Do we believe Mrs. Fiddymont?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we believe Mrs. Fiddymont?

I'm curious what the consensus around here is. I've read old threads where lynn cates seems to take her seriously as a witness.

How soon did she come forward? Is it possible she had been exposed to Elizabeth Long's description or other newspaper reports?

I have to admit, the concept of the killer going to the pub after a long night of ripping somewhat amuses me. I've seen a comedy sketch of this concept before: I forget if it was Monty Python (in which case it is likely on YouTube) or Saturday Night Live (in which case it almost certainly isn't on YouTube).
    Last edited by Damaso Marte; 06-21-2012, 10:57 PM.

Fiddymont's friend

Hello Damaso. Mrs. Fiddymont's testimony is not as important as her male friend's. He gave a very accurate description of the man with ginger coloured hair and his peculiar gait and crazed eyes.

Is it credible that the killer should be in a pub right after the killing? Well, certainly NOT if he is a cunning sexual serial killer. It's absurd. But what if he is just a lunatic?

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
      Hello Damaso. Mrs. Fiddymont's testimony is not as important as her male friend's. He gave a very accurate description of the man with ginger coloured hair and his peculiar gait and crazed eyes.

Is it credible that the killer should be in a pub right after the killing? Well, certainly NOT if he is a cunning sexual serial killer. It's absurd. But what if he is just a lunatic?

Cheers.
      LC
      Of course, many people on this forum (myself not among them) would argue that this all happened up to six hours after the killing. Maybe he woke up from the post-ripping nap and didn't realize he had done a shoddy job washing myself? Maybe the ripped shirt was just what he slept in?

In any event, almost all of the murders required a killer who was bold, whether this came from cockiness, nerves of steel, or insanity.

Comment

organ

Hello Damaso. I think he may have sold the organ at market and used the proceeds for his drink--oblivious to what he had done.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

I don't understand where you got the "six hours after the killing".

The man entered the pub at 7am. Chapman was killed probably shortly before sunrise. There was no DST at the time.

Back to the topic: Yes. I would consider the whole trio in that pub credible witnesses. While Mrs Fiddymont was used to identify a suspect, and failed, I find it frustrating that there is no certainty they brought her to identify Isenschmid.

And like Lynn said, the man who followed the "suspicious ginger" had a very good description.
          Last edited by SirJohnFalstaff; 11-23-2014, 04:52 PM.
          Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
          - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Originally posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post

The man entered the pub at 7am. Chapman was killed probably shortly before sunrise. There was no DST at the time.
            There are people who believe that Chapman was killed much earlier. I'm not one of them, but they exist.

Comment

Cheers.
              LC
              I think he would've been in a pub possibly listening to the gossip about his work and also looking for his next victim. I think the ripper liked to drink and I think it's how he picked his victims...in the pubs. Eddowes and Kelly had been drinking especially hard in the 24 hours before their demise right?

Comment

Hello Damaso. I think he may have sold the organ at market and used the proceeds for his drink--oblivious to what he had done.

Cheers.
                LC
                The man that Mrs Fiddymont saw took steps to hide himself from other people at the bar, made sure to get out of the bar as quickly as he could, and was hiding his face. This doesn't strike me as the actions of a madman who thought he had just slaughtered a horse: it strikes me as the actions of somebody who knew he had just done something that society considered wrong.

Comment

conjections

Hello Rocky. Thanks.

"I think he would've been in a pub possibly listening to the gossip about his work and also looking for his next victim. I think the ripper liked to drink and I think it's how he picked his victims...in the pubs."

All conjecture, surely?

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

levels of consciousness

Hello Damaso. Thanks.

"The man that Mrs Fiddymont saw took steps to hide himself from other people at the bar, made sure to get out of the bar as quickly as he could, and was hiding his face. This doesn't strike me as the actions of a madman who thought he had just slaughtered a horse: it strikes me as the actions of somebody who knew he had just done something that society considered wrong."

Same as the lad who bolted from the house on Eltham (Elthorne) rd.

I think my lad was aware AT SOME LEVEL. Based on his charts, his lucidity waxed and waned with alarming rapidity.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Hello Rocky. Thanks.

"I think he would've been in a pub possibly listening to the gossip about his work and also looking for his next victim. I think the ripper liked to drink and I think it's how he picked his victims...in the pubs."

All conjecture, surely?

Cheers.
                      LC
                      Purely LC

Comment

Hi all

Taylors sighting, pipeman, blotchy face. Too many gingers lurking about near the scenes of the crime for my liking.
                        All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by martin wilson View Post
                          Hi all

Taylors sighting, pipeman, blotchy face. Too many gingers lurking about near the scenes of the crime for my liking.
                          All the best.
                          not to mention Lawendes Fair haired suspect, and Ada wilsons
                          "Is all that we see or seem
                          but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                          quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post

Back to the topic: Yes. I would consider the whole trio in that pub credible witnesses. While Mrs Fiddymont was used to identify a suspect, and failed, I find it frustrating that there is no certainty they brought her to identify Isenschmid.

And like Lynn said, the man who followed the "suspicious ginger" had a very good description.
                            In case anyone is interested. In Sugden's book, in the Isenchmid chapter, there are three short lines in a paragraph that says that there were attempts from the police for Mrs Fiddymont and M Taylor to identify the man, but the resident medical officer, Dr Mickle, refused. Since records were lost or destroyed, it is not known if they finally did meet him
                            Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                            - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Originally posted by martin wilson View Post
                              Hi all

All the best.
                              What do you have against gingers?

Comment

Working...
                              X