Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The International Working Men's Club as a Place of Refuge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
    Well said Michael...I'm bloody sure she wasn't any sort of angel - November 1884 is a clincher in that particular respect - but out of all the canonical five she might well be the one who truly offended rarely...mind you she was, by all accounts, a rare bullshitter!

All the best

Dave
    That part in bold I acknowledge Dave, but in the post I described her being struck from the register in Goteborg before moving to London, and that can be and was factually checked by the author of the article I discovered Strides history in, by Daniel Olssen in a Ripperologist publication...I hope I got the surname spelling correct.

She may have lied about a lot to cover what Im sure was a checkered past, particularly if she had any intentions of working for a family again. I suspect all of our Canonicals had indiscretions they would have rather forgotten and perhaps later lied about....but when it comes to this issue of Liz Stride and her activities that last night, I believe the fair thing is to assess the type of person she was as best we can and learn what options she had at that time for legitimate work.

For me, I read her as a woman who didnt want to be a street whore and took steps at one point to make that a reality, and someone who at the time of their death was making some legitimate money at least semi- regularly. She stated that for the past few months..."she had been at work among the Jews."

Its one reason Im not as surprised as some others to find her dressed nicely outside an establishment that was owned, operated and frequented by Jews.

Cheers Dave
    Michael Richards

Comment

Working...
    X