Barlow and Watt investigate the Ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barlow and Watt investigate the Ripper

Bought this on Ebay (should be here today)
    Any good?

It's interesting in a historical sense, I think. I first learned about JtR in the late 1940s but until this production I didn't really know more than he was an uncaught serial killer who murdered women with a knife in the London during the 1880s. Before, I knew more about Lizzie Borden than Jack.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

It's one of my favourites.I was 13 when I saw it in '73 and loved it then and it still stands up very well today.I got my first copy (video) from Loretta Lay about ten years ago,along with the book,and upgraded to a DVD copy from ebay in '05.Recommended!!
      Last edited by Mary Kelly's Eyes; 03-09-2009, 07:48 PM.

Comment

The physical quality of much of the programme is quite poor - some of it is time-coded, some of it is really grainy and fuzzy - but it's a smashing five hours. You'll get to see parts of Durward Street and Mitre Square as they no longer look as well.

Oh, and marvel at the bizarre Joseph Gorman interview in the last episode.

What I particularly liked in this was the inquest reconstructions with actual witness statements being used as the script.

PHILIP
        Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

The witness/victim costumes are pretty good, too - authentic tat, for the most part, which is as it should be. Having said that, Diemschutz's Schmutter appears a little too grotty for an upper-working/lower middle-class salesman, and - judging by contemporary drawings - Diemschutz scrubbed up rather better than depicted in the show.

Some of the acting in the reconstructed scenes was quite superb, I thought, and all the better for having used the witness statements/inquest transcripts, as Phil has already indicated.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

A great BBC mock-up of the outside of 13 Millers Court.

And Joseph Gorman's contribution was electrifying at the time.
            allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

That's what started me on my obsession with Jack. 1973. That'd be right.
              Don't remember too much about it but that's the program.
              http://oznewsandviews.proboards.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                The witness/victim costumes are pretty good, too - authentic tat, for the most part, which is as it should be. Having said that, Diemschutz's Schmutter appears a little too grotty for an upper-working/lower middle-class salesman, and - judging by contemporary drawings - Diemschutz scrubbed up rather better than depicted in the show.

Some of the acting in the reconstructed scenes was quite superb, I thought, and all the better for having used the witness statements/inquest transcripts, as Phil has already indicated.
                I think if you check the producer/Director they went on to make the film with Michael Cane. It still remains one of the best TV productions ever created.

Unfortunately it is unlikely that modern TV will ever invest such time and money again. However who knows what the future holds.

It certainly kept me up as a kid

Pirate

Comment

Barlow & Watt...Hmm...they must be the British 'Starsky & Hutch', right? ( I wonder who is the British 'Huggy Bear'? )

I've never seen it, but I would like to- any chance someone superlatively wonderful could share their copy on YouTube?

Thanks! Archaic

Comment

Barlow & Watt.

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                    Barlow & Watt...Hmm...they must be the British 'Starsky & Hutch', right? ( I wonder who is the British 'Huggy Bear'? )

I've never seen it, but I would like to- any chance someone superlatively wonderful could share their copy on YouTube?

Thanks! Archaic
                    I have several DVD's of this programme for sale also a copy of the hardback book.

Comment

Barlow & Watt...Hmm...they must be the British 'Starsky & Hutch', right? I wonder who is the British 'Huggy Bear'...
                      ... Colin Welland.

Click image for larger version

Name:	huggybear.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	656932

Now you're disappointed, right?
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Archaic

You had Huggy Bear in those days and we in the UK had Bernard Manning.

Positive Discrimination Legislation..... a great American invention.

And now you've got a Black President.

Big trees from little acorns grow.
                        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Every so often parts of this program show up on youtube, but almost as soon as they're up they're pulled, I'm sure due to copyright infringment.
                          "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Comment

Hi, Billy. I got a tip about a week ago that Barlow & Watts were on Veoh, but they were already in the process of being pulled & only 2 or 3 episodes of 6 were left. I'm not sure how frequently the intrepid poster puts them back up, but you might want to keep your eyes peeled. Thanks, Archaic

PS: SPEAKING OF KEEPING YOUR EYES PEELED:
                            I suspect that the photo in Post #11 labeled 'Colin Weland' is actually a recent paparazzi shot of the legendary Sam Flynn bustin' his freakin' wicked moves at an exclusive Welsh Disco... however, I won't publicize it, cuz Casebook might get sued for copyright infringement & then all our posts will be pulled.
                            (I wonder, can anyone tell me the name of that Welsh Disco?? I can't quite remember, but I think it had lots of L's and Y's in it. )

Boogie on. Archaic

Comment

Thanks! Archaic
                              Type in 'barlow and watts' on Google Video - the whole series is available through there.

Comment

Working...
                              X