Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions about the letters

I have a few questions about the letters that keep bugging me:

Might there be any link between the author of the Dear Boss letter and the Central News Agency? The Saucy Jack postcard and the 17th September letter (which I appreciate is probably a hoax) also addresses the recipient as 'dear old Boss' suggesting a former professional association.

The 17th September letter also states "You and me know the truth...". Could it be that the editor of the CNA knew the author (although without realising it)?

Maybe "Dear (old) boss" was a common form of address but, on the other hand, it may add weight to the theory that the author was a former or current member of the journalistic profession.

The 17th September letter mentions George Lusk by name but Lusk had only been in the appointment for a week. Was he also trying to suggest that he was a member of the WVC when he stated "I am rite under [Lusk's] nose all the time." Even if this letter was a hoax, why would the author attach so much importance to Lusk?

Apologies if any of these have been answered elsewhere.

Originally posted by All4One View Post

Might there be any link between the author of the Dear Boss letter and the Central News Agency? The Saucy Jack postcard and the 17th September letter (which I appreciate is probably a hoax) also addresses the recipient as 'dear old Boss' suggesting a former professional association.

The 17th September letter also states "You and me know the truth...". Could it be that the editor of the CNA knew the author (although without realising it)?

Maybe "Dear (old) boss" was a common form of address but, on the other hand, it may add weight to the theory that the author was a former or current member of the journalistic profession.

The 17th September letter mentions George Lusk by name but Lusk had only been in the appointment for a week. Was he also trying to suggest that he was a member of the WVC when he stated "I am rite under [Lusk's] nose all the time." Even if this letter was a hoax, why would the author attach so much importance to Lusk?

Apologies if any of these have been answered elsewhere.
    Well the police of the day decided that Dear Boss and Saucy Jack were the work of a journalist at the Central Newsagency, most plump for Bullen, but his boss has been touted as a possibility.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Lusk was the very public face of the Whitechapel Vigilance Committee. His name was in the papers, on posters asking for information, pretty much everywhere and on everything connected to the case very quickly. He is a pretty reasonable target for a letter in no time at all, even if it was a hoax, as he'd really put himself out there.
      I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

"rite".....George Lusk was a Freemason around that time.
        My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Close.

Current professional association.

There is a photo of Jack's mikkerscope on the internet.

Jack was Gull's protege.

Openshaw was Jack's.

Just fill in the gap.

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
            Close.

Current professional association.

There is a photo of Jack's mikkerscope on the internet.

Jack was Gull's protege.

Openshaw was Jack's.

Just fill in the gap.
            Your getting brave, DJA!

Comment

Not really.

Henry Gawen Sutton has been named twice on this site.

He was Mr Hyde to Gull's Dr Jekyll.

The return of the novella as a stage play was the catalyst for the five murders.

Read the novella and ask who the trampled five year old might have been.

Try Mary Ann Kelly,a member of their Church.

Bit too complicated for Ripperologists.

Ciao mate!

Comment

Five year old? Do you mean "a girl of maybe eight or ten who was running as hard as she was able down a cross street"?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                    Five year old? Do you mean "a girl of maybe eight or ten who was running as hard as she was able down a cross street"?
                    You are quite right. My mistake

You will find the baptismal record of Mary Ann Kelly at Shoreditch Church.

Smidge older than most reckon.

The Vestry Board also included a famous toxicologist who was involved in other famous cases.

Sutton's son in law was Dr Savage.

Comment

Working...
                    X