Ripperologist 152: October 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripperologist 152: October 2016

OUT NOW - YOUR FREE RIPPEROLOGIST MAGAZINE, ISSUE 152!

EDITORIAL:
    DIARY OF A RETIRED MEDICAL EDITOR AND RIPPEROLOGIST
    Christopher T George

WHO WAS JACK THE RIPPER?
    Richard Whittington-Egan

THE THEOTOKOS MURDERS:
    MOTHER MARY AND THE “FOUR JACKS”
    Randy Williams

MURDER AND MURDER: THE FRUITS OF TODAY’S SOCIETY
    From the Archives: DER ARBETER FRAYND, 5 October 1888

A NIGHT WITH THE THAMES POLICE
    From the Archives: THE STRAND MAGAZINE, February 1891

RIPPEROLOGIST 21st BIRTHDAY CONFERENCE REVIEW
    Neil R A Bell

RICHARD WHITTINGTON-EGAN: A REMEMBRANCE
    Stewart P Evans

HORROR THAT HAPPENED
    A Conversation with Author/Illustrator Alan M. Clark

STRANGE VICTORIANA
    Jan Bondeson

A FATAL AFFINITY: CHAPTER 11
    Nina and Howard Brown

VICTORIAN FICTION: THE STORY OF THE SPANIARDS
    By E and H Heron

BOOK REVIEWS

We publish every two months, circa 100 pages each issue. If you don't already subscribe, simply send your email address to contact@ripperologist.biz and we'll add you to the mail list! Specify pdf or Kindle.

Christopher T. George
    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Already got mine, half read, thanks as always.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
      Already got mine, half read, thanks as always.
      Thank you, my friend!

We look forward to comments particularly on the controversial article by Randy Williams which sure to stir debate.

Best regards

Chris
      Christopher T. George
      Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
      just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
      For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
      RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
        Thank you, my friend!

We look forward to comments particularly on the controversial article by Randy Williams which sure to stir debate.

Best regards

Chris
        Hi Chris,

I think controversial may be somewhat of an understatement.

Have read the article twice, and have to say I am very far from convinced by any of it, Maybe its a reaction against Grand conspiracies in the ripper case, how many have we had now?

However its well written and it now seems we have another finder of a body as the killer, move over Lech.

I am sure others will say far more.

Rest of the edition good as one of course expects, especially the tribute to Richard.

Steve

Comment

It looks like another terrific issue, and I'm glad to have a few more days of vacation to enjoy reading it.
          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
            Thank you, my friend!

Best regards

Chris
            It will probably need to wait till later, as the pesky Mrs Gut wants me to earn money, says that there are cruise companies that will go broke if I don't do my part in booking cruises.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Currently up to page 18 of "The Theotokos Murders" article, taking a little break to decide whether to bother reading the rest. Maybe Lechmere is a good suspect after all;-)

So many errors, misinterpretations. So many old canards returning.

I am noticing a trend back to the 1970's suspect books. Times of huge, wild conspiracy theories.
              dustymiller
              aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
                Currently up to page 18 of "The Theotokos Murders" article, taking a little break to decide whether to bother reading the rest. Maybe Lechmere is a good suspect after all;-)

I am noticing a trend back to the 1970's suspect books. Times of huge, wild conspiracy theories.
                I think there may be a correlation between conspiracy theories and distrust of the government-- certainly in the United States, we distrusted our leaders both in the late '60s and early '70s and
                now.
                Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                ---------------
                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post

I have to agree, Dusty.
                  I'm still getting over Elizabeth Jackson being 'drowned' and dismembered.
                  Not my thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
                    I have to agree, Dusty.
                    I'm still getting over Elizabeth Jackson being 'drowned' and dismembered.
                    Not my thing.
                    not sure if people picked up on my "well written", in an old episode of yes minister, a report which is very bad is described by Bernard as either well written or typed can't remember which.

