Madeleine McCann

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob:

This only appeared now that the police files have been closed and opened to the public. The Portuguese Police failed to follow those leads and only now it transpires what important leads they missed. There was a sighting of Madeleine in Brussels which is notorious for paedophiles rings, last year in June, this lead should have been followed, as it is, the police did not even bother to inform the parents.

Now, belated ( a year later ) when the dossiers have been closed is that we find out about this important lead. A month after Madeleine disappeared.

Parents never give up, the police has given up but the McCann´s never will, they will have to look at leads like this one that sound promising it is the only recourse they have, as the police has given up and closed the case, the McCann´s as parents will have to look for the whereabouts of their little girl, those parents won´t rest until someone somewhere will lead them to their daughter; whether she is alive or dead. They need to know.

Maria

Comment

• Originally posted by Maria View Post

A campaign which cost two million pounds. Not very many people have the resources to do that, very fortunatelly for the McCann´s. Sir Richard Branson found it in his heart to give them a million pounds to do the publicity campaign to try to find the girl, and also contract private detectives to do the work to help the police find Madeleine.

The U.S. is way ahead of us here in Europe for this kind of awareness and we have a lot to learn from them, so missing children can be broadcasted all over Europe.
      Maria,

Have you never heard the old adage about losing a ship for a ha'p'orth of tar?

If everyone kept their eyes on their own kids as much as reasonably possible and practical (I'm obviously not including here the cases of children snatched virtually from under their parents' noses, or when eyes are only taken off momentarily), they wouldn't need millions of pounds of other people's money to help repair the damage or pour into a bottomless pit of despair.

How much hard cash should it really require, when mums and dads all over the world merely have to remind themselves in future of the McCanns' cautionary tale, whenever they are tempted to leave their tiny tots alone in a wicked world?

Of course the plight of missing children should be broadcast as soon as possible, whether their "responsible adults" are acting responsibly or not when the worst happens. But if the irresponsible ones thought they would have to cover the broadcasting costs themselves it might at least concentrate their minds a bit.

As for all these promising early leads that are finally coming to light, and which are going to be milked to the max by Clarence, drip-feeding them into the public domain to keep himself in a job, does it not occur to you that the Portuguese police would love to have earned themselves the prestige of doing a Poirot or a Holmes and solving the case, with the help of this Dutch woman's info, instead of having people who talk a lot but know very little accusing them of being more unbelievably incompetent than a spectacularly incompetent Clouseau?

Where's your evidence that such leads were not followed and found to be useless? Each and every false lead was an expensive, time-wasting exercise that ate into police resources and prevented them from doing anything more constructive. And there must have been thousands of them to date. If Clarence's pay packet depends on getting the gullible to swallow the hype, he's hardly going to rush into print with any details about what the police did to sort the wheat from the chaff, is he? Use a bit of common sense.

Love,

Caz
      X
      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Yes, I'm with Caz here...of course, our concerns should be with what happened to Madeleine. But the way the parents milked the sympathy cow, given that they were the ones who, at the very least, left their kids alone in a hotel room, staggering about wasted every so often to see if they were okay, was just a big two fingers up to all those parents who have lost children through absolutely no fault of their own.

And the idea that all the Portuguese police did was sit around stroking their moustaches and munching sardines, not giving a monkey's about solving the case, is frankly demeaning to law enforcement professionals upon whose shoulders were heaped the responsibilities for ensuring Maddie's safety that should have been her parents'.
        best,

claire

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
          Maria,

Have you never heard the old adage about losing a ship for a ha'p'orth of tar?

If everyone kept their eyes on their own kids as much as reasonably possible and practical (I'm obviously not including here the cases of children snatched virtually from under their parents' noses, or when eyes are only taken off momentarily), they wouldn't need millions of pounds of other people's money to help repair the damage or pour into a bottomless pit of despair.

How much hard cash should it really require, when mums and dads all over the world merely have to remind themselves in future of the McCanns' cautionary tale, whenever they are tempted to leave their tiny tots alone in a wicked world?

Of course the plight of missing children should be broadcast as soon as possible, whether their "responsible adults" are acting responsibly or not when the worst happens. But if the irresponsible ones thought they would have to cover the broadcasting costs themselves it might at least concentrate their minds a bit.

