Blaze Foley "Moonlight Song"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blaze Foley "Moonlight Song"

Blaze Foley was a troubador from Arkansas.

He only recorded 3 studio albums, none of which were released in his lifetime.

He marched to his own drum, and slept on friends floors, bus stations and trees.

This song was recorded by his friends on an old tape recorder in their kitchen.
    No dubbing, no tampering, nothing.

Just Blaze and a truly beautiful song.

From 'The Dawg Years" One of the most beautiful songs I ever heard. I have over 100 videos on my channel and no one gets more love than Blaze. If you're inte...

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

He marched to his own drum, and slept on friends floors, bus stations and trees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7yoO1w-FyM
    Great stuff Bat,

I’d never heard of the guy.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
      Great stuff Bat,

I’d never heard of the guy.
      Why can’t computers print what you write.

‘Barn’ and not ‘Bat’ of course
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Nice song. Blaize Foley used to perform and record with one of my all-time heroes, the equally and very sadly late Townes Van Zandt.

A current 'Americana' performer is Amos Lee - well worth a listen. And if you've never heard of, or never listened to, Brooks Williams, he is highly recommended.

Graham
        We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Yep, nothing complicated; just heartfelt music. Love it.

Blaze Foley with Townes Van Zant

Best Wishes,
          Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Thank you.. I am not familiar with Blaze... but Townes Van Zant is an all time favorite.. I have a great Townes story..he was playing a small club here in Buffalo back in the early 1990's and it was the middle of winter...pretty bad snow storm hit the city but I made it to the club...but very few people did... there were only like 10 of us there... anyway.. we thought for sure the show would be cancelled but instead Townes came out...didn't even sit on stage...brought his guitar and sat at a table in the club.. we all gathered around and he told stories and had us sing along and just had a great time for like 3 1/2 hours.. was amazing!!!
            He even let the two of us there who were musicians play..such a tragic figure...but he was fantastic, you could tell he was having trouble staying sober then, and he sometimes had a distant look in his eyes..but it was a night I will never forget!!

Steadmund Brand
            "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
              Thank you.. I am not familiar with Blaze... but Townes Van Zant is an all time favorite.. I have a great Townes story..he was playing a small club here in Buffalo back in the early 1990's and it was the middle of winter...pretty bad snow storm hit the city but I made it to the club...but very few people did... there were only like 10 of us there... anyway.. we thought for sure the show would be cancelled but instead Townes came out...didn't even sit on stage...brought his guitar and sat at a table in the club.. we all gathered around and he told stories and had us sing along and just had a great time for like 3 1/2 hours.. was amazing!!!
              He even let the two of us there who were musicians play..such a tragic figure...but he was fantastic, you could tell he was having trouble staying sober then, and he sometimes had a distant look in his eyes..but it was a night I will never forget!!

Steadmund Brand
              I believe that Van Zandt county in Texas is named after one of his early forbears. He did like the sauce and the powder a bit too much, for sure.

I sang and played 'Pancho and Lefty' at a local club last week - great song that always goes down well with the audience.

Graham
              We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7yoO1w-FyM
                Awesome. Thanks for posting.
                "Is all that we see or seem
                but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post

Steadmund Brand
                  Steadman,
                  That's a great story, thanks for sharing.

I have a great live CD of Townes Van Zandt "Live At The Old Quarter".

It's a smashing intimate performance by a true artist.

By the way, Blaze Foley wrote a smashing song called "Clay Pigeons".
                  John Prine covered it beautifully.

Check it out here.

Comment

Is he any relation to the lynyrd skynyrd van Zandts?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                      Is he any relation to the lynyrd skynyrd van Zandts?
                      No relation Abby.

Johnny Van Zant is spelt without the d.

Townes van Zandt.

Comment

A rather long but interesting article about the life and strange death of "The duct tape Messiah."

The black granite headstone is lost among the other markers in the Live Oak Cemetery in deep South Austin. Several small objects including a small plastic toy truck scattered around the simple flat tombstone are the only indication the dead […]
                        Best Wishes,
                        Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
                          A rather long but interesting article about the life and strange death of "The duct tape Messiah."

http://nodepression.com/article/blaz...se-blaze-foley
                          Hey Hunter,
                          Thanks for this.
                          It looks a smashing article, I will peruse it at my leisure.

Apparently Ethan Hawke has just finished a movie about Blaze's life.
                          It will be interting to see if it gets a major release.

Comment

No relation Abby.

Johnny Van Zant is spelt without the d.

Townes van Zandt.
                            Thanks barn

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Hey Hunter,
                              Thanks for this.
                              It looks a smashing article, I will peruse it at my leisure.

Apparently Ethan Hawke has just finished a movie about Blaze's life.
                              It will be interting to see if it gets a major release.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6443294/
                              If you like Blaze Foley, check out Slaid Cleaves. I think he’s from Maine

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
                              X