Steve

Comment

I just finished Randy Williams’ article, “The Theotokos Murders”, proposing Louis Diemschutz, Isaacs Kozebrodski, Samuel Friedman and Prince Pyotr Kropotkin as the Whitechapel Murders.

Kozebrodski, the so-called “Jack of Spades”, is alleged to have murdered Stride in Dutfield’s Yard (while Friedman as “pipeman” kept watch) then proceeded to Mitre Square, where he did in Eddowes while Friedman again stood as a look out. Kozebrodski is supposed to have carved his initials on Eddowes’ face. But a problem arises with this scenario in that as soon as Stride’s body was found about 1:00am, Diemschutz and Kozebrodski went out in search of a policeman. Not finding one, they eventually came upon a bystander, Edward Spooner at Fairclough and Christian Streets, with whom they returned to Dutfields yard to further examine the body. By this time another Club member, Morris Eagle, had returned to the Yard with PCs Lamb and Collins from Commercial Street. About 10 minutes past 1:00, Lamb then shut the gates and didn’t let anybody go out. This would have included Kozebrodski and the others, so Kozebrodski would not have been able to leave for Mitre Square. Even if he had managed to slip back out, the PCs would have questioned everyone in the yard and would have recorded his absence (possibly from Eagle as one of the first people to have viewed the body).

Another piece of speculation by Williams is that the man seen with Stride earlier on Berner Street by PC William Smith may have been Diemschutz.

He (Diemschutz) is a perfect fit for the sightings reported and described by Matthew Packer (25-30 years old) and PC William Smith (28 years old) – Diemschutz was 26 in 1888.”

But PC Smith was in Dutfield’s Yard shortly after the murders and would have recognized Diemschutz as the man he saw with Stride. This apparently didn’t happen then or during Stride’s inquest. Likewise with Packer, who lived next door to the yard and would almost certainly have recognized Diemschutz, who lived on the club premises and was also the club steward.

Williams also argues that Diemschutz arrived at the Yard much earlier than he said he did, closer to 12:40am rather than 1:00am. He then met Stride on Berner Street and coaxed her back to the Yard, where he and Kozebrodski killed her, before Diemschutz left to get his cart and pony tied up in Batty Street. But had Diemschutz first arrived at the Yard when Williams said he did, why didn’t Fanny Mortimer see him with Stride, as she was standing by her door at this time?

Perhaps the most troubling part of Williams’ article is the encounter with witness Israel Schwartz. Williams postulates that Diemschutz and Stride walked together south to the IWMEC, but then Stride broke away and walked further south to the south side of the London Board School on Fairclough Street. When Diemschutz again catches up with her, he convinces her to return to the Club with him (thus they are coming back up north on Berner Street). Then just as he tries to pull Stride inside the gateway, Schwartz happens to pass by. But Schwartz deposed that he followed behind a “tipsy” or partially intoxicated man walking south on Berner Street. When the tipsy man got as far as the gateway, he assaulted Stride as Schwartz crossed to the opposite side of the street. Thus, the man was walking south alone, not from the north accompanying Stride when Schwartz witnessed the assault. Earlier, Williams seems to imply that Kozebrowski was the one who killed Stride inside the gateway, but according to Williams it was Diemschutz who she was struggling with on the walkway. The earlier time for Diemschutz arriving at the Yard is apparently suggested to give enough time for him to be seen with Stride by PC Smith, say somewhere between 12:40 and 12:45am.

Of course, most of the piece is pure speculation, but it’s healthy speculation. Certainly some of the events could have occurred the way Williams suggests. The multiple murderer scenario has always fascinated many, including me. There may be something to it.

(also posted on the JTR Forums site)

Comment

Hello Chris,

Clearly the pillow works, you look ten years younger in the photograph for the ad!

Hello Scott,

You beat me to it.

I'm wondering how Diemshits got the pony and cart over the wall of the board school in Batty Street.

Still reading some articles but as always enjoyable read.
                        dustymiller
                        aka drstrange

Comment

Working...
                        X