As for all these promising early leads that are finally coming to light, and which are going to be milked to the max by Clarence, drip-feeding them into the public domain to keep himself in a job, does it not occur to you that the Portuguese police would love to have earned themselves the prestige of doing a Poirot or a Holmes and solving the case, with the help of this Dutch woman's info, instead of having people who talk a lot but know very little accusing them of being more unbelievably incompetent than a spectacularly incompetent Clouseau?

Where's your evidence that such leads were not followed and found to be useless? Each and every false lead was an expensive, time-wasting exercise that ate into police resources and prevented them from doing anything more constructive. And there must have been thousands of them to date. If Clarence's pay packet depends on getting the gullible to swallow the hype, he's hardly going to rush into print with any details about what the police did to sort the wheat from the chaff, is he? Use a bit of common sense.

Love,

Caz
          X
          Caz:

Perhaps you need glasses as you did not see that these are not Maria´s words. If you go back you will see that the text is between these " " ... and you know why ?? because that was the indictment of the Portuguese police prosecutors on their own police. That was their conclusion of their findings not mine.

Better get some eye-glasses... You urgently need them.

Love,

Maria

Comment

• I knew that, Maria. I was responding to parts of what you were quoting, which I presumed you were quoting because you agreed with it all.

Except that you needed glasses if you thought you were giving us an outright condemnation of the Portuguese police by the prosecutors. I suggest you read it again, or get someone to translate it for you.

In essence, they were saying that the police had failed because they had been given an almost impossible task, with no evidence available to suggest how Madeleine had even come to be missing in the first place, let alone any clues as to where she went or who may have been with her when she went. There is not even a word of confirmation for Kate McCann's certainty that her daughter was physically abducted from the apartment by an intruder. All avenues have been left wide open by the authorities concerned.

You misunderstood the point made about real life not being like a Hercule Poirot or Sherlock Holmes story, where all the loose ends are tied up in a complex but neat little bow by the last page and the criminal says: "Damn you, Detective! You're too clever by half".

What you quoted was in good English and was not the indictment you were led to believe it was, so I could hardly have mistaken it for your own words, with or without your quote marks.

Hi Claire,

Thanks for that wonderful image. Maria evidently thought the prosecutors were accusing the police of sitting around stroking their moustaches and munching sardines when they could have found the girl alive and well within hours, if only they had chased up every crazy lead.

On the news today, I heard that a British couple on holiday in Croatia thought they had spotted Madeleine and grabbed the child. Turned out to be the son of a Croatian footballer.

Love,

Caz
            X
            Last edited by caz; 08-19-2008, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• Caz:

My Portuguese is better than your non existant Portuguese from where I translated an excerpt of the Portuguese findings.

Evidently you choose to ignore the fact that the detective in charge of the MacCann´s investigation was FIRED because his superiors thought that he had messed up the case. First, he failed to secure the area allowing the flat to be rented out twice before sending the experts in DNA to take samples, and being the reason why the DNA was flawed. Second: That detective in charged of the investigation failed to secure the exits at the border between Portugal and Spain.

Maria
              Last edited by Maria; 08-19-2008, 07:34 PM.

Comment

• Hi all,

......leaving what the police did,or didn't do in all this.

One of the most important points to note,seems to have been completely overlooked........

even the Tapas 7..present while this whole sorry episode was played out for the world's benefit,couldn't agree on their stories.

If they don't know,or are unwilling to share,what happened on that night..what chance has anyone else,investigating or not,got to uncover the facts.

Just an observation,Maria.

Comment

• Originally posted by anna View Post
                  even the Tapas 7..present while this whole sorry episode was played out for the world's benefit,couldn't agree on their stories.

If they don't know,or are unwilling to share,what happened on that night..what chance has anyone else,investigating or not,got to uncover the facts.
                  Well, quite. It occurs to me that, in many ways and unfortunately for Madeleine, the McCanns got the investigation they deserved. The fact they cheerfully left their children and couldn't understand why that looked odd to the investigators more or less opened them up to, if not suspicion, at least diminishing sympathies. That, more than anything, delayed or compromised an investigation that many thought (wrongly or otherwise) could lead only one way.
                  best,

claire

Comment

• Hi Claire,

Exactly,

It seems the McCanns are regarded as upper middle class because of their professions,as far as I am concerned,that just adds to the distaste of the whole affair.

