Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Would the B.S. Man's Punishment Be for Throwing Liz to the Ground?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Would the B.S. Man's Punishment Be for Throwing Liz to the Ground?

This question has come up of late and there seems to be a real difference of opinion. I don't think the police or judges would be too sympathetic to a prostitute who got roughed up a bit at the hands of a customer or potential customer. More of a you shouldn't have been out in the street in the first place sort of thing. My guess, and that is all it is, is that had the B.S. man been arrested for simply throwing Liz to the ground, that there probably wouldn't have been any punishment at all or maybe a don't do it again lecture. If there were, I can't see it going beyond a few days in jail or a small fine. Yet, others see it as an assault and battery (and you could certainly argue that that was technically in fact what it was) and the punishment would be relatively severe.

So, what is the probable spectrum of consequences for the B.S. man had he been arrested?

c.d.

lecture

Hello CD. Thanks for starting this thread.

You recall the PC said there were a few rows that night, but nothing more.

So I think you are entirely correct about the lecture.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
      Hello CD. Thanks for starting this thread.

You recall the PC said there were a few rows that night, but nothing more.

So I think you are entirely correct about the lecture.

Cheers.
      LC
      Hello Lynn,

I remember when people were discussing why Kate was let out of jail and the consensus was that the police had bigger fish to fry on a Saturday night. I think this would hold true for the B.S. man as well. It was just too common a crime with no one being seriously hurt.

c.d.

Comment

Hi C.D.,

As it turns out, lasting infamy.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by m_w_r View Post
          Hi C.D.,

As it turns out, lasting infamy.

Regards,

Mark

Good one, Mark.

c.d.

Comment

Otherwise engaged.

Hello CD. Thanks.

Yes, bigger fish to fry.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Depends what was said, what was actually threatened, what was done...but if you were a 19th Century copper confronted with a body and a likely suspect en-scene, what would you do?

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                Depends what was said, what was actually threatened, what was done...but if you were a 19th Century copper confronted with a body and a likely suspect en-scene, what would you do?

All the best

Dave
                Hi Dave,

No, I meant if he had simply called things off after being seen by Schwartz. So, no murder.

c.d.

Comment

Hi C.D.

So, what is the probable spectrum of consequences for the B.S. man had he been arrested?
                  I think the charge would likely have been 'common assault', also if he wasn't arrested at the time Stride may have been able to apply for a warrant at the magistrates and have him charged at a later date, however the success of this would have depended on various factors - witnesses, etc.

The punishment for this would have been very light, probably just a small fine, unless there were other factors to be taken into consideration, such as he had previously assaulted her, or he had been bound over to keep the peace or was an habitual offender.

Comment

Hi C.D.

From around the same time;-

ANOTHER OUTRAGE AND THREATS.-James Henderson, aged 32, a tailor of [166], Woodland-street, Dalston, was charged before Mr. Horace Smith with violently assaulting an unfortunate woman named Rosa Goldstein, and threatening to "rip her up, the same as a few more had been done."-Prosecutrix, who appeared with surgical bandages about her head, and appeared weak from loss of blood, stated that on Saturday night she was going home when prisoner made proposals to her, which she refused, when he struck her three times on the head with the buckhorn handle of his stick, causing blood to flow freely, and rendering her partially insensible. A crowd gathered round, and she gave the prisoner into custody.-Mr. Horace Smith, addressing the prisoner, said-If it had not been that you were drunk, and may not have known exactly what you were doing, I should have dealt very severely with you. It is not because this class of women are unfortunate they are to be knocked about. I have considered the good character you have hitherto borne, and also that I do not think it was wilful [sic] wickedness, and therefore will only inflict a fine of 40s. or imprisonment for one month. - Daily News 2 Oct 1888
                    Last edited by Mr Lucky; 07-31-2013, 11:55 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

Hi,
                      That is why I remarked on the Stride thread, that nobody but the Ripper would have had to cut her throat , in order to refrain her from reporting the incident.
                      If BS was simply a drunken lout, and became angry at her refusal to oblige, then surely to murder would be the action of somebody a bit more sinister?
                      Regards Richard,

Comment

temper, temper

Hello Richard.

"If BS was simply a drunken lout, and became angry at her refusal to oblige, then surely to murder would be the action of somebody a bit more sinister?"

Or with a more explosive temper?

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

Or with a more explosive temper?
                          I think he might've been Lynn...the incident (whatever it was) seems to have kicked off incredibly quickly in the time it took Schwartz to follow BS up the road

All the best

Dave

Comment

odd

Hello Dave. Thanks.

And, all things being equal, and absent a scathing insult by Liz, does not that quick deterioration into a purported throat cutting seem a bit odd?

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

Not sure Lynn...you have a point but he might've started as he meant to go on...until he realised he'd better split

Every Good Wish

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X