Something I noticed on the Casebook page for him

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something I noticed on the Casebook page for him

I hope it's ok to post this here. When reading the Casebook page for Prince Albert Victor, I read this:

According to Jack the Ripper: A to Z (Begg, Fido, and Skinner), the first allegation comes from Phillippe Jullien in his book, Edouard VII. In it, Jullien remarks that "the prince and 'the Duke of Bedford'" (A-Z, pg. 16) were rumored to be responsible for the murders. I cannot find any details on this mysterious "Duke of Bedford" to corroborate this remark.
    There was indeed a title of "Duke of Bedford" which I believe still exists. I don't know which one is being mentioned here as, from what I've been able to find, there was a Duke of Bedford in 1888 and also men who were not the Duke of Bedford at that time but were alive then and would later inherit the title.

I was able to find some information on Wikipedia (which is not the most reliable source) and here: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/bloomsbury-proj...uals/dukes.htm

I wonder if someone who is keener on genealogical research can shed some light on this?

I'm not arguing for or against this theory either way, this is just something I noticed that could be worth looking into for anyone who is curious.

Hi Mondegreen,

The Duke of Bedford in 1888 was Francis Charles Hastings Russell, 1819-91. He committed suicide but the death was originally said to be congestion of the lungs and questions were asked in parliament about the conduct of the inquest. In his book on the suspects Stan Russo suggested that the Duke's son, and successor, George William Francis Sackville Russell (1852-1893) was the man referred to by Jullien. The next Duke, Herbrand Arthur Russell, (1858-1940) was linked to the Royal Conspiracy by Karen Trenouth.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulWilliams View Post
      Hi Mondegreen,

The Duke of Bedford in 1888 was Francis Charles Hastings Russell, 1819-91. He committed suicide but the death was originally said to be congestion of the lungs and questions were asked in parliament about the conduct of the inquest. In his book on the suspects Stan Russo suggested that the Duke's son, and successor, George William Francis Sackville Russell (1852-1893) was the man referred to by Jullien. The next Duke, Herbrand Arthur Russell, (1858-1940) was linked to the Royal Conspiracy by Karen Trenouth.
      Thank you for clarifying this. I'd been wondering which one was which since it seems like more than one man who would become the Duke at some point or another were alive and adults at the time.

Comment

Interestingly George William Francis Sackville Russell would have been a Barrster at the same time as Montague Druitt.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Also I am almost certain that the "Sackville" comes from his Grandfather and he is descended from the Earl of Dorset.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

And mt ancestors owned Battlesden house prior to the Duke of Bedford (9th from memory) purchasing it.

Pity they didn't keep some of the money for me,
            G U T

Comment

'' i do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance'' Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit , touch it and the bloom is gone''
              Lady Bracknell in The Importance of Being Ernest.

Miss Marple

Comment

Working...
              X