If this had been a Wayne and Waynetta...the twins would be in care,while their parents languish in a foreign cell,while the tabloids tear the hell out of them.

As has been said before,this is all about the McCanns,and has been,since the day after Maddie went....

Best Regards,

ANNA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maria View Post

Caz:

My Portuguese is better than your non existant Portuguese from where I translated an excerpt of the Portuguese findings.
                      Obrigada, Maria. But that only makes it ten times worse!

You were not giving us direct quotes at all in that case, but an extract you translated into English yourself, in your own inimitable way. Even then, you managed to give us something that was not the all round condemnation of the police you interpreted it to be.

Talk about getting things lost in translation, Maria. You are a caution. I wouldn't trust you to interpret Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It would turn into Moonshine.

Love,

Caz
                      X

Comment

• Sealing Borders?

Just as a matter of interest how do you seal the borders of a country that has an area of just over 35,00 square miles, half of which is sea?

I know such things happens in B Movies but in reality you cannot seal off any country.

Comment

• absolutely, Bob and Anna...

...also would like to add as I said before that in the US, the parents would have been up on charges just for leaving the babies, even if nothing had happened to Madeleine...

In the current and very unfortunate Caylee Anthony case, the mother is in jail, even though they do not yet know the status of the child....very similar case...

Maria, the McCann parents are vile and disgusting, a disgrace to all parents everywhere. What good person would leave three BABIES alone so they could go out and get hammered (stinking drunk). They are terrible parents, and because they still do not understand the gravity of what they did, and that THEIR ACTIONS CAUSED WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THEIR DAUGHTER, the twins should be taken from them and given to parents who have ethics and a conscience and will raise them properly.

Their parental rights should be terminated, period.

They are no better than Casey Anthony and Mary Winkler (US cases).
                          Cheers,
                          cappuccina

"Don't make me get my flying monkeys!"

Comment

• Being a parent is for life, I would never dream of leaving my little ones alone. Even when I am home with the kids and Susan is at work, I sit and play with them, put on their fave movies and draw and read with them.

No child should be left alone, and I cannot imagine the terror poor Maddie must have been through!
                            Regards Mike

Comment

• ....exactly, Mike...

....you are a wonderful Dad!
                              Cheers,
                              cappuccina

"Don't make me get my flying monkeys!"

Comment

• Originally posted by claire View Post
                                Well, quite. It occurs to me that, in many ways and unfortunately for Madeleine, the McCanns got the investigation they deserved. The fact they cheerfully left their children and couldn't understand why that looked odd to the investigators more or less opened them up to, if not suspicion, at least diminishing sympathies. That, more than anything, delayed or compromised an investigation that many thought (wrongly or otherwise) could lead only one way.

Claire:

Oh that is a wicked thing to say Claire. Everything failed to that poor little girl the innatenttion of her parents and the police so in a way you are saying that Madeleine deserved her fate.

Maria

Anna :

From the human point of view, it does not matter to me whether they are middle class or not, it sounds to me like if you have a hatred towards the Mc Cann´s because they are middle class so according to you, they do not deserve to have an investigation done into what happened to Madeleine. Four other children have disappeared in the same area, so it stands to reason that there is someone apart from the McCann´s taking those children, four have disappeared. If the person doing this, does not get caught, then more children will have a similar fate. So for you, it is okay that this person or persons should carry on snatching children.

Maria

CaZ:

At one point, you were saying that I needed someone to translate me the English version because I had misinterpreted it, now you are saying that I twisted what the closed file on the McCann´s says. Make up you mind woman which one is it.

The truth is that the file is now closed. The prosecutors file does critise the parents for leaving their children unattended and it is also scathing about the police. If you are unhappy about the findings that the McCann´s are no longer suspects because according to these findings, there is no evidence that the parents set off from the beginning to kill their daughter, then you will have to write to the Portuguese prosecutors.

Why do you take it on me ? At one point you took those words as if they were mine !!! If you are angry about the findings, it is not my fault. What ever you think that is wrong with the prosecutors report it does not matter, since it is now closed and those were their conclusions. It is finished, finito, closed, terminado.

Maria
                                Last edited by Maria; 08-20-2008, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X