Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - by sdreid 7 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - by caz 4 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - by Kaz 4 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Kaz 4 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Varqm 4 hours ago.
General Police Discussion: J Division Fixed Point Whitechapel Station? - by The Station Cat 7 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (21 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (2 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - (1 posts)
Hutchinson, George: The Enigma That Is Richard Blake - (1 posts)
General Police Discussion: Police Orders 1st October 1888 - (1 posts)
General Police Discussion: J Division Fixed Point Whitechapel Station? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Media > Books > Ripper Authors

Old 09-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Detective

I said this somewhere on here but it is worth repeating. Sicket painted pictures of women that are absolute horrors! But there are several valid reasons:

1) Perhaps he was lousy at painting faces, he certainly has no problem with the female figure!

2) Perhaps the model didn't want her features in the painting so he painted a vague face shape

3) Perhaps this was just the under painting, he was going to do the detailing at a later date and never did.

4) Perhaps the models were almost as ugly in real life (he did use "unfortunates" as models) as they look in the painting

5) Perhaps all of the "Sickert Paintings" were not actually painted by Sickert, perhaps they are forgeries!

And my favorite:

6) Perhaps Cornwell should stick to writing and stop trying to be an art critic!
Old 07-13-2016, 04:13 PM

I have a lot of catching up to do and so am almost done with the Cornwell book. Probably, people here are not too keen to read about it once again, but she made one point that I thought was very good. I'll get to that but first I thought Cornwell's writing very competent and engrossing. Her descriptions and ideas about life in the Whitechapel district read very well. Even though Walter Sickert is supposed to be the subject of this work, I sometimes wondered if the author hadn't completely forgotten about him. She didn't manage to make him very interesting for me.

You can't libel the dead, but something goes against the grain with me when it comes to trying an individual for one murder [much less several] within the pages of a book. To suspect someone is one thing, but to prosecute him for 365 pages [off and on] with a verdict of "case closed" is a bit much. Where's the defense? Even a dead man deserves to have his reputation upheld somehow, at least by virtue of a large question mark, lacking absolute proof.

Okay, on to the good point. Cornwell mentioned that there must have been "pints of blood" all over the scenes of the murders--but what about the footprints, a trail of them? Then she tends to dismiss her valid question by saying something like they would have blended into the turf. So, my question is--what was the terrain like regarding the four murders that took place outdoors? Was there not even one good shoeprint to be found, indoors or out? I am only a student Ripperologist at this point, so have patience with my ignorance, please.

Last edited by Aldebaran : 07-13-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote