Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Joshua Rogan 4 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Joshua Rogan 4 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: The Enigma That Is Richard Blake - by RockySullivan 5 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 5 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Joshua Rogan 6 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 6 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (50 posts)
Hutchinson, George: The Enigma That Is Richard Blake - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Barnett, Joseph

Old 04-23-2011, 06:53 PM
Detective

Question Violent?

It occurs to me that while many tout Barnett as a suspect (Please note that I keep an open mind) I have not found a reference to him being violent with Kelly. I would expect to find some indications that they did more than argue. I ask because there is a reference to the couple arguing and a window getting broken but Kelly could have easily been the violent one in that instance if she was in her cups. What say all of you?
Old 04-24-2011, 11:58 PM
Detective

Its a good point you make on Barnett. The reason I think he is not the Ripper is because George Hutchinson didn't say it was him who was with Kelly before she was murdered. He describes someone unknown to him (and probably unknown to Kelly) and Hutchinson was a friend of Kelly's. So he probably met Barnett and would have said that was him
Jordan
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:26 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeSergeant View Post
It occurs to me that while many tout Barnett as a suspect (Please note that I keep an open mind) I have not found a reference to him being violent with Kelly. I would expect to find some indications that they did more than argue. I ask because there is a reference to the couple arguing and a window getting broken but Kelly could have easily been the violent one in that instance if she was in her cups. What say all of you?
I don't rule out Barnett as her killer, but I do not see Barnett as the Ripper.

The broken window, actually two broken pains in the same window.
Strange how they happen to be close to where they need to reach the lock, at least one of them was - convenient?
I had to wonder if the suggested "argument which resulted in the broken window" was an excuse, because they had actually lost the key and broke a pain intentionally so as not to be charged for another key.

Regards, Jon S.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:19 AM
Detective

Hi Wickerman,

I think that is sound reasoning. If not then indeed that was a very helpful break in the window. In fact, you could go as far as to say that if the window had not been broken, then someone would have had to break it. Or else buy a key. Ans Barnett was out of work, and they were already in arrears with their rent.

Best wishes.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:21 AM
Detective

Hi,

I dont hold much credence with Hutchinson's words at all. I find him a very dubious character.

Best wishes.

Last edited by Hatchett : 04-25-2011 at 03:24 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:14 AM
Detective

I believe him and think he is the most important witness in the case. But its cool if you disagree
Jordan
Old 04-27-2011, 02:48 AM
Detective

Hi Jordan,

Well that's what it's all about, isnt it? We dont have to agree. Everyone is free to voice an opinion and say what they think. That.s good.

Best wishes.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:33 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchett View Post
Hi,

I dont hold much credence with Hutchinson's words at all. I find him a very dubious character.

Best wishes.
Understood, but the East End was populated with dubious characters.
Were they all liars because they were dubious?

So long as Hutch admits to being stood in Dorset St. at a time & place where another witness claimed to have seen a man standing, just by the preponderance of the evidence we should accept those words as true.

Therefore, there is a possibility Kelly went out that night after her liason with Blotchy.
The possibility exists, thats as far as we can take it. As for Mr Dress-up, that is the only part of the story which caused concern, and I think that was what his entire statement was judged on.

Last edited by Wickerman : 04-27-2011 at 03:35 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:56 AM
Detective

Hi Wickerman,

I think that that is the heart of the dilemma. if part of the statement is judged to possibly be untrue then how much credence can you put on the rest of it?

That's life, isn't it? If someone lies to you once then you don't really believe another word they say.

Best wishes.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Sergeant

What is it with Hutch? Gadzillions of threads have been derailed by the very mention of his name

As for Barnett, well. I think it may be impossible to tell, from this remove, whether or not he was capable of violence. Personally, he's not my man. I'm not sure that we can state, with any certainty, that he wasn't ever, or couldn't be, violent. But there didn't appear to be anything of that sort intimated by any of MJ's associates, and you might expect something like that to be divulged if any of them had been privy to such information. Seemingly, MJ wasn't particularly cagey about her personal relationships; she had discussed 'the other Joe' and his predisposition to ill-use her, supposedly because of her living with Barnett. To that extent, I'd gauge that she'd be equally forthcoming about any ill-use on Barnett's part--which she doesn't seem to have been. But I'm not convinced their relationship was as clear-cut as it seems to have been presented, at the time--another thread, another day, though

claire