Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annie knew Mary Kelly?

Hello all,
    I was wondering what creedence was given to the idea that Annie knew Mary Kelly as reported on 11th November?
    I am interested in the likelyhood that people in the area were aquainted. Having grown up in the small communities of RAF bases I always assumed that people living near eachother knew eachother but upon moving to the big city (Manchester) I realised people in the same street can be starngers.
    So I wondered if anyone had ever looked further in to this or if it is regarded as sensationalism?
    In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Well they did live on the same street, and frequented the same pub - the Britannia as each other.

However Whitechapel in 1888 was far more dense that anything we would be used to now in the Western World. I guess we will never know.

Comment

Hi all,

It has been researched up to a point, even at the time, to find a motive for the murders. The victims knowing each other might have given a link.

As far as I know they didn't know each other personally, perhaps they knew each other by face. They did frequent the same streets and lived in close proximity. I believe Annie Chapman lived opposite the entrance to Millers Court and a couple of doors away Elizabeth Stride stayed on occasion. And I do believe Catharine Eddowes sometimes used some sort of shed that shared a wall with or was opposite to MJK's house.

I think they must have met each other on occasion, but it has never been proven that they knew each other.

Greetings,

Addy

Comment

I am interested in the idea that this was reported. I wish there was more in the account but the fact that there isn't proabably shows that it was probably a throw away comment in the Britannia.
        In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

I guess a lot of people would not have known each other by name, but rather by certain features which were also used to describe them if being talked about. Acquaintances would maybe not tell you "XY has been murdered", but rather something along the lines of "Remember that jolly gal who got five front teeth missing.." and maybe some description of dresses or habits.
          In heaven I am a wild ox
          On earth I am a lion
          A jester from hell and shadows almighty
          The scientist of darkness
          Older than the constellations
          The mysterious jinx and the error in heaven's masterplan

Comment

Did Annie know Marie?

I think that the fact that there is no evidence of their respective partners knowing each other may be the biggest indication that these women did not know each other.

Comment

ive never seen any evedence they knew other in a big city you can live almost next door to somebody and never know them they both drunk in the same pub but in busy london pub you probebly would not know all the other customers.

Comment

I think if they lived in close proximity to each other and frequented the same pub, some enterprising journalist would probably have suggested that they were acquainted for pure sensationalism - I don't know this for a fact - but it seems likely. Is it actually reported, does anyone know?

They may actually have been acquainted, but if they had been good friends, for example - I'd expect that to have been recorded as more than mere journalistic enterprise.

Comment

Hello you all after a long time!

Well, if MJK really was 5'7 (170,28 in centimeters), that means, the she was as tall as an average LVP man.

So, maybe Annie knew her as "The tall gal", but that's probably it, if anything.

All the best
                  Jukka
                  "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Working...
                  X