Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning out the "Bilges"

Hi all,

With all the new discoveries happening on the Tumblety front (more to come), I’d like to correct a few inaccuracies that keep popping up. Someone who no longer researches Tumblety once stated,

“There is no definitive evidence that Tumblety was in Washington before November, 1861… Tumblety himself claimed that he arrived in Washington shortly after George McClellan was made CIC of the Union Army, which occurred on 1 November, 1861.”

While it is true that Major General George McClellan was promoted to General-in-Chief of the Union Army on November 1, 1861, after the Union forces were defeated at the First Battle of Bull Run (or Battle of First Manassas) on July 21, 1861, President Lincoln appointed McClellan Commander of the Army of the Potomac (Military Division of the Potomac), responsible for the defense of Washington DC.

Here’s what Tumblety actually stated in his autobiographies:

“When General McClellan was appointed commander of the Army of the Potomac, I partially made up my mind to tender my professional services as surgeon in one of the regiments, and I had the assurance from head-quarters that they would be cheerfully received…At this period, I was furnished by Gen. McClellan with passes to go and come where and when I pleased. I mixed with the officers of his staff,”

Two points – First, Tumblety actually referred to July 21, 1861, when the McClellan was appointed Commander of the Army of the Potomac, and not November 1, 1861, and second... he never stated he arrived just after this date.

Sincerely,
    Mike
    The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
    http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
    Hi all,

With all the new discoveries happening on the Tumblety front (more to come), I’d like to correct a few inaccuracies that keep popping up. Someone who no longer researches Tumblety once stated,

“There is no definitive evidence that Tumblety was in Washington before November, 1861… Tumblety himself claimed that he arrived in Washington shortly after George McClellan was made CIC of the Union Army, which occurred on 1 November, 1861.”

While it is true that Major General George McClellan was promoted to General-in-Chief of the Union Army on November 1, 1861, after the Union forces were defeated at the First Battle of Bull Run (or Battle of First Manassas) on July 21, 1861, President Lincoln appointed McClellan Commander of the Army of the Potomac (Military Division of the Potomac), responsible for the defense of Washington DC.

Here’s what Tumblety actually stated in his autobiographies:

“When General McClellan was appointed commander of the Army of the Potomac, I partially made up my mind to tender my professional services as surgeon in one of the regiments, and I had the assurance from head-quarters that they would be cheerfully received…At this period, I was furnished by Gen. McClellan with passes to go and come where and when I pleased. I mixed with the officers of his staff,”

Two points – First, Tumblety actually referred to July 21, 1861, when the McClellan was appointed Commander of the Army of the Potomac, and not November 1, 1861, and second... he never stated he arrived just after this date.

Sincerely,
    Mike
    I don't know why people are so anti facts about FT that appear to be so well grounded.

Looking forward to what else you've found.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I have also looked into this and Tumblety appears to have been there at this time...Frankie did like to talk himself up, but he WAS in DC at this time...how close he was to George McClellan is a different story.....

Didn't you know, it tradition for some to bash people who discover things they didn't in this filed....why, I'll never know....

However, no more jokes about Tumblety and his cigars.....

Steadmund Brand
      "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Working...
      X