay couples, all of which are dear friends of mine.

I guess legally it’s a tough call, but ethically it’s wrong. The owner might not legally have to serve them, but he’s a doosh, and needs to get out of the Middle Ages.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
        Sadly though the Old Testament also says that if a woman doesnt scream loudly enough while shes being raped she should be stoned to death as an accessory to her own defilement. The OT is not the best guide to morality im afraid and of course youd be hard pressed to find a Christian who believed this horrible nonsense today.
        Agree. Which is why the NT is more dear to my heart.

Comment

Speculating here, but I wonder how that rule evolved? Perhaps husbands finding their wives with other men were told by their wives that they were being raped, despite the absence of screams. Since a woman having an affair was not going to scream 'rape' and spoil everything, maybe the rule was introduced to stop cuckolded husbands being deceived.

Comment

Just my opinion but no one should be forced into commerce that is against their beliefs, moral, religious, whatever.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Is a same sex wedding cake made with puff pastry ?
              Last edited by Jon Guy; 06-08-2018, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                I’m Christian, Episcopalian, but of the main branch, not conservative.
                Our pastor is a woman, our former pastor was gay, we have several openly gay couples, all of which are dear friends of mine.

I guess legally it’s a tough call, but ethically it’s wrong. The owner might not legally have to serve them, but he’s a doosh, and needs to get out of the Middle Ages.
                Well said, Abby.

Love,

Caz
                X
                "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                  Speculating here, but I wonder how that rule evolved? Perhaps husbands finding their wives with other men were told by their wives that they were being raped, despite the absence of screams. Since a woman having an affair was not going to scream 'rape' and spoil everything, maybe the rule was introduced to stop cuckolded husbands being deceived.
                  I expect so, Robert. Always the woman's fault. Circumcise the lot of 'em, then they wouldn't stray in the first place. The rule makers must have been exceptionally vile creatures back then, to think like that, mustn't they? How unutterably depressing.

Good weekend all.

Love,

Caz
                  X

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post

Depends on who's doing the baking, Jon. Arsenic if it's someone who hates puffs.

When my daughter was much younger than she is today, she came with us to a Gay Pride do in a south London park, where we met up with her uncle and his partner. I cautioned her not to use words like "poof" in case of causing offence and she was fascinated by all the sights. Then along came two young men wearing T-shirts with the logos: "I'm a poof" and "So am I". So much for my good intentions.

Love,

Caz
                    X

Comment

• Suttee was another nasty one, now mercifully in the past. After all, you don't hear of Suttee and Cher, do you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
                        Or the lesbian equivalent, sensible choux.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
                          Well said, Abby.

Love,

Caz
                          X
                          What I was gonna say. Except I wasn't gonna sign it "Caz".
                          - Ginger

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                            Suttee was another nasty one, now mercifully in the past. After all, you don't hear of Suttee and Cher, do you?
                            Oddly enough, a friend recently traveled to India (Bangalore, where they make the torpedoes), on business. The person who gave him his pre-trip orientation seemed to believe that suttee was still practiced. He and I both have our doubts.
                            - Ginger

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                              Then according to that, after the Reich Citizenship Law which stripped Jews of their citizenship, Germany could have claimed to be a democracy?
                              Well, Germany ceased to be a democracy after the Enabling Act of 1933. But yes to the intent of your question. The status of non-citizens is irrelevant.

You might ponder the curious phrasing of the 14th amendment, regarding proper jurisdiction. The Johnson administration was eager to give citizenship (and suffrage) to the former slaves, who could be reasonably expected to vote Republican. Regarding the Plains Indians, against whom we were making an on-again, off-again effort at extermination, there wasn't quite that same level of enthusiasm for giving them the vote.

Was the United States then a democracy?
                              Last edited by Ginger; 06-08-2018, 10:05 AM. Reason: Awkward phrasing
                              - Ginger

Comment

• Originally posted by Ginger View Post
                                Bangalore, where they make the torpedoes
                                Do they also make firecrackers there? They really should.
                                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Working...
                                X