Caledonia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caledonia

As we approach New Year, I thought that I would share this beautiful song.

As a proud Scot, it moves me to my core.

Happy New Year!

caledonia, tribute, cut, prores, 422, YOUTUBE, 720p

Nice one. I was expecting Auld lang syne, but was pleasantly surprised
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
      Nice one. I was expecting Auld lang syne, but was pleasantly surprised
      Glad you like it Sam.

Cheers!

Comment

Thank you. It was lovely. And I have liked McLean's singing and songs since his "American Pie" and "Vincent" (one of my favorites) came out in the 1970s.

My favorite Scottish patriot tune (of recent times) was "There Was a Soldier".

Jeff

Comment

I'm no Arab...but Leo Sayer's cover of Michael Marra's "Hamish the Goalie" always stirs the blood.

A very rough copy, but here's me singing Michael Marra's "Hamish". The song is about Hamish McAlpine, the inspiring goalkeeper for Michael's beloved Dundee United during their peak years in the Scotti
          My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

This one will do me

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
              Thank you. It was lovely. And I have liked McLean's singing and songs since his "American Pie" and "Vincent" (one of my favorites) came out in the 1970s.

My favorite Scottish patriot tune (of recent times) was "There Was a Soldier".

Jeff
              Wrong MacLean, Jeff! 'Caledonia' is by a genuine Scot called Dougie MacLean
              and is a standard at just about every folk-club in the UK! It really a great song, though.

And you know what Dr Johnson said about 'patriotism'.....

Graham
              We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                  Wrong MacLean, Jeff! 'Caledonia' is by a genuine Scot called Dougie MacLean
                  and is a standard at just about every folk-club in the UK! It really a great song, though.

And you know what Dr Johnson said about 'patriotism'.....

Graham
                  I may have a bad eye and a tin ear then, Graham, he looked like the same man. But it was a pretty song.

"The last refuge of a scoundrel." Yes I heard Dr. Johnson's definition and epigram. It was trounced a little by Ambrose Bierce (calling Johnson a distinguished but inferior lexicographer), and saying that it actually is the first refuge. Witness the buffoon entering the White House and his choices for cabinet and similar posts. Bierce and Johnson are correct.

Jeff

Comment

Good news for the Scots : SIR Andy Murray.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                      I may have a bad eye and a tin ear then, Graham, he looked like the same man. But it was a pretty song.

"The last refuge of a scoundrel." Yes I heard Dr. Johnson's definition and epigram. It was trounced a little by Ambrose Bierce (calling Johnson a distinguished but inferior lexicographer), and saying that it actually is the first refuge. Witness the buffoon entering the White House and his choices for cabinet and similar posts. Bierce and Johnson are correct.

Jeff
                      Easy mistake-a to make-a!

Johnson didn't mean to be complimentary either to 'scoundrels' or to 'patriotism'. And in fairness to Johnson, who I always admired, I think his name is remembered somewhat more than Ambrose Bierce's.

Graham
                      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by DirectorDave View Post
                        I'm no Arab...but Leo Sayer's cover of Michael Marra's "Hamish the Goalie" always stirs the blood.

https://soundcloud.com/leo-sayer/ham...lie-by-michael
                        DirectorDave,
                        Thanks for this, it's a real curio.

Michael Marra is one of my heroes, his album "Posted Sober" is a thing of beauty.

Michael Marra is Scotland's best kept secret.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                          Easy mistake-a to make-a!

Johnson didn't mean to be complimentary either to 'scoundrels' or to 'patriotism'. And in fairness to Johnson, who I always admired, I think his name is remembered somewhat more than Ambrose Bierce's.

Graham
                          Recognize that (Johnson also made that cutting remark about "oats", horses, and Scots). The good Doctor must have been a fascinating man, but a bit strong regarding his viewpoints. He made a really interesting comment on the American "revolt" of the 1770s, and how fascinating it was that so many men wanted more liberty but kept slaves. Good point.

You are right, Johnson is better remembered than Bierce (despite the latter's mysterious end in Mexico). However, in Bierce's own mind - well that was an entirely different matter.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                          X