The face of Leather Apron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
    There is quite a detailed description of Pizer, but no mention of a boil on his cheek.
    Thanks Jon, I was just wondering why the Leather Apron in the drawing I posted was apparently sketched with a scar on his cheek. And, close up, the sketch Joshua posted looks like Pizer/Piggott is also sporting a scar on his cheek, rather than it being supposed to represent a monacle?

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
      Thanks Jon, I was just wondering why the Leather Apron in the drawing I posted was apparently sketched with a scar on his cheek. And, close up, the sketch Joshua posted looks like Pizer/Piggott is also sporting a scar on his cheek, rather than it being supposed to represent a monacle?
      Hi Debs

Yes, I can see that mark on the Pizer sketch.
      The detailed description of Pizer mentions no scar but does say this: "grizzly black strips of hair, nearly an inch in length, which almost covered the face"

What do you think ?

Comment

Hi JR

Piggott was in the Fiddymont line up, and Pizer was in the Emanuel Violenia line up.
        Both taken into custody on Monday morning, although Pizer was taken to Leman Street, and Piggott to Commercial Street.
        Hi Jon,
        According to the Morning Advertiser 12th Sept;
        "mrs. Fiddyman, the landlay of the house into which it was stated a blood-stained and wild-looking man entered shortly after the hour at which the murder was probably committed on Saturday morning, has been taken to Leman-street station, and on seeing Pizer she expressed herself as quite certain that he was not the man who came into her house on the occasion spoken of."

Do you think the confusion extended to more than the sketch artist?
        If Piggott and Piser were at different police stations, it sems less easy to imagine how it may have occurred.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
          Hi Jon,
          According to the Morning Advertiser 12th Sept;
          "mrs. Fiddyman, the landlay of the house into which it was stated a blood-stained and wild-looking man entered shortly after the hour at which the murder was probably committed on Saturday morning, has been taken to Leman-street station, and on seeing Pizer she expressed herself as quite certain that he was not the man who came into her house on the occasion spoken of."

Do you think the confusion extended to more than the sketch artist?
          If Piggott and Piser were at different police stations, it sems less easy to imagine how it may have occurred.
          Hi JR

They may have taken Piggot down to Leman Street for the line up.
          But Piggot was definitely taken by carriage from the railway station to Commercial Street with Abberline.

But, looking at the newspaper report, which I think you touched on, maybe the newspaper just put the wrong name to the sketch

Comment

Hi Debs/Jon/all

Piggot was apparently in a lineup, viewed by Ms Fiddymont and two other people who were in the bar that morning and saw him. One of these was a man who followed him out.

questions:

piggot was described as having red hair and facial hair correct?

how did Piggot first come to police attention?

How was he cleared?
            "Is all that we see or seem
            but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
            quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Hi AN

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
              questions:

piggot was described as having red hair and facial hair correct?
              I`m not sure of the colour, but he had a beard
              how did Piggot first come to police attention?
              He was raving in a pub in Gravesend and the landlady sent for a bobby

How was he cleared?
              He was under police supervision in the infirmary during the Double Event.

Comment

Hi AN

I`m not sure of the colour, but he had a beard

He was raving in a pub in Gravesend and the landlady sent for a bobby

He was under police supervision in the infirmary during the Double Event.
                OK thanks so much

I'm pretty sure he was described as having red hair-the man seen in Fiddymonts pub, not sure about Piggot.

because Fiddymont man has been floated as being blotchy(carroty) before
                "Is all that we see or seem
                but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
                  Actually, Pat. you picked up on something on the sketch I found and posted that made me look a lot closer at the Piser sketch posted by Josh. On zooming in, doesn't the first sketch also represent a large scar down the left cheek, rather than a 'monacle', and I wonder if perhaps the pointed bushy beard might actually be supposed to be the right shoulder area, unskillfully executed and merged with the five days growth?
                  Hello, Deb,

That is an interesting comment, and on second glance at the sketch in your post, I agree that it could be a scar. The beard seems very pointed, but the artist isn't too talented. Maybe he wanted to convey the "foreign" aspect of the subject.
                  Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                  ---------------
                  Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                  ---------------

Comment

Working...
                  X