Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Fisherman 29 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Sam Flynn 30 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Fisherman 38 minutes ago.
General Discussion: Jack's early inspiration? - by Joshua Rogan 40 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Sam Flynn 44 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Fisherman 59 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (81 posts)
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - (14 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Only one suspect can be shown to have carried a knife. - (9 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: good riddance-have fun in Hell - (6 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (3 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Barnett, Joseph

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09-08-2008, 06:12 AM
Mitch Rowe Mitch Rowe is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Lauritz Andersson View Post
Brenda,

I truly doubt that the killer of MJK also killed the others, but apart from that I agree with most of what you say in your last post above. Many good points there.

All the best
If Barnett kills Mary he IS the Ripper..It would be virtually impossible(My opinion is that it WAS impossible.)for anyone to copycat such a thing.

I dont know how much more anyone thinks MJKs facial mutilations were to Eddowes but both had their noses cut off! Damn...Thats sick enough for me!

I think you all better be accusing John Kelley. Barnett is non starter on soo many levels!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Glenn Lauritz Andersson Glenn Lauritz Andersson is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden
Posts: 979
Default

No, Sam, I mean all of it!

All the best
__________________
The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Dan Norder Dan Norder is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Lauritz Andersson View Post
On the contrary, the mutilations on Kelly is pretty much a sloppy job and simple butchery and mostly these types of murders are done by people with no prior crimes on their records.
I'm going to have to call your bluff on this one. First of all, most killers in general do have prior criminal records, and certainly the more violent the killing the more likely they had a prior record of criminal violence. Furthermore, the ones who didn't have prior crimes on their records often had just had not gotten caught for them up until that point, it's not that they necessarily didn't have a criminal past. If you want to claim otherwise, please provide a real source to back that up instead of just expecting us to believe it because you said it. You've made similar claims of fact in the past about related topics and never backed any of them up either. The facts don't support your claims.

And that argument are even less reasonable when the geography, dates and exact mutilations are compared to the ongoing string of Ripper murders. Certainly copy cat murders and unrelated domestic murder did happen, but they are extremely rare. It's more than a little reckless to suggest that one that was mere minutes from where Chapman was killed in exactly the same way is at all likely to have been by someone else entirely.
__________________

Dan Norder
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-08-2008, 08:43 PM
claire claire is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Otago, NZ
Posts: 645
Default

Yes, sorry Glenn, but I'd really like to see some cited evidence for your statements. The 'no priors' is very, very rare (at least in UK/America): it is, certainly, possible for a smart individual to escape police notice, but it's against the evidence to claim that those responsible for this extreme sort of homicide have no previous criminal behaviour/record.

Offenders of this type, too, are mercifully rare and, with a bit of (albeit very rough) time series analysis, we might even claim that they would have been rarer still in 1888. The extreme level of violence here argues against a 'simple' domestic by an individual with no previous record (official or otherwise) of violent offending of one or other sort.

Also, I don't really understand your dispute with the statement that the killer had more privacy (and, hence, time) than was available in the other murders. I know MC 13 was hardly an isolated location, but it was assuredly less public than the other murder sites under discussion.
__________________
best,

claire
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Glenn Lauritz Andersson Glenn Lauritz Andersson is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden
Posts: 979
Default

Oh dear, here we go again. The same tedious nonsense comments.
The problem is, that everytime I've cited examples, I have recieved stupidious and unitelligent remarks like: "Hey, that is not exactly like the Kelly murder!" And so the point is obviously missed and the whole effort has become useless and a waste of time.

Just to make myself clear: we will NEVER find any murder that looks exactly like the murder of MJK, simply because most murders are unique. We may find domestic murders that are worse and those who are less exdessive but none of them will be a carbon copy of the murder in Miller's Court. What should be focused on, is that if a spouse is evil or psychotic enough to mutilate his girlfriend or wife in any extensive way, that should be enough to prove what seemingly 'normal' people is capable of. And examples of this are numerous and - not to forget - many such cases are described in crime manuals, which I know people like Dan Norder likes to read but apparently learns nothing from it, unless he simply is very selective.
Let me cite former investigtaor of the NYPD, Vernon J Geberth in an article from Law and Order Magazine and his crime manual Practical Homicide Investigation (bold emphasis are mine):

DOMESTIC VIOLENCE LUST MURDERS

It is important to note that the motivation in an interpersonal violence oriented dispute may be obscured by what was done to the body of the victim, or how the crime scene was staged or changed. Originally, what appeared to be a rape-murder, the work of a sexual psychopath, or a lust murder is oftentimes based on interpersonal violence.

CASE HISTORY
I remember supervising the investigation of a case which appeared to have been committed by a lust murderer or a psychotic killer. The partially clad body of a 22 year old black female was discovered in her apartment. She had been savagely beaten on the head with a baseball bat and her throat had been slashed. Next to the body was a blood stained drinking glass. I observed a lip print in blood upon the rim of the glass, suggesting that the glass had been used to drink blood. On the coffee table in the living room were a number of kitchen knives, which had been used to slice the victim's body. All the utensils were lined up on the coffee table like an operating room in a hospital. The victim had been eviscerated and a large soda bottle had been thrust into her abdominal cavity. Her intestines could be observed inside of the clear plastic bottle. There were a number of postmortem slicing to her breasts and chest. In addition, the killer had also carved diagonal wounds into both of the victim's legs. This murder was actually committed in a fit of rage during a domestic dispute by the victim's live-in boyfriend."

