One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post
    Just before I head to my bed, let me run one wee prediction by you.

You haven't read a single one of the four books on the subject, have you?

Do you know how I know? Because a long exchange a year or so ago established that almost no-one who contributes to the Maybrick site has any insight whatsoever on the journal becuase they haven't read it nor read the books based on it.

Sam Flynn he'd read a facsimile of the journal on the internet and I swear I nigh on wet myself. Such experts!

You haven't read any of the books and you haven't read the journal because your mind was made up for you.

That's fine, mate. It's just human nature, is all.

Doesn't make you right, of course, but that's not something that really matters to you when you've already decided you are.

Every word, mate. Every word I have read.

Just saying is all ...
    You know you are a most incredible individual, you know the ways of my life better than I do !

I have read The Diary Of Jack The Ripper, which I unfortunately own. I also own Paul Feldmans book Jack The Ripper The Final Chapter. Both works of fantasy. I don't own Shirley Harrisons book, or The Ripper Diary by Seth Linder, Caroline Morris and Keith Skinner. The one's I do own were enough to convince me that the Dairy is a load of bollocks.

Don't presume to know which books on the subject I have read.

I'll post a photograph of me holding the said books if you like.

You remind me a lot of Feldman, whose book never ceases to inform us of the failings of "so called experts" in the feild of "Ripperology". You display similar delusions to Feldman, of that there's no doubt.

Feldman's book is a trip down Fantasy Lane, calling at all stations to La La land.

Off the top of my head, he had a conversation with a Judge apparently who was of the opinion that a hoaxer could not possibly have dreamt up a passage from The Dairy which alluded to Maybrick consuming Eddowes kidney. No modern human would dream of such a thing reasoned our learned Judge. Pity he hadn't read the letter posted at the time of the murders which included the lines "tother piece I fried and ate" !

You know, regarding Paul Feldman's book the hairs were forever standing up on the back of his neck, or he was speechless, or he was constantly visibly knocked into the back of his chair. It all became a bit tedious. And why did he print a photo of Michael Maybrick, and inform the reader it was James Maybrick?

Does that give you a hint that I have indeed read Feldman's book ?

As you say it's getting late, but stick around, I remember some glaring discrepancies in Feldman's theories. No doubt you're a great believer in his book. We'll discuss them at a later date.

Comment

• >You haven't read a single one of the four books on the subject, have you?<<

Four?

I've got at least five, plus printouts of the original lost 1990's Casebook message board (very heated) debates between the likes of Feldman, Harris, Skinner, Begg, et al.
      Attached Files
      dustymiller
      aka drstrange

Comment

• Observer wrote:

You remind me a lot of Feldman, whose book never ceases to inform us of the failings of "so called experts" in the field of "Ripperology". You display similar delusions to Feldman, of that there's no doubt.

Feldman's book is a trip down Fantasy Lane, calling at all stations to La La land.
        I read Feldman's book soon after it was published, and although I believed hardly a word of it, I found it at least entertaining. Plus, don't forget that Feldman had an ulterior motive: he was planning a block-buster movie promoting the Maybrick-is-the-Ripper theme, because he was a promoter and that's basically what he did for a living. It never happened, and Feldman became something of a tragic figure, giving me at least ample proof that it doesn't always do to cling obstinately and passionately to a belief that very few others share.

I've read the three 'other' books that Ike named, and can never be convinced that Maybrick was the man. Why Ike clings to this belief in the face of so much opposition is a mystery to me - or does he have an ulterior motive too?

Graham
        We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• I endorse your post in it's entirety Graham. I've never gone back to Paul Feldmans book for a while, I do remember finding Mr Feldmans leaps of faith a bit irritating though. Mr Feldman has passed on of course, and can no longer defend himself, and much as I am reluctant to speak ill of the dead, if his book is being discussed then I think we need to speak our mind and give an honest opinion of the content.

