Fake News Ads on Facebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake News Ads on Facebook

First a message from a friend of mine on another forum, followed by my response.

My friend wrote:

Just using fb and a pop up message box appeared saying Sean Connery has died! I clicked the box to read this news. Next thing all hell broke loose a hacker had locked my computer, explaining the usual if you ring this Microsoft support number they will deal with the problem. Then it followed if you dont respond within 5 mins everything goes , passwords, photos, bank details the lot. Tried to exit nothing happened message was locked on so just unplugged the computer, then restarted same message was continuing to warn me. Fearing the worst tried my ipad things were OK, so after 10 mins I restarted my computer so far so good, did a crap clean then a recovery. Had a sweat on I can tell you, obviously if you contacted the free phone number they were posting, it would have been doomsville.

~ Apollo, Nov 13, 2016

I responded --

I have seen a lot of such "fake news" ads on Facebook alleging that such a such a celebrity has died and how the world is shocked and saddened. Can't Facebook ban or at least stop these scammers??? They appear to be paid advertisements, so FB must surely be making money from them. Can't they stop that practice of accepting money from the people who are mounting such malicious attacks on the unwary? FB is an enabler if so. Not good enough.

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 12-29-2016, 11:52 AM.
    Christopher T. George
    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

FB is no longer an enabler by accepting money from the extortionist-swindlers. It becomes an accomplice. So the money it is paid out should be the beginning for a prosecution of the people who run and own that website - and it should be closed down (despite it's popularity) as a warning to other websites who try to be "accommodating".

Jeff

Comment

Working...
    X