Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland Yard Museum talk

Hi friends

I've received an email from the Crime Museum asking me to give a talk to the Metropolitan Police History Society (MPHS).

No date yet, and I don't know if non-members will be admitted.

Helena
    Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

mazel tov!
    The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

What an honour.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Mazel tov? I'm not Jewish! In fact, I shall eat pork in my cell to prove it.

Hey Ms Errata ~ did you see your words in my book?

Helena

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
          No date yet, and I don't know if non-members will be admitted.
          Helena
          It's 10th December, but unfortunately it's members only. What a shame!

Helena

Comment

Dzien Dobry, Pani Wojtczak, I am reading and greatly enjoying your excellent book at the moment, and am sad to hear your talk is a members-only affair.

Alas I am not a member, though I have often been referred to as a synonym of that word.

I hope the talk is a great success, and thank you for one of the most interesting Ripper-related books out there.

Comment

In this current climate, it's heartening to hear some real research being rewarded.

Well done Helena!
              dustymiller
              aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Flower View Post
                thank you for one of the most interesting Ripper-related books out there.
                Aww... that is a very kind thing to say, thank you!

I'm willing to give a talk about Chapman and his candidature and poison murders to anyone who cares to books me!

Helena

Comment

Aww... that is a very kind thing to say, thank you!

I'm willing to give a talk about Chapman and his candidature and poison murders to anyone who cares to books me!

Helena
                  Hi Helena
                  Congrats! I never had a chance to read your book, but I was wondering do you (your book) put forth an opinion that you think Chapman was the ripper and/or a valid suspect?
                  "Is all that we see or seem
                  but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                  quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                    Hi Helena
                    Congrats! I never had a chance to read your book, but I was wondering do you (your book) put forth an opinion that you think Chapman was the ripper and/or a valid suspect?
                    Hi Abby

The book hasn't disappeared yet ... in fact I have just ordered a new edition to be printed. And it's also on Kindle, very cheap.

Chapman is still a valid suspect because there isn't anything that can rule him out definitively. For example, I didn't find proof that he was in another country in 1888 or anything like that which would make it impossible.

However, I do go into his candidacy in very great detail in the book, carefully picking over, one by one, every single reason or clue or "proof" that Ripperologists and authors and policemen have put forth over the decades that make them suspect (or be sure) that he was JtR.

I cannot reproduce the book here, but what I can tell you is that an awful lot of the reasons, or evidence that have/has been cited in support of his candidacy has on closer inspection turned out to be either a misunderstanding, a half-truth, a rumour, or indeed a regular downright lie.

I go to great length to remove each and every piece of "evidence" that does not stand up to scrutiny, and then take a good hard long look at what we are left with, which is, in a nutshell, he was definitely a murderer (i.e. the poisonings) and he definitely lived in the East End, near the scenes of all the murders, in 1888.

Helena

Comment

Hi Abby

The book hasn't disappeared yet ... in fact I have just ordered a new edition to be printed. And it's also on Kindle, very cheap.

Chapman is still a valid suspect because there isn't anything that can rule him out definitively. For example, I didn't find proof that he was in another country in 1888 or anything like that which would make it impossible.

However, I do go into his candidacy in very great detail in the book, carefully picking over, one by one, every single reason or clue or "proof" that Ripperologists and authors and policemen have put forth over the decades that make them suspect (or be sure) that he was JtR.

I cannot reproduce the book here, but what I can tell you is that an awful lot of the reasons, or evidence that have/has been cited in support of his candidacy has on closer inspection turned out to be either a misunderstanding, a half-truth, a rumour, or indeed a regular downright lie.

I go to great length to remove each and every piece of "evidence" that does not stand up to scrutiny, and then take a good hard long look at what we are left with, which is, in a nutshell, he was definitely a murderer (i.e. the poisonings) and he definitely lived in the East End, near the scenes of all the murders, in 1888.

Helena
                      Did he pass them on his way to work though?

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
                        Did he pass them on his way to work though?
                        Yes, Trevor, VERY topical! Shawl jokes out of fashion, now?

BY the way, I am still awaiting your review to add to this page:

Comment

Hi Abby

Helena
                          Thanks Helena
                          Do you think he was the ripper?
                          "Is all that we see or seem
                          but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                          quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                            Thanks Helena
                            Do you think he was the ripper?
                            After seeing that documentary last night I think Lechmere was!

Comment

The talk went down very well on Wednesday. I got them all laughing, which is always a good ice breaker, and there were people asking questions and buying books at the end.

The hosts were most hospitable and friendly, and gave me a nice chicken curry afterwards!

Received a nice letter of thanks, inviting me to view the Crime Museum in May.

Attached a clip from it. I see they got the year wrong!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X