Sweeney Todd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan Norder View Post
    Incidentally, Sam, did you happen write the Wikipedia article on the topic? I couldn't help but notice the major similarities between your long post above and my recollection of the highlights of the article on Sweeney Todd as I read it there several weeks back.
    Gareth ........you DIDN'T did you???
    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Incidentally, Sam, did you happen write the Wikipedia article on the topic?
      No, Dan - the post above was entirely my own, after recently reading "The Wonderful and Surprising History of Sweeney Todd", by Robert Mack - a book I can recommend, despite its dire want of better proof reading. Some other doodlings of my own were also included for good measure. I've not read, still less written, the Wikipedia entry.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Oh, well, apologies if I suggested in any way that you presented the thoughts in a Wikipedia article as if they were your own. I'm relieved to know you were merely lifting the content of a book without giving proper credit. Now that that's cleared up...

Dan Norder
        Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
        Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

Oh, well, apologies if I suggested in any way that you presented the thoughts in a Wikipedia article as if they were your own. I'm relieved to know you were merely lifting the content of a book without giving proper credit. Now that that's cleared up...
          I wasn't "lifting the content of a book", thank you very much. Those words are entirely my own, and more than one source was involved. It wasn't a badly written summary either, even if I say so myself - is that what sticks in your craw, after your "plagiarising from Wikipedia" gambit was revealed as a damp squib?
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Well said Sir/Sam!!!!

To be honest the Wiki-Wanderings are always to be taken with a Large amout of Salt I say and as I say(again!)........ as to 'Lifting'....leave that to the Sudbury professionals!!!!!! Hmmmmm

AND always remember..Amateurs plagerise..Professionals steal!!!!!!
            Well with ONE memorable exception!!!!!!.......

Didn't the exception prove the rule????

Suz x
            Last edited by Suzi; 03-02-2008, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Sam--

With all due respect, your post does read like it came from somewhere else. A nod to your sources, Wikipedia or otherwise, might have dispelled any doubt.

Comment

Is AP back?
                This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

AP's always with us..........like the poor!!!

(Blessim)

Comment

Stan,

Yes but not on this thread so far.

All,

If someone presents facts that are readily available in a number of sources, I don't think a "source" is needed. None of what Sam wrote was limited to any one source but are generalized facts. If he had presented any of the "unique" bits from the Mack book, then a source might have been required, but he didn't.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                    I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
                      Sam--

With all due respect, your post does read like it came from somewhere else. A nod to your sources, Wikipedia or otherwise, might have dispelled any doubt.
                      Kelly, I find your support for Dan most creditable, but his clever-clogs attack on me was frankly mean-spirited. (In actual fact, I had thought of nodding to my sources, but thought it might sound pompous.) Besides, I gave you my understanding of what I've learned, and in entirely my own words - in contradistinction to some of the more flagrant cutters and pasters that have plagued this site on occasion in the past. I like writing, I try to write well, and I like to add value wherever I can. It's too bad when such good intentions are sniped at.

This is a message board, not a reference book, after all, and if we were to cross-refer to every source of info we have, be it on the Ripper case or otherwise, these boards would be somewhat tedious to navigate.

Best wishes.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

'Er where were we???
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	sw.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	652813

Comment

Sam,

My post had absolutely 100% nothing to do with Dan, and I resent the implication that it did. My history on these boards shows that I do not jump into his discussions. We are not in the habit of publicly defending one another. I've always been wary of jumping into certain threads, and your response is evidence of why. My opinions and ideas are my own. Period. Please refrain from suggesting that they are otherwise.

I posted again because I was originally involved in this thread. I merely wanted to point out that,to me, your post sounded like it wasn't you. Hats off to you for coming off so well. You've explained yourself adequately now.
                          Last edited by Kelly; 03-02-2008, 08:09 PM. Reason: fixed italics

Comment

Originally posted by Suzi View Post
                            'Er where were we???
                            [ATTACH]518[/ATTACH]
                            "I dunno, Mrs Lovett. But for your sake I hope it wasn't Melton Mowbray..."
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

MMMMMMmmmmm Salma Hayek

Does she play it with a Spanish accent like she did Martha Beck in Lonely Hearts?
                              This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
                                My opinions and ideas are my own. Period. Please refrain from suggesting that they are otherwise.
                                Point noted, Kelly - and I know that you're an independent thinker, so no probs there.
                                I merely wanted to point out that,to me, your post sounded like it wasn't you. Hats off to you for coming off so well. You've explained yourself adequately now.
                                Much appreciated. Thanks
                                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Working...
                                X