Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by caz 17 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by caz 28 minutes ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by RockySullivan 39 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: Elizabeth Stride and Jack the Ripper: The Life and Death of the Reputed Third Victim. - by The Station Cat 1 hour and 21 minutes ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by Abby Normal 1 hour and 24 minutes ago.
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - by John Malcolm 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - (9 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (2 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (2 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - (1 posts)
Non-Fiction: Elizabeth Stride and Jack the Ripper: The Life and Death of the Reputed Third Victim. - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Media > Books > Ripper Authors

Old 10-01-2010, 03:31 AM
Superintendent

Well, I will say this for Ms. Cornwell.

She asks a great deal of very good questions. Her answers seem contrived and contorted, but the questions she asks are quite good. Most of my enjoyment from the book came from "Well clearly that answer is wrong, but I wonder what the answer is?" or "It never occurred to me to question that before"

And if my old history prof is correct, someone who get's us to ask the right questions is far more valuable than someone who gives us the answers.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
Well, I will say this for Ms. Cornwell.

She asks a great deal of very good questions. Her answers seem contrived and contorted, but the questions she asks are quite good. Most of my enjoyment from the book came from "Well clearly that answer is wrong, but I wonder what the answer is?" or "It never occurred to me to question that before"

And if my old history prof is correct, someone who get's us to ask the right questions is far more valuable than someone who gives us the answers.
It's amazing how intelligent people - Cornwell included - can properly evaluate others' theories critically but are utterly incapable of doing the same to their own. I suspect we are all slightly guilty of this.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:28 PM

Cornwells dedication at the begining of the book "we finally got him" is both offensive and insulting to the many people who have put genuine time and effort into their research.They also had to work without the vast amount of money she had to buy her results.
As for the book itself it has passages which can only be described as bizarre and at times incomprehensible
Old 10-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by belinda View Post
Cornwells dedication at the begining of the book "we finally got him" is both offensive and insulting to the many people who have put genuine time and effort into their research.They also had to work without the vast amount of money she had to buy her results.
As for the book itself it has passages which can only be described as bizarre and at times incomprehensible
Perhaps the dedication should be attributed to Cornwells insecurity, rather than her ego.
Publisher : " Patsy..... could you repeat the last bit again, you spent how much ? ".
Old 10-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Cadet

i wonder if she sits at her desk in the night giving a holy f**k what we all think and say about her. everyone, even those who say they dont, secretly crave the admiration and acceptance from their audience be it an actor wanting good reviews and so on. I wonder what she feels about her reputation in the Ripper world?
Old 10-04-2010, 12:20 AM
Detective

I am sure that she is irked a little a by the negative attitude of so many Ripperologists, but what the heck, they're just oddballs.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
If Sickert was a letter hoaxer, and thanks to Cornwells book there are compelling reasons to think so,then he deserves the slating he gets.
No, he doesn't. Even if Sickert did write one or more hoax letters, you really believe that he should be labelled a serial killer? Really?

And Cornwell is (was) a great writer of crime fiction. Christ, it doesn't make her Nabokov.

claire
Old 10-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Detective

I do not think Sickert should be a labelled a serial killer because i dont believe he committed those crimes, but hoax letter writers belong to a class of pathetic loser/ petty criminal." Genius " Sickert should no better.
I thought Cornwells Ripper effort was superior to the Scarpetta books.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Clearly she made an error of judgement in accusing Sickert of being a serial killer on the 'evidence' she presented.

But what always surprises me is how many people, while condemning her for this terrible crime, accept almost without question her evidence for Sickert having authored one or more ripper letters. I don't see it myself; I would need more and better evidence before I accuse him of this.

That being said, if I believed he wrote a single ripper letter I would have rather less sympathy for him, because it was not only a sick and despicable prank for anyone to play, but he would only have had himself to blame if he had been arrested for it at the time and consequently suspected of far worse.

Love,

Caz
X

Old 10-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Inspector

I think "Scorpio" is correct in essence when he wrote that Patricia "made a genuine effort to drag ripperology into the forensic age". Had she not been so determined to claim that she had solved the mystery, but had just written a book detailing the forensic work done and the results then would she have encountered the same quantity and same kind of criticism? Somehow I don't think so. So what people have objected to is her arrogance in claiming to have solved what others couldn't, but I again wonder how much this was imposed on her by her publishers and television. When people invest as much money in something as gets invested in every new Cornwell book, the pressures are enormous. even on lowly hacks it can be bad.

As for the Ripper letters Sickert is alleged to have written, this was a conclusion reached by the paper examiner and historian Peter Bower, a quietly authoritative expert witness used worldwide by museums and art galleries, and is based on microscopic examination of correspondence which suggests that Ripper letters and Sickert letters came from the same small batch of paper, from which it seems highly improbable that both sets of letters didn't come from the same source. I understand that a full account of the evidence has not been possible because the owner(s) of the Sickert lettersis can and have imposed restrictions on their publication. Peter's conclusions have nevertheless been questioned and are by no means known to be correct.

Other experts, notably the Sickert authority Anna Gruetzner Robins, who wrote Walter Sickert:The Complete Writings on Art, also added their weight to the conclusion that Sickert penned Ripper missives, so, allowing that it is possible that these people felt under pressure to support Patricia, which I must admit isn't the impression I received, it's possibly understandable that she felt a greater conviction that she's struck pay dirt with Sickert than her other evidence and theorising merited.

Overall, Monty probably hits the nail right on the head when he said that Patricia became the bete noir of Ripperologists because she publicly bad mouthed them, but I think she was misled into believing that the Ripperological community was out to "get her" and she went into a defensive attack mode. People have personal issues and even multi-millionaire writers like Patricia Cornwell aren't immune from being deeply hurt by the criticism they receive - or anticipate.
Paul