So with this example - one of many, according to Geberth in his book - one can easily deduce that many of the elements described fits what we usually reckon to be serial killer crimes. The only thing is, they are perpetrated by the victim's spouse and it's a valid illustration of what some individuals with a close relationship to the cictim are capable of doing.

In Sweden we've had several cases of this kind - with more or less excessive mutilation degree and as far as I know, the offenders have no prior crime history, although some of them have had some medical psychological history or some kind of disorder (which would of course fit in with Fleming in connection with the Kelly murder).
Since I am mostly indulging in national crimes on my own home turf, that is of course my basis for any research. How the case statistics for such murders look in the US or Britain I admit I am less familiar with.

As for older examples from criminal history where a spouse has murdered and excessively mutilated his wife or fiancÚ (and who wasn't serial killers with prior experience of murder), the most notable is of course William Henry Bury (unless someone suggests he was the Ripper). Others are James Greenacre, dr. Hawley Harvey Crippen, Patrick Herbert Mahon, Adold Luetgert, John Norman Holmes Thorne and Buck Ruxton.

All the best
__________________
The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Last edited by Glenn Lauritz Andersson : 09-08-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Glenn Lauritz Andersson Glenn Lauritz Andersson is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden
Posts: 979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Norder View Post
It's more than a little reckless to suggest that one that was mere minutes from where Chapman was killed in exactly the same way is at all likely to have been by someone else entirely.
The only reckless thing here is your continuing attempts to mislead people by delivering your erronous interpretations, like when you say that Kelly was killed 'in exactly the same way' as Chapman. Which is a ludicrous deduction, since Kelly was pretty much butchered and fileted all over the place. Nor the mutilations (except for the throat cut), the missing organ, or the killer's approach and modus operandi show any segnifivant similarity with Nichols', Chapman's and Eddowes' murders at all.

Ad of course, the 'geography' is irrelevant, since it would be natural for such spin-off murders to occur on a location close to the other murders rather than the opposite. Just like the murders of McKenzie and Coles did.
__________________
The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Jon Guy Jon Guy is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Lauritz Andersson View Post
This murder was actually committed in a fit of rage during a domestic dispute by the victim's live-in boyfriend."[/i]
Hi Glenn

Does Gerberth say how the above individual was caught ?

Is it not true to say that most domestic crimes are solved quickly as the first place the police will look is close to home, and as you say, the perpetrator of such crimes is normally not experienced and will not have the mental capacity to deal with their actions, therefore they do a runner or are found having a mental breakdown somewhere.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Glenn Lauritz Andersson Glenn Lauritz Andersson is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden
Posts: 979
Default

Unfortunately he doesn't day, Jon. Nor does he mention any names, but then again. He doesn't even mention the name of the perpetrator in rather well known serial killer cases, but then again I assume that is not his main priority in a crime manual meant for educational purpose. The purpose is to provide examples of behaviour, not to disclose names.

But of course modern perpetrators of this kind are caught rather easily, since they often can be linked to the crime via DNA and other forensic methods, and since their crimes have been committed during a psychotic episode. However, many offenders in domestic mutilation or murder cases can often be quite slick and do their best either blame it on an outside, unknown offender or cover his tracks in other ways.

DNA and other forensic stuff, however, was not available in 1888 (not even finger-print), so it would have taken quite a lot of work to nail the individual to the crime unless he confessed to it himself or was pointed out by several witnesses.

All the best
__________________
The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Last edited by Glenn Lauritz Andersson : 09-08-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Jon Guy Jon Guy is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Lauritz Andersson View Post
Nor the mutilations (except for the throat cut), the missing organ, or the killer's approach and modus operandi show any segnifivant similarity with Nichols', Chapman's and Eddowes' murders at all.

Hi Glenn

Both Kelly and Chapman had their abdominal areas removed in 3 "panels". As Sam Flynn points out, both murders had visibility, so when he could see, he removed in panels.

The killer began cutting Eddowes right thigh, buttock and right labia in a similar method to the way Kelly`s thigh, buttock and external organs were removed.

Last edited by Jon Guy : 09-08-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-08-2008, 11:22 PM
robhouse robhouse is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,208
Default

Jon,

Good points. I have pointed out more than once, that there are many similarities between the wounds inflicted on Kelly and those inflicted on earlier victims, especially Eddowes and Chapman. (for example: http://forum.casebook.org/showthread...3859#post13859)

Also, there is no known difference in the Kelly murder in terms of victim selection, approach, geographic locality, time of day of the murder, etc.

The argument for excluding Kelly is VERY weak, and is mainly derived from the fact that the more extensive mutilation on Kelly tends to obscure the fact that fundamentally, the wounds are similar in character.

Of course, when one makes these very simple (Occam's razor) and clear arguments... ie. the most logical and obvious explanation... one tends to get accused of being "not open minded" and saying "the same old arguments". Of course, those who argue against Kelly's inclusion cannot actually debate in terms of the character of wounds or any other specifics in terms of similarities between the Kelly murder and the Ripper's previous kills.

The fact that she was killed indoors means nothing, if you are going to argue that this is a difference that sugests a different killer. It has nothing to do with victim selection or approach, as the Ripper almost certainly would not have known beforehand whether Kelly had a private room or not. But he certainly would not have rejected her as a potential victim when he found out she did.

Rob
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.