Probably not him, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably not him, but...

I actually feel a bit silly posting this. I'm sure someone has noticed this before and discredited it, but I did a search and could only find a reference to one ship with the name and it wasn't related to Kłosowski, so I'll cautiously post it here.

I found a George Chapman on line 843 of the Majestic's passenger list arriving in New York on 8 May 1890. It's a long shot because most ship passengers are not documented in that time frame. However two George Chapman's came up. One arrived in November of 1890 and then there was this one. There was a J. G. Chapman also that arrived by way of Canada in March.

I'm attaching a picture here, which I am allowed to share so long as I provide the source (which is further below), but it doesn't show the columns. I'll give that now.

Line|Name|Arrival Date|Birth Date|Age|Gender|Port of Departure|Destination|Place of Origin|Ethnicity/Nationality|Ship Name|Port of Arrival|List Number| Birth Location

If you have a subscription, it can be found here (at Ancestry.com).

There are several reasons to believe this is not him:
    1. He gives his date of birth as a year later.
    2. He says he's an American.
    3. He came by way of Liverpool, instead of Whitson.

Still, I thought I'd share it if anyone is interested. Now I shall return to my lurking status.

Source Citation:
    Year: 1890; Arrival: New York, New York; Microfilm Serial: M237, 1820-1897; Microfilm Roll: Roll 547; Line: 13; List Number: 622

Source Information:
    Ancestry.com. New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010.

Original data:
    Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 1820-1897. Microfilm Publication M237, 675 rolls. NAI: 6256867. Records of the U.S. Customs Service, Record Group 36. National Archives at Washington, D.C.

Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 1897-1957. Microfilm Publication T715, 8892 rolls. NAI: 300346. Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service; National Archives at Washington, D.C.

Supplemental Manifests of Alien Passengers and Crew Members Who Arrived on Vessels at New York, New York, Who Were Inspected for Admission, and Related Index, compiled 1887-1952. Microfilm Publication A3461, 21 rolls. NAI: 3887372. RG 85, Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service, 1787-2004; Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service; National Archives, Washington, D.C.

Index to Alien Crewmen Who Were Discharged or Who Deserted at New York, New York, May 1917-Nov. 1957. Microfilm Publication A3417. NAI: 4497925. National Archives at Washington, D.C.

Passenger Lists, 1962-1972, and Crew Lists, 1943-1972, of Vessels Arriving at Oswego, New York. Microfilm Publication A3426. NAI: 4441521. National Archives at Washington, D.C.
    Attached Files

I'm ever so sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this isn't "our" George Chapman, aka Seweryn Klosowski.

Best,
    Helena
    Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Working...
    X