As for Ike, he is entitled to his opinion, as we all are, but, I can not for the life of me understand why anyone would believe that "The Diary" is anything but a hoax. I doubt he has ulterior motives, although Scott Nelson commented earlier in this thread that he was surprised (seeing that The Diary is being discussed again) that non of the usual Diary believers had made an appearance. Have they finally discovered the identity of the man, or woman, who is the true author of "The Diary" ?

Observer

Comment

• Hi Mr O,

I think the point at which I turned off the tap of belief in the Maybrick-wrote-the-Diary myth is where Feldman is interviewing Billy Graham, and was trying his utmost to get the poor bloke to say what he, Feldman, wanted him to say. I wondered after that first read, when I got to the end of his book, whether indeed Feldman really, genuinely, truly and honestly believed that Maybrick wrote the Diary; but I think he was too far down the primrose path and there was also still the delightful scent in the air of big Hollywood bucks. But having said that, Feldman IMHO wrote an entertaining tale, and one of these days I'll read it again.

For what it's worth, I still subscribe to the view that the Diary is indeed a 'forgery', but an old one. The reason for its existence is still unclear, though suggestions have been made....

Graham
            We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• isn't there some kind of book out there called the diary of jack the ripper by or about someone named Carnac? supposed to be non fiction?

my daughter picked it up a few years ago and I glanced at it briefly and saw there was a forward by Paul Begg (or maybe Rumbelow)? It seemed to be written in an old fashioned writing style. Anyway we lost it and I haven't been able to find it.

does anyone know anything about this?
              "Is all that we see or seem
              but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
              quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                isn't there some kind of book out there called the diary of jack the ripper by or about someone named Carnac? supposed to be non fiction?

my daughter picked it up a few years ago and I glanced at it briefly and saw there was a forward by Paul Begg (or maybe Rumbelow)? It seemed to be written in an old fashioned writing style. Anyway we lost it and I haven't been able to find it.

There's 'The Diary Of Jack The Ripper' by Shirley Harrison, foreword by Prof David Canter. Chapter headings are printed in an old-fashioned cursive script. There is also a facsimile of the Diary itself, great if you've got 20/20 vision.

Graham

Comment

Sharpen your sword, son.

It may be time we put the band back together ...
                  I've never been away, just observing from a distance.
                  As for Soothsayer, I have a feeling he was banned on here.
                  For what ...I don't know, but he is sorely missed.

Regards

Comment

Though I hate Liverpool (ironically). Can't forgive them for May 4, 1974.
                    Please tell me you are not one of 'them?' And you never picked up on my 'Wor Jackie' ref...

Comment

• Autobiography of Jack the Ripper (novel)

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                      isn't there some kind of book out there called the diary of jack the ripper by or about someone named Carnac? supposed to be non fiction?

Yes, it has been discussed at this link, here on Casebook (forum Non-Fiction).

Seems to be a fictional work from the 20th century. I remembered the name Carnac and did a search.
                      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                      ---------------
                      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                      ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by spyglass View Post
                        I've never been away, just observing from a distance.
                        As for Soothsayer, I have a feeling he was banned on here.
                        For what ...I don't know, but he is sorely missed.

Regards
                        Doesn't look like he's banned on the member's list.

Maybe just tired of trying to defend the indefensible.
                        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post

Hmmmm! strange.
                          It certainly said it when I last looked a few months back.
                          Oh well let's hope he reappears in the not to distant future.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post

As an inveterate reader of this thread, I think it highly unlikely that he gave up. Circumstances must have played a part.

Ike
                            Iconoclast
                            Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

• Originally posted by spyglass View Post
                              Hmmmm! strange.
                              It certainly said it when I last looked a few months back.
                              Oh well let's hope he reappears in the not to distant future.
                              Oh well maybe he was banned for a period and when it was up he or she just couldn't be bothered to return.
                              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                                Yes, it has been discussed at this link, here on Casebook (forum Non-Fiction).

Seems to be a fictional work from the 20th century. I remembered the name Carnac and did a search.
                                thanks PC!
                                "Is all that we see or seem
                                but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                                quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
                                X